When I lived down the Meadows in the 1960's Dad, my sister & me had Summer County, but Mam would have Best Butter. Next door would always have Stork. In the 70's Dad, my sister & me would have Krona, but Mam would have Best Butter. Then along came I Cant Believe It's Not Butter & Utterly  Butterly & we'd have that, except Mam, she still had Best Butter. At in laws house it was always Flora low fat stuff for everyone, never saw Best Butter there. Nowadays we have Aldi's Norpak or Lurpak spreadable if it's on special offer as Wife likes them, I'm not bothered & can have any of the butters but I have whatever the gaffer says....

Wonder what happened to Summer County, Krona, Echo, Stork & other margarine's?  

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10152997535460382

I don't believe so but if I'm paying the piper, I call the tune. If I order steak well done I don't want some prissy chef flouncing  around going...merde, zut alors, sacre bleu and all that... and ins

My Parents shake salt over every meal before they have even tasted a bit of it, salad is the worst - its go to be 40% salt by the time they're finished. And then they have the audacity to say..it adds

My mum wouldn't give house room to margarine of any kind. Her favourite was Lurpak Butter. I'm a butter fiend, too, but I prefer Achor. I do use the Anchor Spreadable Tubs but also like the standard butter. I also like Kerrygold and one or two others but it has to be butter for me.

• Like 1

Summer county, Echo, Stork, along with Blue Band was by Van den Berg. Not sure about Krona. V.d.B also had a catering side, which came under the name Craigmillar. 

Remember the slogan 'You can't tell Stork from butter'!  As boys we reckoned we could but my dad new better.  One day he presented us with a selection of butter/margarine crackers and asked us to say which were which.  We duly carried out a taste test and proudly gave him our opinions, some butter, some margarine.  Of course, they were all the same either margarine or butter, can't remember which.

Favourite spread nowadays is Aldi's Nordpak - guess what it's a copy of, don't know how they get away with it!

16 minutes ago, Paradiddle said:

Favourite spread nowadays is Aldi's Nordpak - guess what it's a copy of, don't know how they get away with it!

Very very similar packaging too.  Lidl’s also have a copy.  
We had Summer County when I was young, didn’t know any difference and it was, I assume, all down to cost. 

I’ve always preferred slightly salted butter but don’t have any preference, I  mostly buy the spreadable stuff but usually have some  real butter in the fridge too, it does taste a lot nicer.  

I don't remember the TV ad for Summer County margarine but the music stuck in my head.  I think it was Elizabethan Serenade by Ronald Binge.

A neighbour of mine pronounced margarine with a hard g (as in Margate).

Given a choice I would go for President, either salted or unsalted. Lovey on a breakfast roll with a bit of jam. !

I just can't win with you can I? You don't like creamed mushrooms and now you don't like President. Next it'll be you don't like Brains faggots or Haggis. :hungr:

• Upvote 1

Summer County gave away a disc at the height of the trad jazz boom, thus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emDLk9FW6t0

My hearing used to be better and now I can't tell talk from mutter.

Of course,  now I can afford more than marge, or bread and dripping, its got to be Kerrygold, and no more Shiphams meat or fish paste on Sunblest or Wonderloaf.

Yours greasily brylcreemed, B.

10 hours ago, colly0410 said:

When I lived down the Meadows in the 1960's Dad, my sister & me had Summer County, but Mam would have Best Butter. Next door would always have Stork. In the 70's Dad, my sister & me would have Krona, but Mam would have Best Butter. Then along came I Cant Believe It's Not Butter & Utterly  Butterly & we'd have that, except Mam, she still had Best Butter. At in laws house it was always Flora low fat stuff for everyone, never saw Best Butter there. Nowadays we have Aldi's Norpak or Lurpak spreadable if it's on special offer as Wife likes them, I'm not bothered & can have any of the butters but I have whatever the gaffer says....

Wonder what happened to Summer County, Krona, Echo, Stork & other margarine's?  

I Like your mum she was very wise,

• Like 1

Don't eat marg never have, if I can't have Lurpack the sooner have dry brea

No one mentioned Kraft margerine? Bteer than most but not as good as real butter out of a tub on Marsdens counter...

Kraft Marg,,...8oz in blue box about 1/3...circa 1960......Tub butter (mentioned a couple of times pre') 3/6 LB...........Marsdens Quality stores,,

Ben, did you use the butter pats/paddles? Little square ones with corrugated sides to make blocks for selling to Mrs.Jones etc.3/6d thank you.

Serated  wooden Patters.....1/2  LB Mrs Williams?....thanks thats 1/9.......sorry Dolly was late last night and her stockings were ripped,,,she fell off me Granville............She be ok tonight,,catching the 17 into Bulwell,,,.......going to see 'Robin and the 7 Hoods'' at the Delphi....

• Like 1