We never add salt to food or have salt on the table, I do remember Christmas Day when Mrs Red cooked dinner, both my Son-in-law & father-in-law salted their food before even tasting it, must admit it did annoy me, I would have loved to have picked the table up & chucked it, but that would have ruined Christmas Day. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10152997535460382

I don't believe so but if I'm paying the piper, I call the tune. If I order steak well done I don't want some prissy chef flouncing  around going...merde, zut alors, sacre bleu and all that... and ins

My Parents shake salt over every meal before they have even tasted a bit of it, salad is the worst - its go to be 40% salt by the time they're finished. And then they have the audacity to say..it adds

My Parents shake salt over every meal before they have even tasted a bit of it, salad is the worst - its go to be 40% salt by the time they're finished. And then they have the audacity to say..it adds flavour. No, it adds SALT. My blood boils. There's never any interest in say Pesto, Horseradish, Speciality Pepper, Herbs etc etc. even when out on table.

Is it something to do with age or being a smoker ??

Our Sunday dinner when kids in the 60's  had a ton of salt added to every cooking pan - no wonder I cant touch salt now ( well except on a few chips, but i also add pepper was well- weird i know) 

• Like 2

I love adding black pepper and freshly ground peperoncino ( chilli) to everything. Not quite everything but you know what I mean. I can't stand ready ground chilli powder , it tastes old and musty.

When I first went to Sicily with my husband before we were married we visited his aunt and uncle. The aunt prepared a green salad to accompany the main course and it was so salty. I didn't like to leave it as I thought it bad manners but somehow made an excuse that I was so full ( then missed out on the dessert). Since then i only use evo and balsamic with just a tiny sprinkling of salt . Much tastier.

It's a almost perfect climate here for growing and drying chilli peppers and we grow lots of them. We have the walls of the outbuildings festooned with chilli plants hanging up to dry - plenty for us and the village.The problem with them is that, even when dry, they are quite soft in texture and difficult to grind into a powder. We have found that a quick oven dry roast and treatment in a liquidiser works wonders but only do a few at a time to preserve freshness.

3 hours ago, jonab said:

It's a almost perfect climate here for growing and drying chilli peppers and we grow lots of them. We have the walls of the outbuildings festooned with chilli plants hanging up to dry - plenty for us and the village.The problem with them is that, even when dry, they are quite soft in texture and difficult to grind into a powder. We have found that a quick oven dry roast and treatment in a liquidiser works wonders but only do a few at a time to preserve freshness.

This year I only have one chilli plant and I haven't picked them but they look very dry and crinkly but are still soft. It's very humid here so think I will have to bring them in for a "quick roast". 

Years ago our old neighbour asked me if I liked chilli, when I said I did he brought me a huge plant of them complete with the roots. I dried them all and put them in oil. That oil and chillies lasted us years. We had a bar at that time ( 40 yrs ago) and my son and husband had to be there for opening at 6am, getting there to prepare briocche etc for breakfasts. During our winters the temperature around that time used to be 18- 20 c below zero so my husband used to open the jar of chillies and take out a couple and eat them , warming him up as he got outside maybe to shovel snow away. As the oil went down I topped it up with fresh to " dilute " it a bit because it was very strong. 

We had  friends round for dinner one evening and knew one of the men liked chilli so we offered it to him and he piled it up on his plate and said it probably wasn't as strong as he liked it......he changed his mind and colour after tasting it. ( served him right for bragging) :rulez:Taste first

Jonab I don't use the pepper mill for grinding them I use a small coffee grinder and keep it for that reason. But careful when you take the top off ...stand back and keep it away from you. 

It's very low humidity here (most of the time) so chillies ripen and mature perfectly. As for grinding them, we also use a coffee mill for small amounts - I meant to say that although liquidiser slipped on to the keyboard - same mode of action though.

The wife of one of the vintners in the village here who makes a chilli conserve (with my chillies) and we get a few pots in payment. As far as I know, it's just chillies and sugar bashed up together.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 1/7/2022 at 5:17 PM, trogg said:

nonnaB I am still still waiting to hear when you are making the buns, I should hate arriving too late.

PS lurpak only on mine.

Trogg you are in luck. Lurpak is a bit difficult to find here but found some the other day. Our butter is very good but its unsalted. You DO get used to it though.

Anchor is my all time favourite. I still have it now, although often the spreadable type. Mum's favourite branded butter was Lurpak but it's too insipid for me.

When we were growing up, mum wouldn't have margarine in the house. 'Axle grease!' she used to say. She was visibly shocked when one of her well to do friends said her family ate Summer County Margarine!  I think we used to have Friary Butter from one of the supermarkets and that was good but until the big boys put him out of business, our local grocer sold tub butter and mum always bought that.

2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Another popular New Zealand butter in the 60s was 'Anchor''............

Yes Ben I'd forgotten about that, just remembered Irish Kerrygold butter from the 60s too. You can get it in Woolworths here at $A5.50 for 250 grams about twice the price of a local brand