I'm not a lover of fizzy wines full stop.  I mostly drink red.  Even with chicken :Shock:..  I just don't care...  :laugh:

Fizzy wines get you tipsy quicker. Something to do with the carbon dioxide getting the alcohol to the brain quickly. You can’t really savour a fizzy wine. It’s more of a celebratory drink. There’s an article in this month’s NFU Countryside magazine on British sparking wines. Of the 13 wines tasted, the cheapest was £22 and the most expensive was £45.99. Can’t see people queuing up at those prices. I buy online now, like I do most things.I did try Laithwaites but they used Yodel for deliveries and were erratic. I’m currently trying Virgin Wines and their deliveries by DHL are first class. The Pizo is highly recommended!

Lizzie should the occasion come by again on Asti Spumante make sure it's produced in Piemonte. To be precise Asti and Alba regions. Canelli produces some good ones as all the areas around those towns. On sparkling wines, Moscato is slightly sparkly and IS mostly drunk for celebrations with desserts but I much prefer the still version . It's has a beautiful taste. Price wise does vary a lot.But if you get the right region you can't go wrong. 

Most wine producers make wine from other regions a bit like cheese is made out of area. Not quite the same as the original but if you like it that's fine and you enjoy it.

Cheers

Nonna, we don’t drink sparkling wine very often, I don’t mind it as a celebration tipple and we have a few bottles of champagne in the cellar but tend to forget about them.  We last drank Asti Spumante on our Wedding Day ...... 45 years ago!   I don’t know much about wine and tend to buy wines that others have recommended.  We’ve had a few bottles of a Malbec in the recent past but to be honest I’m happy with a large Barcardi and Diet Coke, ice and lemon too of course, just swigging one right now, I need it to get to sleep quickly as I’m up at the crack of dawn to let the hound out for a pee! 

• Like 1

Lizzie neither do we and we tend to forget. In our kitchen we have 3 wine racks and in one of them we had moscato and Spumante. One morning I came into the kitchen to find they had exploded all 8 of them,and there was Spumante everywhere, up the walls , over the phone, the intercom and the floor. What a mess, it took ages to get rid of the stickyness and smell ( should be bouquet but it was smell) since then we only put empty bottles there and store the others but then we don't have a cellar so we get a few bottles when needed.

Emily and George, my relatives who lived in Garden Street, were avid makers of home made wines and cordials. Their elderberry wine was legendary. One year, in the early hours, there was a loud bang, followed by many others.  The entire stock of wine had exploded!  Emily put it down to faulty corks. It had never occurred before. Proper corks in those days, too.

We had a Christmas without elderberry wine. The raspberry vinegar was unaffected though.

We once had and elderly lady in the village who was an expert on homemade wines. One warm summer evening she held a charity wine tasting in her garden. I’ve no idea what the strength was but I’ve never seen so many people who were totally blotto. Homemade wines can be dangerous!

Agreed Phil, my dad was teetotal but he enjoyed making wines. When Alex first came to meet my parents dad served the wine in small glasses because we had no wine glasses. Alex thought " crikey he's a bit mean".   Afterwards he realized and has stayed away from homemade wines since. We do make Limoncello though and once I made a mint liquore that was nice very refreshing..