46 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

There are people who start the day by imbibing a glass of their own urine! :blink:. I prefer not to think about it.

I remember reading that Ghandi was a devotee of the practice although it is now claimed to be an urban legend...

I’ve been researching it, obviously, and it’s probably OK in small quantities but best not swigged. There is no beneficial effect - quite the reverse in fact. I’ll report back on my bottle of Pizo when I can pluck up the courage to try it!

Actress Sarah Miles stated, in 2007, that she had been drinking her own urine for 30 years for health reasons.’ Wikipedia

Her father, Bernard Miles, who played Joe (“What larks Pip old chap”) in an adaption of ‘Great Eggspectations’ by Charles Chickens, famously stated, on the subject of urine drinking ‘It looks good, tastes good and by golly (a word now not allowed) it makes you violently sick. Or was that about Mackeson, but probably equally true? I am also reminded of the Shipstones claim that all their ales were ‘drawn straight from the Trent’.

I once took a swimming course at Sneinton Baths. The contents of the pool were said to be 60% urine and 42% chlorine, I think the Maths am correct, weak grandma as well. The chlorine killed 99% of all known germs, but sadly it was the other 1% that harmed so many children.

Oh well, must go and pour another glass of pizo to drink at my convenience. Cheers B.

I always wondered where he expression 'pi**ed out 'is 'ead' came from. Do newts drink it as well?

Hate to be pedantic but Bernard Miles was not Sarah's father. He did, however, give one of the greatest portrayals of a Dickensian character (Joe Gargery) in cinematic history in one of my favourite films.

re: Parentage Hi  Jill,

Whoops, all my certainties are shattered. That'll teach you not to believe a single word I say. Thank you for your pedantry, and, of course, for introducing me to this site. Pizos all round!

And remember

Please do NOT URINATE in our bus shelter. Go and find a bush somewhere else.

Cheers, B.

I had a couple of glasses of the 'Pizo' last night and I'm still alive. It's a Shiraz so it was dark and fruity. Not at all bad. I don't normally drink Spanish wines because they used to be somewhat indifferent but this was of a good quality. Change the name and they might sell more!

Dolly liked a drop of Wine Phil.........always telling her down the Welfare......''SIP IT''........Don't Supp-it..........

On 7/27/2020 at 10:42 AM, philmayfield said:

I’ve just received a case of assorted red wines from Virgin Wines. I didn’t check when I ordered and have just discovered three bottles labelled ‘Pizo’. I don’t speak Spanish so I have doubts about the content!

I recently took a similar delivery.  The Pizo is rather nice in my estimation...  Try not to panic..  :)

• 3 weeks later...

7401-F3-A2-2456-493-E-8432-1-B205-CB7-FD

Wine Story entrance. Notice the vines at top of photo. These grapes were picked this morning and put outside my sons restaurant for anybody to help themselves. The problem is everyones got vineyards or access to grapes so they are going very slowly. He has 6 boxes on a table outside and many more boxes inside.. Shame you are not all here.

• Like 2

Jill ive been looking for some beautiful photos of red wine but none of them will copy. My son has a cellar with almost 4000 bottles. some of the fotos show these cellars.

• Like 1

I enjoy white AND red wine but only drink red with a meal.  Discovered a beautiful red in Aldi a few months ago, at a very reasonable £7 a bottle So I went back and bought a few for our ‘cellar’ (which can’t compare with the Wine Story cellar)! 

62-C17463-AED9-4-BC7-8-DC8-6-B064139-A61

• Like 1

I used to get some good reds from Aldi years ago and they were very reasonable. Nowadays, I have my wine delivered and the price and quality are excellent.  Not that I'm a heavy drinker. It's good for my cholesterol! 

:P

• Like 1

Lizzie I too prefer red with meals but to drink on its own I prefer white. The only wine I don't like is sparkling, With the exception of Moscato but a still Moscato is even better. Winter is my time with wine, summer just doesn't seem right with wine not even white but last Sunday's wine was delicious.

Weve had a bad few days of violent storms every afternoon and this mornings local news said that Astigiani had had an extremely bad deluge and had ruined lots of grapes. The vendemmia has just started and grapes that have not been picked have been ruined. August is a terrible month for the weather suddenly changing and ruining the following years wine produce.Hope they managed to finish the vendemmia in time before the next " Bolla d'acqua"

Theres been flash flooding in lots of places around here.

Your mention of sparkling wines reminded me of our journey from Castagnole delle Lanze to Bolzano the other year.  We stopped to get fuel and they had cases of ‘Asti Spumante’ (questionable though) on the forecourt for about €10.  Always keen for a bargain, my dear husband was all for buying a case but thankfully he listened to me for once!