I remember when I was about 13 a group of us cycled to Papplewick lido from Radford. Most of us were keen cyclist and had decent bikes. Not expensive machines, mine was a Raleigh I’d saved £10 for but well sorted and well used (although one lad had a Claud Butler racer I was jealous to death of). One of the group didn’t have a bike of his own so borrowed his mums rsw 16. The tyres were pretty flat and it was really hard work To pedal so we took it in turns to ride it there. The weather turned out not as nice as we hoped and the water, fed by an underground spring I believe, was ice cold and I didn’t dip more than the tip of my toe in. On the way home none of us fancied a go on the rsw again so we left him in our wake. I think he ended up walking home. Theres solidarity for you.

I remember the Raleigh RSW 16 - I think it was Raleigh's answer to the Moulton.

RSWs had small wheels like the Moulton, but thicker tyres, and was much better to ride; faster and more comfortable.

• 7 months later...
On 7/29/2020 at 10:21 AM, Cliff Ton said:

I remember the Raleigh RSW 16 - I think it was Raleigh's answer to the Moulton.

RSWs had small wheels like the Moulton, but thicker tyres, and was much better to ride; faster and more comfortable.

I started on a rsw11....me mam had the rsw16 and still had when I got the Moulton.... I can tell you the Moulton it were >lighter, faster and because the Moulton had suspension it were more comfy

PP., going back to July  last year you posted that your rowing bike had the rear of a RW16.  Did you actually build it yourself? Is it propelled by rowing action rather than pedals?

Yes Beekay, it is propelled by rowing. The bike cranks are parallel and driven by a reciprocating motion. It's in bits at the mo but I'll rebuild it soon and upgrade the bearings and con rods. I'll also fit a brake. The brake will be operated by a beer engine pump handle and pivot. Got all the pieces but not had the time yet.

• 1 year later...
On 7/29/2020 at 1:56 AM, Baznotinnotts said:

Suddenly remembered I had taken some photographs to be developed, ages ago. "Be ready tomorrow" I was told

'Some day my prints will come' ... KODAK FILM WALLET, featuring a 'box' camera.

Some day my prints will come. 1 shilling and elevenpence halfpenny, a bit steep.

B.

Photo express ??