Manor Farm Inn and Gun Deck Disco

Who remembers Moor Farm Inn?

Very recently some friends of mine were reminiscing about Moor Farm Inn and seeing Judas Priest at the Gun Deck !

I never saw Judas Priest, but as a teenager I used to manage the Gun Deck on a Saturday night. I was at Bilborough Grammar at the time. 

Two bars... the slops were collected at the end of the night and added to Double Diamond kegs to make ‘mild’. 

One customer ordered three double brandies with Stones ginger. I made them, turned around and the customer was gone. I had to drink them myself. Lovely!

Edwyn Starr was a regular performer, I used to do his DJing for his PAs. He was a lovely guy and, bizarrely, a Bramcote resident.

War. Huh. What is it good for?  Absolutely nothing, say it again. 

The ‘cellar’ was in the attic. 

I must have been well thought of by the owners, as one weekend I got a panicked phone call from one of them... the chef hadn’t turned up!

I did all the starters and main course cheffing. No training or experience, I just got on with it. Making prawn cocktails and heating up the powdered soup. Deep frying chips and chicken quarters and grilling steaks and tomatoes. Peas and mushrooms were kept in vats of hot water and ladelled out. Amazingly, nothing got sent back!!!

Happy days. 

• Like 1

Is that the one that was opposite to what is now Bramcote crematorium?  If it is, I believe it  to be Moor Farm.

Had our son's 18th birthday bash there in 1985  (February). The bus  we'd  hired for our guests from Snape Wood, broke down on the way back at 11.30pm, near Bilborogh grammar school. It was snowing and bloody freezing.

• 4 weeks later...

ISH,,Big ginger bloke Scottish i think,,played centre half........my brain keeps forgetting names,,,watched Dennis Waterman the other night in a programme (cant think of its title)  Waterman's name wouldnt come to me ,until next day.....

Thats the chap........you know Den been trying to recall him since i got up..........he had horse riding stables there  as well.............

• 4 months later...

I remember Moor Farm very well. Was my place of retreat at the weekend with my friend Lorraine Eastern. We both went to Bilborough Grammer school in 1969 and went through to 6th and 7th form. My name was Lynn Brown. 

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...