I just bought some new garden equipment

it's cutting hedge technology.

• Like 5

Bet they have branches all over.

• Like 2

Phil, even hedgerow trees can have some nasty bits of metal in them, many farmers will secure their fencing wire to trees along the hedgerow with staples. Trees are cheaper than tee posts.

I've even come across a tree that had grown around a tee post, that would make someone with a chainsaw jump when the chain caught it and broke.

Trees around field fencing and around houses I metal detect with a carpenters type metal detector for safety. My sole winter heating is wood, so my chainsaw gets a good workout annually.

Screenshot-20200812-233118-Maps.jpg

How about trying a chainsaw through this tree. It's just a couple of miles down the road from me.

Wonder how long it took to swallow the fence?

Doesn't take them many years BK, I've seen tee posts sticking out of trees, fencing wire going in one side of a trunk and out the other side.

Only had two chains break on me, lucky the "chain catcher" stopped them wrapping around my wrist.

Tree pruning is also becoming a problem for me, Tuesday I heard a loud crack and found a branch had broken off a Victoria plum tree. It was full of plums ready for picking, neighbours now have plenty for jam. To rub salt into the wound the same happened Wednesday this time to a pear tree, but these were not ready for picking so it will be a trip to the recycling centre. All this because I did not prune last year.

So I have just ordered from Amazon a battery powered long reach tree pruner, at the top end is a small chain saw, so no more struggling to reach branches with a small pruning saw or a long handled lopper. 

It's 2 years ago that our apple tree fell down with a huge crop of apples on it.  Because some of the roots were still in the ground, we watered it copiously twice a day and the apples continued to mature until they were fully ripe.  We picked all of them before cutting the tree down leaving about 9  inches of the trunk still on its side above ground.   Shoots started growing from this stump and we now have several strong shoots and lots of smaller ones growing upright.  I suppose we'll leave it as it is uand see what happens......

The shoots will be coming from the rootstock on which the variety was grafted. It will be interesting to see if you eventually get any fruit although rootstocks don't usually produce decent apples. The particular rootstock primarily determines the size of the tree.

Do you think we should cut off all the shoots except the strongest one and stake it as it grows taller?

The problem is you're not going to get a good apple. Rootstock fruit is small and tasteless. You have two choices. Get the root ground out and put in a new tree or, let the rootstock flourish and prune as necessary to make a feature of it. I would go for the latter option and be creative.

I agree with leaving it as a feature and have already planted primulae, bluebells and snowdrops round it.  I think I’ll just call it an apple bush (which probably won’t bear apples). I was sort of hoping it would have blossom on but because I’ve been trimming it, there was nothing this spring

• Like 1