Trini Lopez and Wayne Fontana

More of the soundtrack of my youth gone

Amid all the news about Covid 19 the weather and the behaviour of elements of the populace during the last week we lost two more voices from the 60's

Sadly Trini Lopez died from complications due to Covid 19 aged 83. I particularly remember "If I Had A Hammer" and "Lemon Tree"

Wayne Fontana and The Mindbenders with "The Game of Love" and as a solo artist "Pamela Pamela", apparently after leaving the music scene he led a somewhat troubled life.

Thanks for the musical memories

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I thought Wayne Fontana and The Mindbenders were quite underrated. I particularly liked their unusually titled 1964 single  “Um, um, um, um, um ,um” and also enjoyed their recording of “Stop, Look and Listen” a catchy early 60s offering.
Your quite right Oztalgian he was troubled soul but was right in there with the 60s music revolution that kicked off in Liverpool with the Fabs. RIP Wayne.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2020 at 2:31 AM, Oztalgian said:

More of the soundtrack of my youth gone

Amid all the news about Covid 19 the weather and the behaviour of elements of the populace during the last week we lost two more voices from the 60's

Sadly Trini Lopez died from complications due to Covid 19 aged 83. I particularly remember "If I Had A Hammer" and "Lemon Tree"

Wayne Fontana and The Mindbenders with "The Game of Love" and as a solo artist "Pamela Pamela", apparently after leaving the music scene he led a somewhat troubled life.

Thanks for the musical memories

Only just spotted this. Yes.. sadly.they are all leaving us..

I have a copy of Wayne's 'Pamela Pamela' on 45.   In common with most UK groups of the time.. Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders did a lot of covers of US songs.  Um, Um, Um, Um , Um, Um. was a cover of the original by Major Lance....a US artist who was little known and appreciated here when I was playing his songs .'The Monkey Time'.. and 'The Matador' in the late 60's early 70s.  The 'Northern Soul crowd latched onto him later.. particularly for 'The Beat'.

I first came up here to Merseyside with the soon to be Mrs Col. for a party. There.. one of the highlights was hearing Trini Lopez singing 'If I had a Hammer' on what I recall as a live recording.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, DJ360 said:

.....hearing Trini Lopez singing 'If I had a Hammer' on what I recall as a live recording.

Funny how I remember often hearing that on the radio when I was a kid (you're a bit older than me ;)).

At that time, I didn't really understand what the song was about and I thought it was lyrically childish and stupid. Hearing it now, it's very nostalgic for the early 60s, and I have a much better opinion of it.

• Like 1