I've just been into the orchard to check if the damsons are ready to eat. I've eaten a dozen and can feel a tummy upset coming on. Lots of windfall Bramleys though so maybe a blackberry and apple pie on Sunday!

I have just looked out of the window and seen what the wind has brought down, so it looks like I will have to find out how to make pear chutney, after I have found out to make it, they are still not ready for eating. 

We were given some windfall Conference pears a couple of days ago.  I peeled and cooked them with sugar and water and we had them with custard - they were very tasty.    I have heard you can cook pears in a red wine sauce.... 

17 hours ago, philmayfield said:

can feel a tummy upset coming on

1 & 2 up, what about double vision youth? :crazy:

• Like 1

Very few damsons here this year. Heavy crop every 3 years. Pears still on the tree!

51 minutes ago, radfordred said:

1 & 2 up, what about double vision youth? :crazy:

I was correcting the spelling of Bourguignon and didn’t realise my hour was up!

Our tree produces a glut of damsons every year. I was looking for a pitta to push the stones out but the cherry pittas have bad write ups for damsons as they squash the fruits and there doesn’t seem to be a dedicated damson pitta to buy on Amazon. (Take away on ‘t’ and you have an acronym for ‘pain in the arse!)

We are now starting to get figs on my € 1.99 fig tree. It's loaded and we are able to pick 3-4 each day. Just right for breakfast.

Nonna, a friend in our village keeps giving us figs as she has a very big fig tree and there's been a very good crop this year.  I've had to freeze some which I can add to other fruit when I make crumbles.   I like eating them fresh but Paul says he prefers dried figs - do I just slice them and dry them in a cool oven or is it more complicated than that?