• 2 months later...

Back to your question Mick - I seem to remember that Arnold Wakes was held on The Croft between High Street and Front Street. If I remember right they were usually held week after Goose Fair by a few fareground folk who couldnt make the journey to Hull.

Also remember having some good times at Bulwell Wakes alongside the Leen behind the old Midland Bank where ARGOS now is and also at Basford Wakes alongside the railway line accessed down Lincoln St/Church St.

• 11 months later...

Yes it was definitely held on The Croft which for those that don't know Arnold is where the health centre and car park between Front Street and High Street stands.

I stand to be corrected on this but I seem to remember it being held one year on the land behind the Flying Horse pub nearby on High Street too.

On memory, Arnold Wakes would have ended around 1965-ish with the health centre being built shortly afterwards. There is now a fair on the recreation ground on Coppice road in Killisick.

Long Eaton version (to my knowledge) was always referred to as the "Fair" - and is held on the west end of West Park - behind the recreation center.

I think Ilkeston also had one in the weeks following Goose Fair, but I could be wrong.

I think Ilkeston also had one in the weeks following Goose Fair, but I could be wrong.

Yes indeed...quite a big event, dominating the Market Place and down the Bath Street hill.

Understand that it is still held - but haven't attended for almost 40 years!

Cheers

Robt P.

Carlton used to have one in the old brick yard at the top of Marhill road where you used to live Mick

Did you not remember old man? !rotfl!

Yes before the houses were built on the land it Belonged to Pownall.

There were two big Iron gates at the top of the road.

Before your time Ian, but you might be interested in this thread.

http://www.nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=692

Yes before the houses were built on the land it Belonged to Pownall.

There were two big Iron gates at the top of the road.

Before your time Ian, but you might be interested in this thread.

http://www.nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=692

I never knew that either and I lived there for 35/6 years

The brewery ,The land led to the local Carlton expression "It's like Jackie Pownalls junk yard in 'ere"

• 1 month later...

A bit more info about Arnold Wakes from, and according to, 'Arnold with Daybrook and Redhill'.

The Wakes were originally part of the Patronal Festival of St. Mary's commemorating the Nativity of the Virgin Mary. The fair was at that time was held on the Sunday following September 19, just prior to Goose Fair.

It's first venue was on the flower show field on the Flower Show Field (which became Arnold FC's ground on Hallam's Lane), then Worrall Avenue, The Croft and nowadays Coppice Road at Killisick.

• 2 years later...

Dont remember Arnold wakes but remember Basford Bulwell Netherfield and Carlton both on Foxhill Rd and Marhill Rd. All were run by the Mellors family In the very early days this was MELLORS AND HIBBLES FAIR. My grandfather used to by and sell horses for them when they had horse drawn vercles. and my mum knew them really well because her father used to take her with him from when she was a young girl when he came home from the first world war.Hence as we grew up we got to know them well too the ground on foxhill rd near were Texco now is was also the winter home for some of the fair people old Mr James Mellors senior later sold this land and had a bungalow built just above the garage on Cavendish Rd beefy might remember this just before you got to the corner of Rushclife Grove. It was after this land was sold that it moved to Marwood Rd. GRANDAD JAMES MELLORS would often shout me on my way home from school and ask me to bring him things from the shop on my paper round an exusting round Buxton Belper and Cromford Avenues all massive hills as well as up and down Cavendish Rd itself in all weathers.

Come on then your lot, tell us what was your favorire rides and sideshows down at the fairs.Mine were the speedway and the waltzers.

Once nearly fell off the old swinging baskets could not keep my feet on the floor if it had not been four the four big guys behind me grabbing hold of me as I went I might not have been here now to tell the tale or at least I would have been badly injured. PIGGY WAS ONE OF THESE GUYS.Often sez he should have let me go he dont mean it realy.

The old caterpiller could tell some tales too I exspect. He took me on this after we all got of the baskets and this was the real beginning of our relationship although he had taken me home several times before this still make him take me for a walk round the goose fair every year. Think that ashley and issy were with us all that night. deffinightly stayed in the same b and b as us in skegness easter 1969 what a week end that was.

What was the fair (waks) called that was sited opposite 'the swinger' next to the 44 trolley bus terminal north end of Bulwell? !englandflag!

As a kid, my mum would take me on the waltzers, and tell the men working on there to spin us as fast and as often as they could. Never mind what I wanted, LOL. I would also go on the caterpillar and the cake walk [is that the right name, you'd try and walk and it would be going up and down] The dodgems were a must too, not fussy on the big wheel, hated going over the top and coming down, leaving my stomach up in the air.

• 1 month later...

Hi to everyone, just joined the site. I remember Arnold wakes very well, moved to the then large village in 1945/6, yes I know that makes me a Methuselah but hey! I love being old. I think my favourite ride was the flying chairs that were suspended on very thin chains and went round at a good lick. It always surprised me at the amount of rides and stalls that were crammed on such a small plot. One bit of info though, the book of old photos of Arnold and Bestwood says the wakes ended in 1963, that sounds about right from my recollections. Today there is a fair on the playing fields on Coppice Rd and another on Woodthorpe park. Sorry I cannot put the photo of the wakes on site for copyright reasons.

• 1 year later...

I too remember Arnold Wakes. My gran used to live on High Street opposite Wharton's dairy and adjacent to Harry Fish's bakery. A visit to gran's was always great - the smell of baking and the taste of fresh ice cream made in the dairy across the road. The wakes was a landmark in the year. The rides, music, noise of the generators and engines plus the sideshows and fairground stall owners selling their wares and games of skill to the punters. If I was lucky I would have as much as two bob to spend and savoured spending every last penny~~~~~~~Happy days indeed!

• 5 months later...

Picture the Past obliges us with two more pictures of Arnold's very own little Wakes.

NCCC003133.jpg

'Held in September, the wakes were part of the Patronal Festival of St. Mary's Church, commemorating the Nativity of the Virgin Mary held on the Sunday following 19th September.<br />The fair was held on the Flowers Show Field, then Worrall Avenue, then the Croft and finally on Coppice Road.'

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NCCC003133&pos=1&action=zoom&id=67034

NCCC001209.jpg

http://www.pictureth...001209&prevUrl=

• 6 months later...

Back to your question Mick - I seem to remember that Arnold Wakes was held on The Croft between High Street and Front Street. If I remember right they were usually held week after Goose Fair by a few fareground folk who couldnt make the journey to Hull.

Also remember having some good times at Bulwell Wakes alongside the Leen behind the old Midland Bank where ARGOS now is and also at Basford Wakes alongside the railway line accessed down Lincoln St/Church St.

the arnold wakes was held 2 weeks before, goose fair. as all the showman joined up at goose fair,,,,