Miltons Head Nottingham.

Right on the corner of Milton Street and Parliament Street - exactly where the main entrance into the Victoria Centre is now.

It was the pub/bar I had my first drink in.

The Victoria Shopping Centre was the first of it's kind in the UK when it opened in 1974 and led to all the copies we know as Newcastle's Metro Centre, Sheffield's Meadowhall, Thurrock's Bluewater et al.

• 4 weeks later...

My aunt was licensee of the Miltons Head for a short time,can't remember which year but it would have been middle/late 60's ? she also ran The Poets Corner & an offy on Kirkewight st ,my mum used to have a photo, I'll see if I can fish it out when I'm on holiday

There used to be The Dog and Partridge and The Old/Original Dog and Partridge on Parliament Street. I remember the Rutland, Fox and Corner Pin, to name but three.

Many happy hour spent in these 'dives' in my youth.

A ;)

• 4 months later...

I remember the Milton's Head having a big netting over it to protect it from the trolly bus poles! We would see it when we went into Nottingham on the bus from Arnold (57?)

Many years later I remember going there for a beer - it was a very dingy, run down place - but it must have only been a few months before it was demolished for the Victoria Centre.

Ayup Frank,

Is the Imperial still on St James street? There used to be a beer garden at the back that had local groups performing in the late 60s early 70s, usually on a Friday night. One band that comes to mind was called Pink Harmony, Fronted by a fair haired guy named Tony Kicks, I think he came from Clifton

Rog

Ayup Frank,

Is the Imperial still on St James street? There used to be a beer garden at the back that had local groups performing in the late 60s early 70s, usually on a Friday night. One band that comes to mind was called Pink Harmony, Fronted by a fair haired guy named Tony Kicks, I think he came from Clifton

Rog

Hi Rog

Yes the Imperial is still there but it goes by another name now and doesn't reflect the pub we used to know.

My step brother used to play there - he was a drummer in the band called 'The Maze' back in the late 60's.

I used to go there quite regular with the 'Fiance' when we was courtin'.

Do the young un's still do courtin'??

Ayup Radfordred

By the old place looks different now, Those old lanterns outside the building reminded of a time I took a walk around Nottingham one Sunday morning to take photo's of old buildings in the city, when I got the pics back from the developers they were all of old pub fronts, completely unintentional, I suppose they were the only buildings with any character about them. sorry to say someone else fancied the pics when he came to my house uninvited and nicked the tele and video when I was at work.

Rog

• 10 months later...

There was the Blue Bell and then right on the corner was The Peach Tree now known as Langtreys (Or it was last time I looked

What was the pub, on the right on Parliament street just before you got up to the Theatre Royal bit? I think it had green tiles on the frontage and maybe Bruce managed it for a while...............

On the very corner, between the Blue Bell and Langtry's (The Peach Tree) is the Turf Tavern.

Bin into town today, should ave took me camera!

I passed the Fox on Parliament Street. It was 'Number 10' but its now 'Fox's'

Also Clumber Street, sad to see the Lion Hotel has joined the fate of Chrystal Palace.

Bith Amusement Arcades, Which is probably marginally better than the fate of the Dog & Bear?

A TEA SHOP!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

talking of pubs in that area - I have just put a post up asking about a pub on the corner of Shakespear street & Milton street - I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

also:

Did any of you readers use the Whistle Stop ? A great place to begin the night out,,,,,,

I answered your question regarding the name of the pub on the corner of Milton st and Shakespear st, if you haven't read the pubs name is BENSONs.

And yes to the Whistle stop I went in there only on the odd occasion.

The steps that led one down to it are still there but the door at the bottom is locked.

Bip.

had to get the 100 post in today.

Quite a bunch of us used to go in there between stops at Hanfords and Colemans. Seem to remember an older lady behind the bar. She always seemed to take an interest in us and was always friendly.

It certainly wasn't the fanciest place but I have fond memories of it anyway.

Dave

talking of old ladies,,,, we used to bump into one in Yates'. We were about 17/18 & she must have been 75/80. She would always insist on buying us both a drink (pint or Aussie wine) but she would only ever take one back from us,,,,, it was a bit embarrassing at times. Sweet old dear seemed happy enough.

Somehow or other, she got us invited to some terrific parties,,,, one of which up St Annes Well Road, was being raided at the back door just as we were leaving the front ! Never did find out if anything came of it.

• Like 1