Miltons Head Nottingham.

I answered your question regarding the name of the pub on the corner of Milton st and Shakespear st, if you haven't read the pubs name is BENSONs.

And yes to the Whistle stop I went in there only on the odd occasion.

The steps that led one down to it are still there but the door at the bottom is locked.

Bip.

BIP.

It wasn't called Bensons at the time Whistle Stop was open.

I believe there were two "dog and partridge"s: one was on Parliament St around the bridge over Victoria station, it was re-located next to Boots in the Victoria Centre (but still accessed from Parliament St.)

The other was across the street on the corner of "Clinton St??"

There was a thundering great "ole between where the railway went under Parliament St and where it disappeared into the tunnel. Didn't Clinton St go around the big hole?

I think you are right Frank.

Also nearby, was'nt there another Dog & Partridge?

• 2 months later...
BIP.

It wasn't called Bensons at the time Whistle Stop was open.

picked up the Nottingham Drinker on me travels last night and on page 5 titled All Our Yesterdays the Benson pub is mentioned as being originally called Mansfield Arms.

I'll Quote what it says about the history of it; Quote.. Dates from 1894 when it supplied home brewed ales. It was owned by the Nottingham Brewery, later came into the hands of Bradley's and then Shipstone's. Now called Bensons, it's previous name was Ledgers. Conveniently situated next to the entrance to the Victoria Centre. unquote.

Bip.

The pub on the corner of parliament st/ market st facing theatre royal was called parliament house and later the princess. It could be called summat else now

If we are talking of the same pub, it used to be called The Three Bells.

I worked on it in early to mid 60's,,,,

in fact I worked on it on three occasions,,,, I was with a different company each time and it had a different name each time,,, (was one of 'em Travellers Rest or sommat ?)

Baz

• 8 years later...
  • 4 years later...

An uncle of mine worked at the Milton’s Head hotel before the war. I have a pair of rather nice etched glass decanters that came from there. Whether they were a leaving present or he purloined them I will never know! I think there are a few items of cutlery engraved MH kicking around somewhere as well.

Before my time...Always struggled with this, would the location be where the main entrance to Victoria Centre is now?

I remember Benson's roughly facing on Shakespeare St there was a old building, serving as Student Accommodation.

Wasn't there a pub near the exit to Huntingdon St inside Vic Centre?