Has anyone got a bougainvillea?

A few months ago I bought a small plant of bougainvillea to put against a wall between us and next door to make it a bit more private. This morning I tied it up and tidied it up a bit as it was getting a bit raggardy. I'm running out of wall space to tie it up so the obvious shoots that had no where to go I cut off. I have saved the growing tips and placed them in water hoping they will start to root. It has grown so quickly and covered about 2 1/2 meters of wall.

Not a bougainvillea but a wisteria. I’ve seen them growing up the sides of houses in Italy and they look magnificent in bloom. Our solitary plant religiously climbs up a drainpipe and into the gutter. I hack it down every year but it returns again with even more vigour, pushing out runners and popping up everywhere. It’s difficult to dig out as it’s behind other shrubs and close to the wall. If I pour something on to kill it I will destroy other plants.  I’m at my witsteria end with it!

We had one when we lived in Sydney and had to get rid of it because it kept growing into the gutters too and despite cutting it back hard in a month or so the bugger was back in the gutters.

I eventually killed it roots, suckers and all by going to a vet and getting a refillable paste syringe for animals then drilling into the main trunk at angles into the heart wood and then regularly syringing tree and blackberry killer into the holes. If you are careful with the syringe you don't get any of the herbicide on to other plants.

I hope this plant will cover the wall suffiently. It's a low wall , it's not solid and is made from 2 m cement segments. It's basically a decorative wall but next door have a large dog and does an awful lot of barking which in turn starts our dogs off. Then the dogs have a barking match at the wall and drive everyone mad. The neighbour has 4 lemon trees which they put against the wall which in a way protects the view but I need the bougainvillea to provide a bit more. As the wall continues down towards the gate it gets higher as the ground slopes down gradually so I'm really only concerned with the plant getting thicker where it's needed. I think it will have to be protected in the winter as our winters can be severe. It did flower shortly after I planted it but only with 4 flowers and it's not flowered again. When I bought it , it was in full bloom so presume that the flowering period had passed. I'm hoping that the cuttings will root and I can plant them elsewhere.

Its not really in a position that it will do any damage to guttering etc as I'm training it to go along the wall not up it.

7 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Not a bougainvillea but a wisteria. I’ve seen them growing up the sides of houses in Italy and they look magnificent in bloom. Our solitary plant religiously climbs up a drainpipe and into the gutter. I hack it down every year but it returns again with even more vigour, pushing out runners and popping up everywhere. It’s difficult to dig out as it’s behind other shrubs and close to the wall. If I pour something on to kill it I will destroy other plants.  I’m at my witsteria end with it!

When we bought this house, we had a leanto metal shed at the front of the annexe . It was an eyesore but until we decided what to do with it I did a wisteria stencil all over it. It took me ages and I was standing with my back towards the road in the heat of the summer. I was determined to get it done. When it was finished it looked very realistic and was admired by lots of people because they'd never seen anything of this sort. The only stencils that we saw were those on a bedroom wall before we started renovating and were very primitive.

( the house is dated 1886) We eventually pulled the shed down and renovated the annexe for my mum . When she returned to U.K.  My daughter came to live there. 

I still have the stencils that I bought from Victoria centre when there was the stencil shop on the first level. I've used them in various rooms , morning glories in bedrooms and lounge. They adapted to the age of the house but now we don't do them anymore and visitors ask "why not".

BK I did them about 20 yrs ago so now they are well covered and I never did take photos of them. Sorry.