Scene Before In Nottingham

15 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

I remember a wine bar (but not its name) which was on the lower end of Mansfield Road,  approximately opposite the end of Woodborough Road, or a bit further up. It only existed for a few years in the 80s. The entrance was a door at street level, and the rest of the bar was upstairs on the first floor. I didn't like it much, but never liked wine bars anyway. This place isn't mentioned on Moz's website, but it might've been Vino's.

That's a good shout Cliffton, would that be the place, that later, became the Maze?

Over the road, I recall seeing Tony McPhee, supported by Harry Stephenson, this was an underground venue, again my memory escapes me...

The chap that played with Harry, also played the Booze Band Jam at the Gregory (Black Les Paul)

Anybody recall the 'baked bean boogie jam' upstairs at the Imperial on St James's St?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The latest article - about Rock Cemetery. Any extra information welcome.   https://scenebeforeinnottingham.wordpress.com/home/landmarks/church-rock-cemetery/

It happened. I was in the Vernon at the time minding me own business, watching said film when a row of 5 or 6 seats arced across the auditorium in front of the screen accompanied by a lot of shouting

I did A levels at Digby around that time Lizzie and was on the student union . I also used to DJ between the bands breaks on the Saturday night dances . I do remember there being a folk club

9 hours ago, HSR said:

That's a good shout Cliffton, would that be the place, that later, became the Maze?

Not the Maze, I know that and it's not the place. I think my mystery Wine Bar wasn't as far up Mansfield Road as that.

For my website, I'm trying to create timescales. So I want to know roughly when clubs were open. Currently my scales are by decades, but if people know exact dates that would be good. Any help appreciated.

On 4/20/2021 at 1:33 AM, HSR said:

my memory escapes me...

Bobby Browns???

Moz, any info on the Free Appreciation Society ?would be interesting, attended a few 'get together's.

Also, Nottingham Blues Society??? 

Looked into this..other than what iv'e posted on on here, always drawn a blank.. 1989-92

Recall the university having a Rock Society.. Narrowboat and Salutation? 1983?

Pretty sure Ben Bowers was in the old Boots shop at Canning circus, (top of Derby road/Wollaton street.

Of the group of shops (all co-op i believe) immediately below the Albert Hotel, the first shop had a permanent contract with NCT for replacing glass in the first floor windows. The trolley buses in their rush to get away from that stop invariably lost one of their poles through the window.

I remember that doll's hospital too. Not that I ever used it, you understand.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen a picture recently (usually shown on Paul Robey's TV program) of Commerce Square in the Lace Market containing a place called Sgt Pepper. The photo (as on Picture Nottingham) claims to be taken in 1975. Does anyone know if Sgt Pepper was a club?

• 1 month later...

Apparently a live album called 'Both Ears and the Tail' was recorded by Martin Carthy & Dave Swarbrick at the Folkus Folk Club in Nottingham in 1966. Does anyone know where this was?

Cheers Cliff Ton. That would be Digby College then. I used to go there in the 60s to see a few bands. My band, the Salty Dogs, actually played there.

I was a student at Digby from 1966-67 and used to go to the occasional gigs there but don’t remember this pair, but do remember Salty Dogs! 

• Like 1

We just missed each other Lizzie!  I was there from 65-66....before moving on to worse things at People's College. I never heard about the 'Folkus' Folk Club.  I'd have been interested had I known.

And..stop me if I've mentioned this before.. but maybe 25 years ago I walked into the little folk club upstairs at one of the pubs in this here village..only to be greeted by Dave Swarbrick, taking entrance fees on the door.  I went to the bar and then turned, back to the bar to listen to a couple of local lads doing something. A chap next to me nudged me and whispered.. "They're good aren't they..."  I turned to look at him.  It was Martin Carthy.  A lovely chap.  No 'side' as we say in these parts..and a UK folk legend. We shook hands and had a brief but very pleasant chat.  Sadly Dave Swarbrick passed on  few years back.

I still have the album Dave made with the Ian Campbell Folk group around 1960.. before he famously went on to work with Fairport Convention and others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Swarbrick

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Carthy

On 6/6/2021 at 11:03 PM, LizzieM said:

I was a student at Digby from 1966-67 and used to go to the occasional gigs 

I did A levels at Digby around that time Lizzie and was on the student union .

I also used to DJ between the bands breaks on the Saturday night dances .

I do remember there being a folk club but didn't realise it had a name .  I remember a guy called Clive (Roberts?) having something to do with it .

Bizarrely many years later , after we moved to West Cornwall he turned up in our shop one day as he had also moved to our area . 

• Like 2
  • 11 months later...
On 5/5/2021 at 11:38 AM, Moz said:

I've seen a picture recently (usually shown on Paul Robey's TV program) of Commerce Square in the Lace Market containing a place called Sgt Pepper. The photo (as on Picture Nottingham) claims to be taken in 1975. Does anyone know if Sgt Pepper was a club?

In a FB Group which I look at, someone mentions Sgt Pepper......... I was a member of Sgt Pepper's in the late 70s mainly reggae, soul and the membership was mainly coloured, but never any trouble and always a fantastic night.