wedding your bottom drawer

When getting married in the 60s you would collect items for your bottom drawer. What if married in late 50s 60s do you still have?

ME  I brought a kitchen tool set by "Prestige" cost £4 99 I still have the palet knife, 2 large spoon one with slates, also one big fork all have wooden handles.

I have one fish plate from a 46 piece dinner service,

From "Pearsons" a Swan tea crome set still have suger bowl, tray ,and milk jug.                                                                                                                         "Woolworths"  wooden handle knife fork and spoon cost 4/6 each brought a set each week till i had six of each. Not used for a long time as can not put them in dish washer,   well that a start lets see what you can come up with?

• Like 1

I don't think I have anything left from my 'bottom drawer'   but I can remember the first few things I bought.

A double cellular blanket - it was blue and I bought it when Paul and I were visiting Worcester

Two hand towels - one blue and white striped and the other pink and white.

A fitted double quilt

A wicker laundry basket 

i can't remember anything I bought for the kitchen .... I seemed to be concentrating on the bed and keeping clean :rotfl:

• Like 1

hi radford yes your right but these are memories of the good old days  when i/we were young.  ps and they are still in been used.

• Like 1

I have one dinner knife left from my bottom drawer collection. I think I only have that one because it got mislaid in our house moving and didn't get used for years. The bedding and blankets got cut up for dusters years ago.

The last remaining woollen blanket, wedding present from work mates at 'City Uniform on Woolpack Lane' got cut up when Duvets took over from the blankets and quilts. Crockery got broken over the years.

So I cherish my one dinner knife and remember the hard wear shop on 'Main Rd, Gedling' where I used to call every week on payday to buy as much cutlery as I could afford to build my collection.

• Like 2

Nottingham Cattle markets shocking you'll find some life long contents of a draw, locks of hair in tins, old family photos, old wallets, always an alarm clock, keyrings, matchboxes with buttons in just scooped up & chucked in a box for some Eastern European to rummage through  :Shock: 

Suppose it's easier & less stressful to send the house clearance blokes in?  

@radfordred I think it’s sad to see all those things that were no doubt important and maybe precious to the previous owners, being roughly sorted through.   
I’d hate that to happen when we ‘re gone so we’re doing the sorting now and only keeping things which are useful, aesthetically pleasing or of sentimental value.   I reckon it’s a good thing to do now because it’ll save the kids a lot of work when we’re gone and it’s quite therapeutic.  There are a couple of wooden bowls with random stuff in - I expect we all have a drawer or box like that, but generally we don’t have clutter in the house.

I hasten to add that the garage is a TOTALLY different matter, but that is nothing to do with me :wacko:

• Like 1

We had a largish skip a few weeks ago and filled it to the brim from the workshop, shed, garage and some of the garden. We’ve not even started on the house proper yet but we can certainly fill another one. It’s just picking up the enthusiasm to get going but once I start there will be no stopping me. Our problem is that there used to be a waste tip discreetly tucked away on the Southwell/Fiskerton Rd. but in spite of intensive local opposition it was closed. Now we have a 20 mile round trip to either Calverton or Newark. You can see why there’s fly tipping when the councils don’t make rubbish disposal easy.

Round here there is a Facebook group called Eco Ely Trash to Treasure.  Everything posted on there is FREE and it’s amazing what people want.   As soon as anything gets put on the site, someone in the area wants it!.  You have to be quick off the mark.  Recently we have given away an old garden  table and chairs, some terracotta plant pots,  10 concrete slabs, 2 large  polypropylene sheets and a wall cupboard.  It’s very true that someone’s trash is someone else’s treasure!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A bloke I used to work with at NCB xray centre, Cinderhill road, had to go up North to clear his father's place after he died. The house clearance people emptied the place and gave about £7.00 for all the contents. When the workmate came back and told us, he said, " That was all my dads life possessions ,collected throughout his life and it only amounted to 7 quid".

36 minutes ago, MargieH said:

Round here there is a Facebook group called Eco Ely Trash to Treasure.  Everything posted on there is FREE and it’s amazing what people want.   As soon as anything gets put on the site, someone in the area wants it!.  You have to be quick off the mark.  

Call me cynical, but I wonder how many of those items which are snapped up are then sold on ebay ?

Some of the better things might end up being resold but none of the stuff from us was that good!

The  way I see it,  it saves you a visit to the tip and benefits someone else

We had a clear out a few yrs ago when my son and his family decided to take over the top,part of our house. We had 11 rooms , 3 bathrooms 2 terraces and really it was far too big for us. We got rid of and sold most of the furniture only keeping what we needed.

It left us with a small contained flat which was cozy. Now my son is hoping to buy a house and because of covid has been put on hold but last week I decided to have another clear out and sorted all the boxes we hid away . ( it's amazing what you find) I put loads of things for sale on FB local market site. Some of these things are brand new but as I don't need them now they go very quickly as being so cheap. At least it's making a bit more room ( to collect more rubbish) . 

10 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

At least it's making a bit more room ( to collect more rubbish) . 

It's a universal law nonna, rubbish expands to fill the available space...

13 minutes ago, Brew said:

It's a universal law nonna, rubbish expands to fill the available space...

True but don't intend filling up with more rubbish just things that are useful like an extra bed or wardrobe.

8 hours ago, nonnaB said:

useful like an extra bed or wardrobe.

I have a new spare wardrobe.  It was decided that our spare bedroom needed changing, why? we never use it except for storage and me sleeping in it occasionally.   So all furniture was disposed of and new wardrobe and draws were obtained from Ikea.   I refused to pay a lot of money for furniture we didnt need,  only use for storing things we dont want and I am 73 the kids will only throw it away.

All these items were purchased and brought home , oak is going to look good in the room,  my youngest son carried them into the bedroom and he told me he unpacked the wardrobe and put the packaging in the recycling bin to make my life easier.

I looked into the bedroom and as normal  a foolish idiot had picked up the wrong carton,  I now have a white wardrobe and oak drawers,

it means I now have to dispose of a white wardrobe and buy an oak one.

Life is good , these things keep me active and stop me from doing things I enjoy and making mischief.

I take it you mean an mdf wardrobe with a plastic oak-patterned veneer, Trogg.

For a fraction of the price, you could probably have purchased a genuine oak wardrobe and chest of drawers, made many years ago by craftsmen to last several lifetimes, with proper dovetailed joints. Furniture no one wants these days, except people like me who have never been to IKEA! :rolleyes:

Never having committed matrimony, I didn't have a wedding bottom drawer. You still need items to furnish your home, though. There isn't much under my roof that is less than 100 years old and most is considerably older. Among the oldest are two gateleg tables. One is oak. It's a 'handkerchief' table. Another is mahogany. Both are what is termed ' a reconstruction of period timbers',  some of which are Tudor in origin. Then there's an oak longcase of similar construction, along with a little table of Stuart origin.  In antique terms, none of them is 'right' but they are quirky and I love them.

I love going round the antique shops. Hemswell, Horncastle, Navenby, Heanor, Stamford, Uppingham, Newark, Lancaster and anywhere else I find on my travels - which have been somewhat curtailed over the last few months. I’m currently in pursuit of a chaise longue so I’m about to start searching again.