We’ve been doing a lot of online shopping since the pandemic started. Primarily from Amazon. As we live 100yds from the lane I’ve fitted a large parcel box, next to the post box at the bottom of the drive. Still the vans continue to drive up to the house. One of the problems with Amazon is many of their boxes are considerably bigger than their contents and won’t fit in the parcel box. Yesterday a van unnecessarily drove up to deliver an Amazon envelope which they shoved through the letterbox. I’m awaiting a largish sign, from Amazon, which asks them to put parcels in the box so we’ll see if that works. Amazon packaging Is excessively wasteful and produces far more material than will fit in the recycling bin so I have to get rid of it by burning thus pushing out more CO2. I don’t personally have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I buy bits and pieces on Amazon from time to time but don't use Prime.   When buying things I notice that the form to complete the purchase is heavily geared and biased towards aiming you at

If it's me you're alluding to I pay an annual fee of £79 for Prime. I use Amazon extensively now for just about anything except food. It's 10 miles round trip to Southwell, 20 to Newark and 26 to Nott

It looks like we're going to have to resort to online shopping owing to restrictions applied by the major stores.   ASDA 2 hand sanitisers, and a 4 pack of toilet rolls.   TESCO 1

Can you not close and lock a gate and put a sign on the gate with instructions. Not quite in the same league but I've had a sign on my door since the end of February, "Please leave all deliveries on the bench under the kitchen window, thank you". It seems to work.

Well the man who delivered the paint aerosol stopped and looked at the box (I could see him from my workshop) but he decided to drive up. The sign’s riveted on now so we’ll see what happens tomorrow when my wife’s clothespegs  order arrives.

There is a gate at the bottom of the drive which is locked at night. I could put in an electric closer and an intercom but the cost of running an armoured cable from the house to the lane would be extortionate.

A while ago I was expecting a delivery from Amazon and they usually arrive around 1pm. Our gate post has an intercom with 3 door bells each with our names on Us , my son and my daughter. The bell for us is very loud and it always makes the dogs start barking. I put a note covering all three names saying " please leave parcel on wall PLEASE DO NOT RING BELL". What did he do? I saw the van from the kitchen window so went out straightaway just as he rang the bell. When I got to the gate he didn't see me and was learning over the wall photographing the pool. When I asked him if he'd seen the note he said he hadn't because he wanted to see the pool as he used to install them. So little hope for your parcel Phil no matter how big it is.

Sort of connected to the heading .

My son and daughter-in-law in Holland had a buying spree on UK ebay for some  well known brands of mainly kidswear . 

Not all sellers were willing to post overseas so 9 parcels came to us to forward them on .

With the aid of a vacuum bag shrunk them all into 1 package , weighing under 4kg .

Yesterday looked online at Parcels2go and they quoted about  £14 (using Parcel Force) to send but as we were passing the local sub Post Office thought I'd try there , for speed , thinking it would be a similar price .

Wrong ! On the scales the counter lady tutted...."Mmmm going to be expensive.....ermmm £61"   (Me gasping.....she pressing more buttons on the screen ) .  "Wait a minute , this might be better  , £38"    

I said still too much  . She said it would be better if you go home re-pack into 2 parcels and they will cost £11 each and that will save you £16 . Makes no sense !

So go home get online onto Parcels2go , give them the weight and dimensions  , choose Parcel Force and paid £15 including an extra £1.50 for speedy delivery . Not only that but it was £1 cheaper for them to pick up from my home as opposed to me taking it to a drop-off point which again seems strange . 

Another reason not to visit the high street !

Having said that Parcel2go don't have the greatest feedback if there's a problem , so hopefully Parcel Force and their Dutch equivalent do their stuff . 

• Upvote 1

It looks like we're going to have to resort to online shopping owing to restrictions applied by the major stores.

ASDA 2 hand sanitisers, and a 4 pack of toilet rolls.

TESCO 1 hand sanitiser. 500g of rice and a 4 pack of toilet rolls.

WAITROSE 1 lobster, 6 quails eggs and 100g of Foie Gras.

ALDI 1 MIG welder, 1 pink sports bra, 2 trumpets and 1 wetsuit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You really know how to spoil a gal Phil. You can always set to and craft her a peg bag, and maybe a nice brass hook to hang it on. Only saying mind.

On 9/27/2020 at 11:28 AM, philmayfield said:

Actually she’s very arty and could easily knock up a peg bag herself but I’m in a generous mood today. The washing machine’s already running as she’s eager to try out her new pegs!

An exciting time ahead then Phil, break out the champagne.;)

On 9/27/2020 at 7:56 PM, Beekay said:

I can lend you a new anniversary present ironing board, should you need it.

Beekay, If ever you are doing any plumbing under the sink and have to lie on your back put the ironing board over the kickboard at the bottom of the cupboard and onto the base of the cupboard and lie on that, no ridge across your back.

Thanks for that tip Oz. Alas, my scrambling under cupboard days are now over. HOWEVER !  I have fastened said ironing board on the side of my car and pretend I'm a Cornish surfer. Stuck badges on saying St.Ives and Bondi beach. Take care cobber!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I was chatting to a friend of ours (he actually works for us in Jamaica when needed) 

Never wanting to be idle he’s taken a delivery job with Amazon, working around the Lake District.  Yesterday he had to drive 12 miles up a single track road to deliver one parcel.  Then reverse all the way back down the lane ........ sorry, that’s a fib!   He said he’s not sure how long he can cope with the job, he leaves the depot at 8am and last night didn’t get home to Haltwhistle in Northumberland until midnight.  

Yes I do similar for Hermes. I am supposed to be doing 2-2½ hours a day - I do it part time just to achieve a bit of regular income. When it peaked last time I was going back to the depot in the afternoon and doing an evening shift as well as all day! I was seemingly delivering more parcels than there is population. (Awsworth and Cossall). The plus side is that I have key worker status with a letter to show the police, or whoever might need to see it, so I can actually get out legitimately.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of times a year we send for items from the British Corner Shop in UK. Items we cant find here.Ten days ago my daughter and i sent for a joint order and seeing now there is a delivery charge we share the price of delivery. ( before it was free on orders over 100€.) I didnt want very much but i needed some T & L's golden syrup . Every size and shape had sold out. Even the 7+ kg that i normally order wasnt available. Ok will have to make do with honey, its not the same but then i found a recipe for a substitute golden syrup. I made 2 jars and baked with it this morning. Its mostly for the GB houses. It doesnt taste the same but taste can be adjusted. I was pleased with the results. Waiting now to decorate the trial run and see how it stands up to the humidity here.

Really no words are necessary . But if this is the consequences of alzheimer for one that has danced all her life, I for one think its wonderful and very emotional. 

https://video.corriere.it/cronaca/ex-ballerina-malata-alzheimer-sente-il-lago-cigni-si-mette-danzare-video-commovente/817f9826-2349-11eb-852a-fddf3d627dac

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Brenda, that clip genuinely made me cry.

It is particularly poignant to me as my villa used to belong to a prima ballerina. I bought it at a knockdown price from her estate and the sale included many of her personal belongings - most of which I donated to museums and ballet schools but I did keep a few items, including her piano and her costume and circlet from one of her Swan Lake performances.

I feel a little bit guilty sometimes as the current market price for the piano alone is more than the total amount I paid for the villa - althought it was pretty much derelict when I bought it.

Tried Amazon prime food shopping this morning. Odered 10:10... delivered 1:21, all present and correct!. Delivery by a retired accountant who apperantly divides his time between picking up pin money delivering grcoeries and playing golf.

I wonder how business will be lost with the drop in impulse buys?