Brew, can you offer any advice regarding Amazon prime? I have absolutely no idea what it is, how much it costs etc. Is there a difference between Amazon and Amazon Prime or is it the same as ordering from Morrisons, Iceland etc? Please forgive my ignorance.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I buy bits and pieces on Amazon from time to time but don't use Prime.   When buying things I notice that the form to complete the purchase is heavily geared and biased towards aiming you at

If it's me you're alluding to I pay an annual fee of £79 for Prime. I use Amazon extensively now for just about anything except food. It's 10 miles round trip to Southwell, 20 to Newark and 26 to Nott

It looks like we're going to have to resort to online shopping owing to restrictions applied by the major stores.   ASDA 2 hand sanitisers, and a 4 pack of toilet rolls.   TESCO 1

I know you asked Brew. I have Amazon prime. Not sure how much it costs in UK but here I pay about €30 per year.If you order anything from Amazon you don't pay the carriage unless it's from an independent seller. If I want anything I always look through to see if it's sent with prime. When you go on the site , at the top there is something about prime , click on that and follow through. I also have Alexa so I listen to prime music and it doesn't cost anything. I think it's convenient but it also depends on whether you order a lot or little. Also films are available. Maybe Brew can explain it better. Good luck.

• Like 1

It's my dearly beloved who has the account, primarily for TV. and it's exactly the  same as online shopping at Morrisions. Without the TV package you are paying a monthly subscription, about £9 a month for little more than free next day deilivery and need to buy quite a lot from Amazon to make it worth while...

With out the TV package I can't say it's worth it.. unless you're rich and live in the Trent Valley of course...   :rolleyes:

Edit: I've just been told it's also the major suplier of her reading material on Kindle and costs £79 a year....

If it's me you're alluding to I pay an annual fee of £79 for Prime. I use Amazon extensively now for just about anything except food. It's 10 miles round trip to Southwell, 20 to Newark and 26 to Nottingham so my car use this year has been negligible. Last month I spent £500 with Amazon on basic household needs which was much higher than usual. Today we received a front door mat and a pack of batteries, yesterday was an aerosol of paint. I've saved considerably more than £79 in fuel this year to date. I don't like going round shops so to have regular deliveries from Amazon is wonderful. I will probably never go into a shop again. I've dealt with Amazon since 2005 but it's only in this lockdown year that I've used them extensively. Amazon is my friend!

• Like 3

Our yearly subscription is 36€ , a lot less than U.K. 

Considering what some items cost to send (e.g. nearly 20€ )  a tin of Tate and Lyles syrup. It works out cheaper in the long run. I always check to see if Prime is offered.

We dont have tv and dont think its available here but could be wrong. I dont think ive seen any reference to tv. We changed our phone company a while ago and free tv was included, we waited and waited for some sort of info then we realised we had to have a smart tv. So we put up with stations that are many but only a few worth watching. Prime films are good should there be nothing decent on but i have to connect laptop to tv, sometimes a bit of a niusance.

Free delivery, BK, and lots of movies and series to watch which is good in these lockdown times. You can cancel anytime you want so you can pay £7.99 for a month’s subscription and see how you go. We watched the newish “1917” movie the other night for free (meh!) and have just binge watched a scandi-noir series called “Those Who Kill” which was good. Give it a whirl for a month. (The “Bosch” series based on the Michael Connelly books are also good). Make sure you have a smart TV with the Amazon Prime app on it, 

I was just checking the things I bought on Amazon over the last 30 days and relating it to the amount of shopping trips I would have had to make. All very mundane household items, no luxuries.

Batteries, door mat, spray paint, electric plugs, wool, wi fi extender, tap connecter, greenhouse vent opener, storage hooks, air filter for lawn tractor, spark plugs, kitchen canisters, electric kettle, toaster, light bulbs, pencils and a tweed baseball cap. When I look at the mileage I would have covered, the time wasted and the parking costs it just makes so much sense to shop on line considering we live out in the sticks. We’re just awaiting the delivery of two fleeces and then there will be nothing outstanding. I’ve more than covered my annual Prime fee in just one month.

• Like 1

We accidentally joined Amazon Prime in the summer while using Amazon to deliver a Kindle book.  When the monthly payments appeared on our  Bank statements, we immediately went to unsubscribe but it definitely wasn’t easy to do!!  We did get 2 month’s refund though.  Since then we’ve been plagued by robot Amazon calls asking us to press 1 to unsubscribe or we’ll be charged £79+ for Amazon Prime.  I presume it isn’t genuine... just have to keep looking at our statements, I suppose

I first joined by ‘accident’ and had to call them to get it cancelled. It was easy. They seemed to have have a department that dealt solely with such matters! I rejoined at the first lockdown and paid for a year upfront. I don’t use the other services available on Prime as they are of no interest. It’s been a godsend during this ‘difficult’ year. I sometimes wonder if we really need two cars now. I am becoming very much of a hermit though and I sometimes think it would be nice to go to the pub for a chat with friends. Two of us around the Christmas table will be very odd!

I buy bits and pieces on Amazon from time to time but don't use Prime.

When buying things I notice that the form to complete the purchase is heavily geared and biased towards aiming you at Prime. For someone who doesn't want Prime, I have to navigate my way into the small print and almost-hidden options to make sure I don't accidentally find myself on Prime.

• Like 3

The beauty of ‘Prime’ is the rapid delivery. When my wife’s hairdryer broke I got a new one on the same day! I suppose it depends on how close you are to the shops. Out here the shops are too far away for minor purchases so it makes sense and is cost effective to pay £79 pa. Obviously if I was buying a car or a large domestic appliance I would want to view it first but for the more mundane everyday stuff, online for next day delivery is great. We get a weekly delivery of foodstuffs online from Morrison’s. We are already booked in for a pre Christmas delivery.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, nonnaB said:

Does U.K. Prime have a free trial for a month?

Yes, Nonna. Beauty of it is, you sign up, and immediately cancel online - still stays valid for the rest of the month. Do it every November, and the better half does December. After a couple of months the offer comes back round!

• Like 1

From my point of view Amazon have kind to me. When my grandchildren were small I ordered some books for them as Christmas presents. They didn't arrive by the provisional date so I rang them. They apologized and reordered them  for me. They arrived the following day. About a week later another parcel arrived containing the books I originally ordered. I rang Amazon again to explain the situation and they told me not to return them but to keep them as it would lead to,confusion.  Recently before the first lockdown I ordered a Dyson dog grooming accessory, it wasn't compatible ( as stated) to my Dyson, so I repacked it and sent the request for it to be collected . It wasn't collected on the first date and neither on the second date. I sent in another request for it to be collected and the same thing happened. There was no way I could sent it back, emails were written between Amazon and the seller and the outcome was ...keep it. So I sold it.

I think its confusing that there are two Primes on Amazon . We have been on the Prime entertainment subscription for years via the Firestick to watch films etc . Without checking , costs about a fiver a month I think.

Then when it was on offer 2 weeks ago for £30 , bought an Alexa Echo 5 and took up the offer of a months trial of Prime free next day delivery and the streaming of 2 million songs .

It's in our kitchen and as well as using her for a timer whilst cooking , great to just say "Alexa play The Beatles White Album" or whatever and it plays with good enough sound for me . 

As well as that our son has one too , so we do video calls with it by just saying "Alexa call Simon".

So impressed were we with the Echo 5 we have upgraded the old  Firestick that was running a bit slow to a new one with Alexa voice control . 

I assume this "new" Prime charge is £7.99 a month for free delivery and free music,  after the trial but whether it includes the film subscription or whether that remains an additional £5 will have to see . We'll certainly keep it going up till Christmas for anything needed .

I have used Prime for quite a few years now. When I first joined it was19.99€ then it increased a few years ago to € 36. I only have it for free delivery and music via Alexa, but for me that's fine and I'm quite happy with that. Just checked to see what is included in our price. Streaming films and serials. Photo storage and something's else that I will check. And preview of offers.

• Like 1

I don't know if it is the same over there, but here, when you subscribe to Amazon Prime you can add a family member for free. Doesn't have to be someone at the same address. Our son added me so I get the free 2 day shipping and Prime TV.

17 hours ago, Brew said:

We can add another to the account and not necessarily at the same address, no extra charge.

I shall have to look into that Brew. 

By what you all pay it seems Italy is the cheapest. That makes a change, every medicinal item costs twice as much as in UK. 

Paracetomol for instance, in UK you can get them in pound shops for 19 p here they cost € 5 for 30 tablets. (500mg) whenever I went to up to Nottingham or my mums I used to go daily into all the cheap shops and stock up. Unfortunately I can't do that now.