Just watched the film all the way through, thank you Let's. Wow!!! Gotta say it brought lots of memories for me. The shot of the trolley bus at the time clock opposite the Locarno, St.Annes Well road, I remember as a novice conductor standing there with my clock card, working on the 40/47 trollies. Did notice on the Goose Fair poster it said 1965, so I was still at Bilborough depot then. Incidentally, at the fair opening, the Lady Mayoress was the good lady who invited my son Andrew to the Council house for tea, (he won a fancy dress competition and the Mayoress wanted to see what he looked like without all his make-up. The invite letter to him finished off with, " If you wish to bring your parents you may do so". That was when I was able to park my battered old Ford Anglia outside the Council house, next to the L/H lion.

Thanks Let's, much obliged.

• Like 2

I really enjoyed the video, so many buildings and shops that no longer exist.  It's as if the person doing the filming knew that such a lot of Nottingham was soon to change.  

Thanks for that letsavagoo!

Incredibly good quality footage as well. Those kind of videos are often hand-held wobble-cam; that is really professional.

I'm intrigued by the written description on the Mace web page. It's talking about a different film. Just proves you can't always believe what you read on the internet.

Excellent little film.  Left me wanting  more.  I'll be watching it again.  It also struck me how few cars were on the streets back then.  Thanks for posting. 

Edited to add.    I'm thinking that must have been shot on 16 mm or even 35 mm film.  I had a nice super 8 mm cam, but I could never get close to this resolution.

Probably a Bolex. Would have cost a bomb in the day and the film not cheap either. If this was a private individual they were very keen and well off. Those children at the bonfire seem well heeled.

• Like 1

Fantastic film. As Beekay spotted it was Goose Fair 1965. The Lord Mayor was William Derbyshire with his distinctive handlebar moustache.

The Flying Horse, The Newton building, The Old Salutation, Burtons.So many memories of my teenage years in Nottingham. Just needed The Grosvenor to complete the list.

Checkout  https://www.macearchive.org/nottingham-film-1920-1980 
Christmas is coming and this would make a wonderful gift.

Great film . Seems a mixture of dates . The play advertised at the Theatre Royal , "Who Goes Bare" with Dave King and Valentine Dyall appears to have toured in 1974 , (unless it toured with the same cast many years earlier) but the scene in the large department store at Christmas seems to have pre-decimal pricing so before 1971 . Wondering what store that was ? About 15.50 in .   Big Woolies?  

2 hours ago, Beekay said:

Just had a look for you Loppy. The master was on 16mm. Does that help.

Thanks BK.  Yes it does help, but it seems super sharp even for 16 mm to my old eyes with a cataract.  Looking forward to watching it again when I've had that problem fixed. 

Edit.  David I'm thinking that Woolworths looked like what we used to call little Woolworths at the top of Hockley?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DAVIDW said:

Wondering what store that was ? About 15.50 in .   Big Woolies?  

Yes, Listergate. The left side between Sawyers and Stanford St.  

That side of the store, apart from the Food Hall, would normally be clothing, haberdashery, textiles etc and at Christmas they were replaced with all the seasonal stuff that can be seen. The camera first comes down from the back of the store towards the front and then returns, front to back, the record department being shown at the end and the rest of the store to the right.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

Lovely bit of film..........our fair City a much nicer place back then.......the 'Square' was beautiful...needs putting back the way it was.........

Loved seeing the contrasts between the 'Snobs' in red coats on horseback and the poor buggers coming home from the 'Bowels' of the earth.......

At least most of us on here have memories of those far off happy days...when to my mind going into town was an absolute pleasure....