Best of the seventies?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

#20   What a lovely post, Ian! Remember all those, especially Listen With Mother which I loved. Mum and Dad holding hands and listening to Sing Something Simple on a Sunday evening with The

I think it was Ken Dodd and the Diddymen.  

Can't look a stick of rhubarb in the face to this day. It was all that grew in great aunt Lily's garden. It meant rhubarb pie, crumble, turnovers...for days on end! Sis ate it raw, dipped in sugar. An

Posted Images

How about the memory of music you could understand. Being able to go shopping on Hyson Green and not having to spend a fortune to buy the makings of a Bacon sandwhich. Browns bread and bacon from a butcher with a handlebar moustache. The statue at the Old General being decked out in his red robes at Christmas. The copper topped tables in the Johnsons Arms.

God, I'm old...

A lips0

We moved into the Hyson Green Flats shortly after getting married in 1970. I remember that you could do all your shopping on the Green without having to go into town. The butcher used to have a Pork Farms pork pie cut into little slivers so you could taste one before buying -mmmmmm.

We had our first colour tv there as well, as the flats were all wired for Redifusion.

Remember me first houseshare at 26 Birrell Rd when I left home. The typical workday began by gauging the time by the position of the sun across the lino squares of the bathroom because a: I'd smashed the alarm clock up the wall before waking up properly(again) and b: because I thought I was Jimi Hendrix.

I would arrive breezy but not bright fifteen minutes late for work at Jessops, where I'd forged an agreement to take my morning break at 10am every day, so's I could nip into the Welbeck on Milton street for a couple of shakebusters. Ham and Dairylea roll in the canteen then back to work until one thirty - out to the White Hart Glasshouse Street for two or three more. Canteen lunch or Nan Kok special on Clumber St.

Finish at half five, bus home for triple 'S' - bus back to Kismet Keeebab shop then meet lads in the Bell at half six.

Now, there was always seven of us and we always bought twice - work it out. Weeknights on to Curry and Grill in Heathcote - weekends, club then C+G. Stagger home - sometimes via East Grove Chinese and next day it all began again.

I can tell you that we once stayed in for the night and vowed NEVER EVER EVER to do THAT again! I was earning 57 quid a week at the time and paying rent. I seriously doubt I could do that today on 570 quid - and not put an ounce on.

What-ho! Nice while it lasted

Shed

• 2 weeks later...

Tutanic - was the butchers name Raithby - me thinks

across the road from Lenos near the old General pub?

sold the best dripping on the green.

Arrrh Lenos on a saturday afternoon - Prending your batman

on the way home with your arms free fom your dufflecoat

tied around your neck....da da da da da da da da all the way home

down Berridge road West

anyone with memorries on Leno's especially the Typoo tea saturdays there with all the freebies?

• 4 months later...

I remeber seeing a weekly thing at Lenos on a Saturday, wher a man would say "Shazam!" and the next second you saw him flying! Was that Iron Man?

Actually, it was early60's.............although, as would have been reference to Batman too....................

I remeber seeing a weekly thing at Lenos on a Saturday, wher a man would say "Shazam!" and the next second you saw him flying! Was that Iron Man?

Actually, it was early60's.............although, as would have been reference to Batman too....................

You do of course mean ME old Boy.

And no one ever answered the question, who I was?

Billy

SHAZAM!...

And heres another from the same era?

rocket.jpg

kingfly.jpg

Now, i reckon hes the one im referring to!!! certainly looks like it!.

Does anyone remember the Brooke Bond PG Tips Chimps coming to one of the local cinemas? might have been Lenos.................poss Futurist........?

We were also mentioning the firm i did the "Get your jeans down at Machins" ads for, they also had a shop near to Lenos, remember it?

PS, im being Mr Pedantic again, but these were in the 60's, not 70's................. ;)

Many of these B&W serials were made in the 40's or 50's, but I saw them at the Saturday morning picture shows in the 60's

One I remember was a very early B&W of Batman

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Radio or 'The wireless' played a huge role in our 60's and 70's household.

The big brown contraption with a gold speaker occupying the entire front.

Listen With Mother. brings back memories of brushing my Mums hair whilst the rest were at school.

Alastair Cooke and that bronzed accent- glued me to his broadcast... even though i could not comprehend what A letter From America meant.

Top Of The Form ( Steve Race? )..Don Davis and his 3 In A Row.

Jimmy Young  and his "recipes today Jim". Where's Me Shirt..that Clitheroe kid...were they repeats from before my time?

Stewpot with songs by Dawn and Val Doonican hold cherished memories of Saturday morning with my alcoholic neighbour.

Sundays with Fluff or "Recognition Fire" with Tom Brown...a wash in the Belfast sink and supper with Sing Something Simple.

The Wednesday Play, Back ' a Yard, Dennis McCarthy giving shopping sprees on Arnold MKT all to The Typewriter Song!

It all changed of course when 301 hit me.

4 hours ago, iandawson said:

Top Of The Form ( Steve Race? ).

Where's Me Shirt..

In my day (mid-1960s) Top of the Form was Kenneth Horne and John Ellison. Maybe DJ360 remembers when High Pavement were on it?

'Where's me shirt?' was Ken Dodd

What a lovely post, Ian! Remember all those, especially Listen With Mother which I loved. Mum and Dad holding hands and listening to Sing Something Simple on a Sunday evening with The Cliff Adams Singers. Dad also loved The Navy Lark. There was Woman's Hour and Mrs Dale's Diary too!

We also had a Rediffusion radio exactly like the one you describe. Happy Days!  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1