Best of the seventies?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

#20   What a lovely post, Ian! Remember all those, especially Listen With Mother which I loved. Mum and Dad holding hands and listening to Sing Something Simple on a Sunday evening with The

I think it was Ken Dodd and the Diddymen.  

Can't look a stick of rhubarb in the face to this day. It was all that grew in great aunt Lily's garden. It meant rhubarb pie, crumble, turnovers...for days on end! Sis ate it raw, dipped in sugar. An

Posted Images

It would have been on a Sunday afternoon Jill,we had a roast..followed by huge wash-up and the wireless was on/ the station would be switched to Fluff Freeman around teatime..where a huge salad ( half the contents of BPS) would be eaten to songs like 3 Little Fishes by Frankie Howerd!

Clitheroe shows went on until 1972 I think?

Could be wrong Jill- i was allowed a sip of Hirondelle!

Sounds about right, Ian. Remember Two Way Family Favourites while mum was getting Sunday lunch ready or while my sister and I were at great aunt Lily's house on Reydon Drive being piled up with rhubarb...yet again!

Alan Freeman used to drive my father up the wall. He couldn't abide the sound of Freeman's voice. When he started advertising OMO on tv...and also Brentford Nylons, dad would get up and switch him off! :blink:

Can't look a stick of rhubarb in the face to this day. It was all that grew in great aunt Lily's garden. It meant rhubarb pie, crumble, turnovers...for days on end! Sis ate it raw, dipped in sugar. Another friend liked eating raw potatoes! Her mum gave one to me once as if it was a rare treat. I thought she was potty. Like mine mashed with butter and cheese or roasted...anything but raw!  :wacko:

• Upvote 1

Where's my shirt was definitely Freddie 'parrot face ' Davis, but never a mention of it being dirty as far as I can recall. 

1 hour ago, iandawson said:

It's the "Dirty bit" that is confusing me Cliff...seem to recall it was a catchphrase on the wireless.. not spoken in a song?

I remember hearing him use the phrase in the radio show in the early 60s; I think the song with the Diddymen came quite a bit later.

Ian, I recall that most groups in the 60's used the Commer van, as it was wider than the Bedford Dormabiles I believe. 

However, I used a Thames when I did a bit of driving / roadying for my mates in the late 60's. 

Anyway, where did you purchase your anoraks from ? Milletts or Wakefields ? Mine was Milletts. LOL

The following is a quote from this website: http://andywalmsley.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/lost-comedy-gems.html

'It’s Great to Be Young was Ken Dodd’s first starring programme and ran between October 1958 and January 1961. It’s the one that gave rise to Doddy’s catchphrase “Where’s me shirt?” and co-starred impressionist Peter Goodwright. '

This website : http://www.catchphrases.info/kendodd.php lists 'Where's me shirt? I'm a shirt short....' as by Ken Dodd.

As with Cliff Ton, I remember 'The Ken Dodd Show' on the Light Programme in the mid-1960s, and I would have said he used the catch phrase in that, with the song coming later.  Also appearing regularly in that show were John Laurie (pre-'Dad's Army') and Judith Chalmers.   

Oh, I'm wrong. My memory is on the decline. 

Freddie Davies, I thought, was better as a serious actor. I saw him in one or two tv appearances when he was older. I didn't find him funny as a comedian, nor Mike and Bernie Winters either. I have a strange sense of humour and the obvious doesn't appeal to me. I can roar with laughter at the likes of Mike Harding and Ronnie Barker but most so called comedians leave me cold. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

M & B Winters were an utter joke. The bleddy dog, Snorbitz was funniest...... Just. 

Most current 'comedians' leave me cold. They just aren't remotely clever. 

• Upvote 1

Too right, FLY. There has to be some intelligence behind the humour. A wordsmith like Barker, for instance, had more talent in his little finger than most so called comedians but it was never obvious. Also loved Dave Allen who could make me laugh before he even spoke.

Loved Barker, but not Allen, his whole persona grated on me . I thought he was creepy. Each to their own though.