I've always loved Coca Cola ever since I first tasted it in 1963 as 13 year old on holiday.

I've come across lots of people who are very anti Coke either because it contains loads of sugar or caffeine or phosphoric acid all of which contribute to it's unique and IMHO delicious taste.Then there are those who dislike it because it's manufactured by an American based multinational company (these people usually hate McDonalds too which I by the way think is also delicious).

I expect lots of foodies to come on here and tell us how awful it tastes and how bad it is for you but again IMHO I think Coca Cola ( and McDonalds) have got it right.

There will be those who think I'm an obese uneducated slob. Well to put 

the record straight I am a slightly overweight retired professional chemist who has also studied nutrition and my scientific training has taught me to be objective which is why I can put all the other objections to one side and report that to me at least Coca Cola is very palatable indeed.

To close I should say I've recently rediscovered Coke in a glass bottle and I thoroughly recommend it to aficionados of this lovely beverage. Again IMHO it tastes superior to the same drink in cans or plastic PET bottles although the Coke marketeers have got it on shelf at a higher price point.

Let the great debate commence. I've got my tin hat at the ready.

• Like 2

I'm not too fond of Coca Cola but I do drink it very occasionally but it always reminds me when I went to US to meet my penfriend for the first time. All sorts of weird things were being discovered, motor oil instead of sun tan oil, cold tea with ice in it and the one that stuck in my mind was the fact that  bronze coins were put into a glass of coke to polish them. I was horrified but never tried it with other sparkling drinks. I don't drink really icy cold drinks anyway so coke gets a cold shoulder with me. My husband shouldn't drink anything fizzy but he does. If it was so bad I would think it would have been taken off the market years ago.

43 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

I'm not too fond of Coca Cola but I do drink it very occasionally but it always reminds me when I went to US to meet my penfriend for the first time. All sorts of weird things were being discovered, motor oil instead of sun tan oil, cold tea with ice in it and the one that stuck in my mind was the fact that  bronze coins were put into a glass of coke to polish them. I was horrified but never tried it with other sparkling drinks. I don't drink really icy cold drinks anyway so coke gets a cold shoulder with me. My husband shouldn't drink anything fizzy but he does. If it was so bad I would think it would have been taken off the market years ago.

Nonna, cleaning bronze coins in Coca Cola is usually accompanied by the phrase “ just imagine what it does to your stomach”. The cleaning properties of Coke are down to the inclusion of phosphoric acid in the drink. However the acidity in the stomach is much higher due to the presence of hydrochloric acid. Incidentally phosphoric acid is also used as a palatant in the coating of dry cat food.

• Like 1

I too discovered Coca Cola in 1963 when I was on a school holiday in Germany .

The original is the best, but I'll drink any version.

Pepsi is also fine but only if Coke isn't available.

I've been in Mcdonalds twice in my lifetime, Clumber St when they first opened, in the 80's ? and New Zealand last year with Son and family.

I've been in Pizza Hut once in the U.S.A, never again appauling service.

Not been in any other U.S fast food places.

Coke and Pepsi... delicious. Macdonalds, take away the 'grot' leaving just a plain burger and bun is virtually tasteless.

I don't do Macdonalds very often but if I'm on a long drive, a stop for a Big Mac and fries with a coffee just hits the spot! An old friend of mine. who was a successful businessman, always had beans on toast for dinner every week night. It drove his missis spare. Every weekend, for a special treat, he would take her out to a Little Chef!

We usually buy Diet Coke, but sometimes we get the Zero one with no sugar and no caffeine!  Basically, I suppose it's just a flavoured fizzy water but I like it as a refreshing drink when it's a hot day.

2 hours ago, katyjay said:

Like Root Beer, tastes like Germolene smells, if you get my drift. 

Katyjay, Strange drink. They used to sell it in McDonalds in the UK but it never caught on so they dropped it.

I know exactly what you mean about Germoline. It never appealed to me I have to say.

Don't like Coke or Pepsi very much. The only fizzy pop I drink is Vimto.

Takes me back to sitting outside a pub as a kid while my parents had a couple inside.

(Usually The Wolds or Test Match in Bridgford).

Have had a few Macdonalds but wouldn't go out of my way to get one.

As I sit here swiggin’ a large Bacardi and Coke I’ve been trying to remember when I first drank Coke.  I think it was at the Bowling Alley in about 1964.  Soon after that I started going down the Dungeon Club where a bottle of Coke was about the only drink we could buy, certainly no alcohol as we were too young and then when I got off the bus at 11pm back in Arnold I’d buy a bag of chips and another bottle of Coke.  Bacardi and Coke still reminds me of my first Spanish holiday every time I drink it but I certainly wouldn’t drink it in an English pub, the spirit measures are too mean!  

Unless one particularly asks for bottled coke they usually serve it from a syphon, a bit like soda stream. The cola comes in syrup form.

Exactly BK, a  small measure of spirit and a squirt of faux Coke.  I save my B and C drinking to home (or Spain ........ goodness knows when that will be again)  

My history of "Coke Cola"

Saturday afternoons  Skating at ice stadium   break time bottle of ice cold coke 6d loved it.

1970s while living in South Africa a advert/ song about coke  went like this

I'd like to buy the world a Coke, and keep it company,

I'd like to buy the world a coke, and live in harmony 

Can't remember any more, but it would be nice if all the world could live in harmony.

At the time in SA we only had radio no such thing as a TV, 

not sure if this add for Coke Cola was every advitised in the UK. It would be interesting to hear the rest of the add.

• Like 1