Boat repairer Radford Mill, Garden Street

Help please! I hope I am not imagining this. I was born in 1951, I lived on Independent Street and went to Douglas Road school. I remember walking home and cutting through what must have been Radford mill. I walked up Garden Street then went left into a factory area. I walked through and came out on Norton Street. Now here’s where I am struggling, I vividly remember seeing small boats floating in a small pool on the right hand side as I walked through. Was there some sort of boat repairer there? My brother who is 3 years older than me thinks I am making it up, I can’t find anything about it so I guess he could be right.

I have read a really good thread about Garden street but no mention of the ‘boat repairer’.this is my first post on the forum, if you can help I would be grateful

As a former dinghy sailor I should know the name of this company but can’t bring it to mind! Yes, there was a constructor of wooden sailing dinghies in the area you state. I’ve walked past the factory. I’ve Googled it but can’t find anything. I’ll report back if the name comes to me. 

Hi, Cfarnswo, and welcome to the pleasure dome :rolleyes: I'm a little bit older than you, but you must remember when coming out of school,passing the rest garden opposite. I remember when it was still a  church. I also remember Independent street, as I used to go to what was known as 'Tanner barbers' for a haircut. Do you remember Brassey Street recreation ground. It had a brilliant monkey climber frame and a fancy rocking horse. Ahh, happy days eh? Look forward to some more memories. Take care.

Welcome to the site, cfarnswo. You're not imagining things. There was a boat repairer in that area and I think it's been mentioned previously.

You're 6 years older than I but, as you will be aware if you've read the main Garden Street thread, I knew the area well until 1965 when the wreckers moved in.

Always interested to read memories of this area.

• Upvote 1

Yes, I remember Brassey Street rec. I thought it was a good idea to bury my silver charm bracelet given to me as a bridesmaid gift on Brassey Rec. Of course the next day when I went to dig it up I couldn’t find it. We lived in three different houses on Independent street, number 69 from 1956 to 1962 then we rented the shop on the corner of Independent Terrace, 70a, and lived there for a few years until we moved into number 69 over the road. My Dad had a haulage business which he ran from a warehouse on Independent Terrace. He supplied peeled potatoes and chips to chip shops. We lived next door to the Hunt family, David and Freddy were the children and I think their Mums name was Hilda.

My best friend was Angela Finch, she lived at 71 Independent Street her brother was Malcolm. I used to play a lot on Ilkeston Road rec because my friends Dad was the park keeper, she lived in the house that’s actually within the park on Ilkeston Road.

I don’t Remember the barbers but I remember Thompson’s sweet shop at the top of Edinburgh street. Mrs Thompson made her own ice lollies, when she took the out of the freezer she used to roll them in her hands, I remember the noise it made against her rings on her fingers. There was also a chip shop and a ‘maroon’ coloured shop that used to sell amazing home made toffee apples, it may even be the same shop.

thank you for your comment

• Like 2

I'm just over the moon to have found someone who went to the same school as me ! Begining to think I was Billy No Mates. Just got to find anybody who went to Radford boulevard.