Carlton Hill Steps (Near Tescos)

A bit of a strange one but does anyone have any information regarding the steps that leads from Carlton Hill (Over the road from TESCO and the site of The Windsor Castle) up through to Church Street via Nairn Mews?

Has this always been a public pathway or was it part of the property that stands there?

Havent been here since 1995, Property, singular? In the eighties it was a row of houses on the right, another right down the steps to Carlton Road. Wasn't there a seating bench at the bottom?

Think the steps purpose was maybe to provide access to the graveyard, when St Paul's was built, it extended to what became the bottom end of Foxhill Rd. Couple of my relatives buried there in the 1850's.

I remember a similar set of steps, top of Phoenix Ave, took you down to Arnold Lane in Gedling roughly facing the church, was this the one with the bench...

I know the steps as I know someone who lives on Orchard Avenue , at the back of the Church.

Down the middle of this map view, https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9655783,-1.0892621,82a,35y,39.56t/data=!3m1!1e3

It was there on the 1899 map, even shows the steps,  https://maps.nls.uk/view/115392023

Looks like the line was adjusted slightly at Newgate St, later Church St end

And on the second map in 1882, it's possibly there before the Church, the steps are shown but not identified as a footpath but neither are any of the other local footpaths.

Od8xMTd.png

ZQndlXn.png

• Like 1

St Paul's was there in the 1850's,, I would possibly draw into question some of the architecture but happy to stand my ground. it's correct.

Why would a church exist in 1850 and today,

but disappear in 1892?

Don't know what HSR means Stuart,,but I think its a great post...…..was engaged to Katrina in 1965 and her house is on there,,Southdale drive....sometimes caught the bus on Carlton road number 39 to go home...walked from Southdale down footpath thru some allotments crossed over another Southdale and onto Carlton road near a pub called the Chesterfield opposite a chip shop where the Bus stop was....happy days,,,not seen Katrina for a few years now was living in Awsworth when I last saw her,,,

Thought you all needed to know all that,,,great post Stuart,keep it up mate....

First map revised in 1899, based on an original survey of 1882, ( if the map and it's contents are to be believed.)

Second map Reprinted in 1891 of a map surveyed in 1882, presumably no revisions, as none state and possibly the same survey,  ( if the map and it's contents are to be believed.)

From only information on the maps it would appear that the Church was completed sometime after the original survey 1882 but before the revision of 1899, hence why I put the footpath may have been there before the Church.

If the Church was there in 1850's, take that up with the surveyors of 1882, I wasn't present, I can't explain why.

I've got no idea what the reference  but disappear in 1892? is about.

In future I'll make sure I don't include any information that could be incorrect that is not actually relevant to the O.P., which was about the footpath.

The link didn't show the chap standing in the archway about 30 feet up! He was creepy.

This is not an uncommon design between about 1860 - 1890.

Time for a total rethink on this setup..regarding St Paul"s...

No need to get all red lettered Stuart, I am telling you, that St Paul"s existed In the 1850's, so time for a rethink my end, graveyard was Foxhill however...

Why does a church post a link with very little info & history?

Regarding the pathway..the original question.was the steps...

Great info Stuart, I have limited resources, no internet, if I find the answer I will.post.

katrina was my Fiance,,,for long time,,met in bodega.....but I was naughty Boy,,and lost her...…..:sorry:

• Like 1

In the link I posted earlier today (which is the church's own website) it states that the current building was constructed between 1885-91, and before the construction there was an 'iron church' (whatever that was) on what is now the site of Tesco.

I think the footpath in question was just a short cut between Main Street (as Carlton Hill was then known) and Newgate Street (which later became Church Street). Back then, that part of Carlton was full of alleys and cut-throughs.

• Upvote 1