Hempshill Lane Bulwell, 'Sankey's Tip' and Fun in the 1960s

I think it was posted on FB by "Nottingham from the Past" but it said it was Hempshill Lane, a comment asked ''was it the darts Team outing? Typically FB took it down next day but I thought DJ360 might have recognised it!

• Like 1

Thanks CT, gotta admit, it's difficult to visualise images that were, when one looks at the area present day. Another pub that come to mind is the "Cross Keys" that was up Commercial road. At one time my Aunt and Uncle had the place, so I was informed by my Gran, who lived on that road.

On 1/18/2021 at 1:59 PM, albert smith said:

I think it was posted on FB by "Nottingham from the Past" but it said it was Hempshill Lane, a comment asked ''was it the darts Team outing? Typically FB took it down next day but I thought DJ360 might have recognised it!

Albert.. I definitely recognise the building. Also this posted by Cliff Ton

nottingham_ng6_blackhorse.jpg

My great uncle Cecil had the Grocer's shop which is just a window with blinds on the left. Left from there would bring you down to the Star Inn, now the 'Moon and Stars'. I think  The Black Horse is already closed... on the right.  Hempshill Lane runs up to the right of the Black Horse.. The small premises front and centre was apparently a shoe repair shop, where my mate Picko worked as a delivery boy way back.  On down Coventry Rd (Straight ahead) would bring you back onto Main Street/Cinderhill Rd opposite Boowul Youth Club... pretty much where Bowul Bus Station is now.  My other mate Dave Cartwright's Dad had a shop down there...

A long lost world..

• Like 1

Hempshill Lane.

Adventure No. 3.  'There's No Fire Without Smoke'

(No motocycles, cousins or wellies were harmed in the making of this adventure.)

As I've previously described.. There was the old railway bank..and then 'Sankey's Pad' running pretty much alongside it.  Between the Pad and the Cemetary on the ridge, was 'Sankey's Tip'.  As I recall it was just a lot of piles of sand/clay or whatever.  However lying about, were lumps of solid, clay coloured plastic. Typically these were about a foot across and looked exactly like what they were.. plastic which had dripped out in a molten state from somewhere... and solidified.  They seemingly came from the machinery which Sankey's were then using to make injection moulded plastic plant pots.  We gave them the somewhat unattractive name of 'Clagg Lumps'.

So.. one evening as it was beginning to get dark.. we dug a hole into one of the piles of sand...horizontally, and then vertically.. to make a sort of 'fireplace with a chimney'.  We then started a fire which we soon stoked up with 'clagg lumps'.

It wasn't long before we had a fierce fire going.. with flames feet high. We had to back off from the heat.. and from the choking smoke.  But, being adolescents/young teens.... and therefore inherently stupid.. we saw no harm in what we did.

It was only in the light of the following day that we noted the yards wide black stripe across the full width of the football field which lay between Sankey's Tip and Hempshill Lane.  Our fire had clearly deposited a smoky, sooty residue...

Ooops..:wacko:

Ooohh   wicked  ...  :laugh:

Still not sorted this photoimage, i tried to put these two together for comparison but got it wrong. This one is from a OS1940 edition map, the previous is I think more 1970s. so shows quite a bit of the building that taken  place, including the completion of Aspley & Broxtowe estates also the Apollo & Snapewood estates The mini estate I'm on, Meadow Rise, is fitted in between Hemp. Lane, Low wood Rd. & the cemetery.

img20210125-19382611.jpg

This is probably a bit off kilter but did Bulwell ever have a "Wakes"? I can remember Basford wakes on the field near Basford crossing, with entry on Lincoln Street I think. It also spilt over to the Shoulder of Mutton, Radford rd/Western blvd. (Not sure if they were at the same time).

I just wondered if Bulwell had a fair at sometimes.

• Like 1
On 1/26/2021 at 9:47 PM, Beekay said:

This is probably a bit off kilter but did Bulwell ever have a "Wakes"? I can remember Basford wakes on the field near Basford crossing, with entry on Lincoln Street I think. It also spilt over to the Shoulder of Mutton, Radford rd/Western blvd. (Not sure if they were at the same time).

I just wondered if Bulwell had a fair at sometimes.

Beekay  There was definitely a fair held around the market/Bulwell bogs area, I'm not absolutely clear but I would think 1958/59 ish. Walking back to Broxtowe, just beyond the bogs I seem to remember an air raid shelter which was well used when the fair was around.