Yes. That's Pipewood camp alright. I was there in July the same year that the photo was taken. I am intrigued by the shield at the front and that many of the boys are wearing a shield like badge on their left lapels. Maybe the 'House' trophy but I don't remember House contests. Nor do I recognise the two masters.

Each House/dorm had 24 double bunk beds therefore 48 lads in each, however there are 50 lads in the photo? Maybe there was 25 bunks though? There was a masters bedroom at one end of the dorm and a smaller toilet room at the opposite end so may have been room for the extra bunk.

The photo was dated May/June, so during normal school term. I was there in July/Aug, 3 weeks of which were during school holidays. Maybe the curriculum was more classroom orientated during school term? We had a lot of sport and free time. The science lab pictured also had cookery lesson equipment. I 'leant' how to make jam tarts there. Rolled the pastry too thin and ended up with burnt jam on black cinder!

• Like 1

Hiya  PP., tried to zoom in on the picture and the shield looks like some sort of dormitory award, only can't make out the middle bit. Not much help I  know. Take care. How's the chickens?

• Like 1

It is still there Jill - well the ruins anyway. Google up Rugeley School, Staffordshire. On GE map look at the area north of the school and you will see the two squares that were  lawns, surrounded by the dorms (barrack like buildings). The masters used to frequent The Bull and Spectacles just up the road.

I visited the site about 4 years ago. Surprised that it has not been developed. 

• Like 1

I’ve just looked on the original download In case it was any clearer. It’s not but as Beekay states it appears to say dormitory award. The raised block in the middle looks like it’s a separate piece and removable so I assume that the name can be changed. This one looks like Chilwyn or similar. Did the various dormitories have names?

• Like 2