Computers in general

Y'all should be at the door with bated breath waiting for your new Sinclair spectrum/Commodore Ben. Then we can find all the missing A and O. That is unless you get involved in Space Invaders. Good luck with your new PC Ben.

• Like 1
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Strange. This thread doesn't seem to have incurred the wrath of RR (so far).

I still have my Sinclair but no cassette recorder to it's really only a piece of junk in the cupboard.     BK if you need a MS (powerpoint, Excel) program look for Libreoffice or Freeof

All systems go.....got me Capitals   and me A's.....plus me Credentials all in tact......thanks y'all

Once described as having keys like dead flesh HSR. Can you remember having to load programs via a cassette recorder. Start it up and go and put the kettle on.

I never saw my first computer (early 1970s).  For each program I created a bundle of punch cards (one line/80 characters per card).  Left the bundle for computer techs at the Poly (the computer was in the basement).  Returned a week later to see whether the program had run or failed and collected a printout (the old green and white stripey paper).  Usually it had failed, I re-did a few cards and left it for another week.  After a month or two I might get a result.

A few minutes waiting for a cassette to load on a 16k Speccy was rapid by comparison, even if it fell over once or twice.

In my accountancy days, starting around '62, I saw many mainframe computers, which were huge reel to reel machines housed in air conditioned rooms. My first personal computer in industry was an Apple 2, in the early 80's, which I bought because it ran the very first spreadsheet program 'Visicalc'. It was limited in size and function compared to present day PC's but it was revolutionary at the time and reduced my workload tremendously. Although I've got a couple of Macs on my desk, an iMac and a Mac Mini, I tend mainly to use my ipad these days and I haven't had the need to run a complex spreadsheet for many years. I did have a Windows PC when the children were at university, primarily for their use during holidays and as a flight simulator, but I much prefer the ease of use of the Mac. 

Bit off course but, my first introduction to computers was when I had one given to me about 15 years ago. I think it only had a memory of

64mb. The PC I have now is one terabyte. If I lived another 100 years, I'll never be able to use all that it is capable of. Still don't know what a spreadsheet is. 

A spreadsheet is a document arranged in rows and columns of a grid which can be manipulated and used in calculations. You will probably have Microsoft Excel. It can be as simple as a laundry list or as a complex budget. Maybe something to wile away your time during the present lockdown - perhaps your Christmas card list for a starter.

I do print me own Christmas cards Phil. I've just printed off some algebra maths sheets from open university, for my neighbour, who couldn't print them. They were sent to him via PowerPoint. Because I don't have "Word or Office", I had to find a prog.to enable me to print them for him.

Must say I do enjoy working out how to do something. Trouble is, I can never remember what I did. (My tablet was just saying, " you don't have an app for this".

I still have my Sinclair but no cassette recorder to it's really only a piece of junk in the cupboard.

BK if you need a MS (powerpoint, Excel) program look for Libreoffice or Freeoffice. They are MS Office compatible and free..

• Like 2

Phil, I would be more than happy to send a copy of the program I use for card making. You can make cards for all events and personalise with your own message/names etc. The prog.is on two CDs.

@Brew  I have have used Libre Office  for several years now and love it.  It’s a bit more more basic than Microsoft Office but has everything that I need to compose documents. I can save documents in 2007 - 365 so it’s certainly compatible with Microsoft.

I rarely use ‘Excel’ as I prefer using tables instead for lists etc

I reckon it would be in great taste. It depends on who you dislike most. :rolleyes:

Maybe we should invite festive photos  of NS members and the do a compilation group festive card. I've got a Christmas jumper somewhere.

Which one Margie? When I checked on my pc it came up with 5 or 6. The first one I clicked on, you had to buy.

Libre Office was free when I first got it - I presume it still is.  ( I did donate £10 to their foundation because it is so good but that is obviously not compulsory) My version has been updated from 5 to 6.4 if that helps.  

I hate Linux with a passion! I have a server in Strasbourg running on Centos and when it decides to throw its toys out the pram it's a nightmare to fix, Linux more secure? tell that to the four Russians that manaaged to hijack it a couple of years ago.. Took four days to regain control. At least with Mr Gates beta program it's point and click and when it goes wrong most of the file names make sense. There is masses ofsupport for Windows too.