Computers in general

My involvement with Linux started when I acquired an old military spec Panasonic laptop years ago. It had originally been supplied with Windows 95 and didn’t have the legs to run anything much newer so was very out of date so I discovered lightweight versions of Linux really out of necessity. I still have it and it still works and can fetch email and browse simple websites. It is a very capable word processor and I have used it a lot for this purpose as it is passively cooled so silent with a nice clunky keyboard with a decent feel.  I now run all my computers on Linux I have about 8 of various vintage including a couple of high spec newer machines too but I only keep one of them on windows 10. When I do turn it on it is unusable for ages as it installs endless updates which sometimes change settings that I don’t want changing. Last windows update the sound and WiFi stopped working which took a while to sort out. I find Linux extremely reliable and I’ve hardly ever had an issue.  Linux or a Mac for me. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Strange. This thread doesn't seem to have incurred the wrath of RR (so far).

I still have my Sinclair but no cassette recorder to it's really only a piece of junk in the cupboard.     BK if you need a MS (powerpoint, Excel) program look for Libreoffice or Freeof

All systems go.....got me Capitals   and me A's.....plus me Credentials all in tact......thanks y'all

Fair enough I suppose if you can be 'hands on' but access to the Strasbourg server is via SSH and a command line interface. Windows 10 can be irritating and annoying I grant but it's still way easier.

True enough LL but with a command line interface and my crap typing it makes things really frustrating for a not very patient man. Having spoken about it I've been playing with some old parts and I've built steampunk PC, basically a PC without a case. Using an old 500Gb drive I've installed Linux. I've not seen a Linux GUI so assuming you guys had one a bit of research and I found GNOME. Although it  took three goes to install it's working now. I shall have a play and see how what happens, so far the desktop look a bit like a Mac...

Check out Linux Mint, Brew.  I've used it for several years now.  GUI interface very windows like.  You can pull up a command line interface window.  I've only ever used it once or twice.  No real need.

They're only partially compatible so there's not really much point LL. I use my machines for all sorts of things from streaming to spreadsheets. to high end gaming and server management. I'd have to learn how to do all that again. One thing has surprised me, Linux(Centos) on an Intel i7 with 8Gb ram is quite a bit slower than I expected, then again that may be entriely down to me getting it wrong.

Much of my older software didn't function in windows 10, hence, I gave the laptop to my daughter after 2 days..

should have persisted further maybe..

Tried a dual boot with windows 7 again failure, never had issues previously, Photoshop was unreadable, found a workaround but resolution was poor, tried external monitor dropped to 768 again useless.

I came to the conclusion that it's not only the HD screen, but also the graphics cards inflexibility..

One program I did get to work was Cool Edit Pro! 2003, this didn't work in windows 7, it later became Adobe Audition at the time of windows 7.

Has anybody else had backwards compatibility issues with windows 10?

and HD screens?

new one come this morning............set up impossible.......complete gobbledegook to me......it will shortly be flying thru the window....

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

new one come this morning............set up impossible.......complete gobbledegook to me......it will shortly be flying thru the window....

Laptop or desktop Ben? and what are you trying to setup?

3 hours ago, HSR said:

Much of my older software didn't function in windows 10, hence, I gave the laptop to my daughter after 2 days..

should have persisted further maybe..

Tried a dual boot with windows 7 again failure, never had issues previously, Photoshop was unreadable, found a workaround but resolution was poor, tried external monitor dropped to 768 again useless.

I came to the conclusion that it's not only the HD screen, but also the graphics cards inflexibility..

One program I did get to work was Cool Edit Pro! 2003, this didn't work in windows 7, it later became Adobe Audition at the time of windows 7.

Has anybody else had backwards compatibility issues with windows 10?

and HD screens?

We've had lots of issues from XP onwards.  Each new OS will not cooperate with previous software versions.  Mrs. L has had a lot of issues with her genealogy software which worked fine with the previous OS.  We were quite happy with Win 7.  Now that is no longer supported.  I'm sick of putting money in Gate's pocket.  Heaven help us now he's pushing vaccines.  He finally drove me to Linux and I've never regretted it.

bone n roll some sides of bcon,,,weigh hundredweight of butter then deliver mrs pettegrew her posh toilet rolls,not problem,,but secure my credentils no wy....

It's only asking you for a password, I mean you don't want your credentials being interferred with  now do you.       thumbsdown....   or maybe you do.........   thumbsup

1 minute ago, philmayfield said:

Apple doesn’t give these problems - except it’s more expensive. Such a pleasure to use though!

You still have to secure your credentials even on posh PC's

• Like 1