• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shocking that Mansfield bought more to Notts yesterday than they get at their home games 4300 plus, filled the Jimmy Sirrel.    Later town was solid everyone was from Mansfield, first time s

Always liked Mansfield............ 1/ Was a Paige boy there about 1950... 2/ Worked on Church street Marsdens and Queen street Vernons  early 60s 3/ Courted Christine from Hibbert road.

crazy, I created this thread 15 years ago and can see comments have been made on it up until this year. I’m long past my modelling days that were being referred to in the earlier posts on here. Feelin

she might just be they like that in mansfield . piggy and i used to spend quite a bit of time in and around mansfield with mansfield white cross motorcycle club around pubs clubs and whitepost cafe after hours in them days a 24 hour transport cafe lots of the guys came from in and around mansfield and the local villages alwyn kettle lived forest town rickerby rainworth saw alvin stardust quite a few times when he was just starting out

Mansfield is about to get better!

It's worst feature in recent years has been the horrible bus station, a very unwelcoming, cold, dirty, unsafe feeling place, accessed at one end by a subway and at the other end by some very narrow steps with damaged treads.

Well, a brand new bus station opens in a few weeks, actually more convenient in it's location, just a short walk up Queen Street, up the side of Beales Store (used to be the Co-Op) It will be a fully enclosed structure with a covered walkway to the railway station as well.

I'm usually sad to see old features of a town swept away but I don't think anyone will be sorry to see the end of the old bus station.

I think the new place will do Mansfield a lot of good!

Really glad to hear of a few improvements going on in Mansfield town centre. that bus station was pretty horrible - even as far as bus stations go. then again, Nottingham can't really brag too much with Victoria and Broadmarsh which are both dire.

• 6 months later...

Mansfield is only small but is not a bad place to live. You don't have to walk a marathon to get round the shops. There are plenty of clothes shops in the four seasons and a market (not too brilliant) where it should be IN THE MARKET PLACE!!! It is not too far from the car parks into town and there are quite a few free spaces (1, 2 0r even 3 hours) nearby. Also, although parking wardens patrol regularly, motorists are not made to feel as if they are the lowest life forms in the universe. There are a lot of open spaces nearby and the old pit railways have been converted into places to walk, horseride or cycle. It is not everyone's cup of tea but we love it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

#20 RGR.............Reckon your photo is Queen st and that Off-Licence was Vernons............worked there circa 63,

Benjamin1945 #41 The photo at #20 is taken from the Swan Hotel looking down Bridge Street towards St Peters church. The 8 Bells used to be on the right, the next pub down, at the bottom was the Ramme Inn and round the corner on the left was the Bridge Tavern that used to get regularly flooded.

The off licence is still there as shown on Google street view in June this year.

• 2 years later...

Shocking that Mansfield bought more to Notts yesterday than they get at their home games 4300 plus, filled the Jimmy Sirrel. 

Later town was solid everyone was from Mansfield, first time some had ever seen electric lighting & flushing toilets. 

Well done Notts fingers crossed they will stay up? 

DzjXAbKWwAEaxgS.jpg

• Like 6
13 hours ago, radfordred said:

Later town was solid everyone was from Mansfield, first time some had ever seen electric lighting & flushing toilets. 

7 hours ago, catfan said:

N'mind running tap water too.

Gerroffonit you two there's nowt wrong wi Mansfield

Had the best beer in the UK until the brewery was sold, and at the end of the season will have a team in League 1 (sounds much better than the Third Divison North). I hope not but sadly it looks like Notts will have to get the sign on the stand repainted after this season

Newport County - Manchester City one day Notts County the next, and I reckon the Stags felt sorry for them and didn't try too hard.

I wonder if that has ever happened before, playing the side at the top of the league one day and the very next game the side at the bottom of the league.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Always liked Mansfield............

1/ Was a Paige boy there about 1950...

2/ Worked on Church street Marsdens and Queen street Vernons  early 60s

3/ Courted Christine from Hibbert road...early 60s

4/ Missed last Bus once,,and walked back home to Bestwood,,,15 miles ish

5/ Did Security work in the COOPS all over the Mansfield area...90s

6/ got beat up one night by two brothers,,,behind the Picture house,,,ruined me Whistle.....

7/ Son owned a Boxing Gymn in Mansfield..

8/ Always loved Blidworth Bottoms...

9/Did much Security at Civic Centre for sons Boxing shows...

10/ Crashed me Ford Thames Van...after watching a group in Woodhouse...1964

Could go on...Mansfield for all its bad press i really enjoyed........

• Like 3