Does anybody know if the inmates had to wear masks,? no talking, treadmills regime? My GGGF was in here in the 1850's.

Found a brilliant link but was a direct PDF...no mention of mask's.

Watched Paul Merton Who do you think you are, same set up but hoods/masks, strange question I know, but children like the ghoulish details..!

My GGGF was in the Southwell Union Workhouse in 1878 .

This report in the Nottinghamshire Guardian when he was charged with gross insubordination .

SOUTHWELL PETTY SESSIONS.
FRIDAY.-(Before Major Becher)
INSUBORDINATE PAUPERS. - Joseph Thraves, 41. William Bucklow. 70, and John Wilson, 69, three inmates of the Southwell Union Workhouse, were brought up charged with insubordination.

William Shacklock, Master of the Workhouse said the defendants, who were inmates, were set to work in the garden, but on the previous day they refused to work until half past five o'clock in the evening.

ln cross examination, witness said he did not recollect Bucklow telling hm that he was unable to work in consequence of his bad feet.

Thraves alleged that he went away because Bucklow left off work, as he thought that if he remained Bucklow would be more severely dealt with .    Wilson denied objecting to work.

Bucklow and Thraves were sent to Southwell gaol for seven days each with hard labour, but Wilson was discharged.

• Like 2

Thanks DavidW, I read that the treadmill had a wallchart  so the 'honest" citizens outside could monitor the progress.

My ancestor served six months and a whipping which is  normally reserved for repeat offenders. His co accused had previous so guess he was tarred with the same brush, one 16, the other 15. 

Sounds like a cliche, but true, they stole a loaf of bread...

In the 1850's the capacity was 80 men 10 women.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I’ve downloaded it and read it today. There’s a lot to get through! Having lived in the area for nearly 60 years I’ve been past and on the Burgage green many times. My old company, before my time, did consider buying and moving to the old lace factory back in the 60’s. It wasn’t viable and the factory was taken on by Rainbows, the transport firm. They now operate from Newark and there is a substantial new housing development on the site but fortunately it’s not wholly visible from the Burgage and much of the original buildings remain. Southwell police station used to be in the old buildings but that was closed some years ago.

On 12/7/2020 at 3:02 PM, HSR said:

Hope this link works and my recollections are correct.

HSR What a fascinating document and you can't help but feel sorry for the Handford family who lost both their sons on the same day in the same battle. It appears that they have no known graves.

I think this description of houses of correction should be brought back into use to house some of the idiots at large today "one or more fit and convenient house of correction for suppressing and punishing rogues, vagabonds and other idle vagrant and disorderly persons”.

Received the link from a friend, worked on the site on a voluntary basis.

Same thought passed through my mind Oz, only..

regarding the treadmill.. a whipping and 6 month's seems extreme.

I'm sure I have the listing for the days prosecutions, on high pavement, I'll dig it out..

20 minutes ago, HSR said:

Same thought passed through my mind Oz, only..

regarding the treadmill.. a whipping and 6 month's seems extreme.

I'm sure I have the listing for the days prosecutions, on high pavement, I'll dig it out..

I am sure you would only have to hand out that sentence to a few and the message would soon get around and modify certain behaviours.

It would be interesting if you could find more information.

Used to regularly go to the swimming baths at a school? in Southwell off Nottingham Rd, the name escapes me at the moment, and afterwards a beer or two at the Reindeer or the Grapes.

Hi OZ  Not sure if you are takling about the Workhouse  in Southall or the House of Correction. The House of Correction was if you can remember where the Cental Market was, this was a Prison The Workhouse's were for people who where down and out. Went on a visit the other year to Southall Work House it was very interesting, brought a book while there which might be of interest to you.  WORK HOUSE Encyclopedia  by ( belive it or not ) wrote by Peter Higginbotham  well worth a read. The swimming baths you mention was it Bath St baths, which had a small swimming pool (which for some reason was called Ladies pool) then it had an Oval swimming pool then they had a very large pool called Exhibition pool. Also they had baths for the use of, as most of the houses in that area did not have bath rooms.   Doing our family tree one of my other halfs relative was in the house of correction for taking some floor and my other half great gran died in the workhouse. Hope this helps.

Old mind just started working The swimming baths were called The Victoria Baths can you remember Oz the Wash house this was just around the corner.   My dad volunteerd me to take his friends washing down to the washouse each week for 6d thats ok but i was only 11/12 and boy its not a thing that youngest did, must admit felt a right !!!!!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

If we're talking of Southwell, the House of Correction was on Burgage Green, on the outside the town and the facade of this is still standing.

not sure if the topic is about Southwell or Nottm thread seemed to get very confusing 

Mary, in addition to your information, the exhibition pool was also covered over and used for wrestling matches.

I loved swimming in the oval pool.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Not sure if you are talking about the Workhouse  in Southwell or the House of Correction.

Hi Mary, I was talking about the house of correction in Southwell, especially the link provided by HSR which includes archaeological information about test digs in the area

14 hours ago, philmayfield said:

The school was formerly the Edward Cludd which became the Minster School.

Thanks Phil, Edward Cludd, that's the name i was trying to think of.

Thanks boys for putting me straight.