Walter Knight (1881-1961)

I wonder if anyone can help me. I am looking for some detail regarding my 2x great uncle, Walter Knight. His brother, John, was my grandmother's father. From what I have discovered to date, he was a hairdresser living in Forest Fields when he died in 1961. His address given on the cremation register was 189 Berridge Road in Forest Fields. Googling I can see that this is still a hairdressers today, and from the photos online it looks to be a converted corner terraced house. He was 80 when he died so I'm assuming that he was no longer cutting hair, but the 1939 register shows this as his address (his employment is listed as gents hairdresser) so I think it's a fair guess that he was a hairdresser at that address too.

The 1939 register shows him as married to Edith with a 20 year old daughter, Audrey. 

If anyone remembers Walter (I remember my father referring to Uncle Wal or Uncle Lol) or has any details of his hairdressing business (if you have any photos, that would be amazing), I'd really appreciate finding out more

5 hours ago, timfoster said:

but the 1939 register shows this as his address (his employment is listed as gents hairdresser) so I think it's a fair guess that he was a hairdresser at that address too.

Trade Directories for 1925 and 1941 list him as Hair Dresser at 189 Berridge Road. It's not clear whether he's carrying out his business there, or just a hair dresser who lives there.

When we lived on Burford Road, I  remember a hairdresser just round the corner from us that I used a couple of times. That was back in 1965 so couldn't have been the same chap, although same address.

Tim,  I lived on Russell Rd 1961-72 and the shop you refer to on Berridge Rd was a television repair shop around 1966/7.I'm sorry I don't remember what it was before but it was a proper shop with living accommodation  rather than a conversion. I also have a electronic copy of Kelly's Directory of Nottingham and West Bridgford for 1953 and 189 Berridge Rd is listed as a hairdressing business run by your relative Walter Knight. That gets you a bit more up to date. Hope it helps. 

• 11 months later...

Big warm wecome to you Tim Foster may I just ask, are you the Tim Foster who had the salon top of hockley on Carlton st and now have the salon, ion Derby Rd Nottingham,