Nottm City Council bankruptcy

The Nottingham City Council is at risk of having to declare bankruptcy.

It has the highest level of debt to budget ratio and the second lowest level of reserves of similar sized cities. They will be looking for funding from the Government to get them out of the mess. Possibly they will also be looking towards the council tax payers as well. It looks like there could be incompetence within the the Council.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm inclined to think the Council's bankruptcy is down to plain old-fashioned incompetence rather than a conspiracy.

You are allowed to get a reduced rate ticket on the tram if you have a non-Notts bus pass - £3.50 a day IIRC.

Certainly incompetence within the Nottingham City Council Phil.  Since Labour took over control of the Council 30 odd years ago there have been numerous financially disastrous decisions imposed on the

Certainly incompetence within the Nottingham City Council Phil.  Since Labour took over control of the Council 30 odd years ago there have been numerous financially disastrous decisions imposed on the City taxpayers.  Without even needing to think hard I can list some of these.  

1. Losing millions by investing in the failed Icelandic Bank

2. Robin Hood Energy has lost the taxpayer £38 million

3. The ugly, boring, soulless Old Market Square is reported to have cost in excess of  £8 million when it was constructed about 15 years (?) ago and I’ve yet to meet anyone who thinks it’s an improvement.  
4.  The debacle surrounding the Broad Marsh Centre, which is still being discussed as to what they intend  to do with the area. The latest idea of a green space will

just be a magnet for winos and drug addicts, but hey-ho. 
5.  Nottingham Castle works ..... estimated at the start to be £30 million ...... 

no doubt a lot more by the time it’s opened up again, it still looks exactly as it did before, from the outside anyway. 
6.  The UNUSED cycle lanes, the one running the length of Castle Boulevard takes 

up a third of the highway, and there’s hardly anyone using it, the cyclists would  rather ride along the canal towpath, putting pedestrians at risk.

7.  And just to get Catfan wound up, the tram ..... !! 
     The only time I’ve used the tram is to get to QMC, it’s a convenient way to travel 

there and avoids searching for ages to find a parking spot, at great expense.

Lots more failures to list I’m sure but when there are 50 Labour councillors and only a couple of Conservatives they can just do as they please whilst enjoying their free tea and sandwiches.  

• Like 2

Having lived in Doncaster during the Donnygate scandal of the labour run council it is no surprise at all. Even after this was discovered some of the councillors involved were voted back in again. It just defied logic. 

I am sure someone will answer this for me as I am not familiar will such high levels of finance. How can the City be made bankrupt when it is the biggest land owner by far in the City. This link should take you to a page where all the Council owned property in the City is indicated in red. With this amount of assets could they be made to sell some and clear the debts without   charging more Council Tax.

Nottingham City Council - Insight Mapping GIS Mapping

If the link will not work go to Nottingham city council insight mapping, which takes you to a map,   then click on housing and property then layers layers and scroll down to property ownership (council owned land) click on that,

the results surprised me.

Technically a local authority cannot be made ‘bankrupt’. They can, however, be forced to sell off assets to make good the deficit. There could also be large staff redundancies as they may be unable to pay wages. I’m not sure what would happen to certain councillors if misfeasance or negligence is proved against them but I’m sure legal action could be taken. It’s all governed by section 114 of the Local Government Act which is a lengthy piece of legislation and is best Googled rather than cut and pasted here.

Having looked at the map referred to they have an abundance of property for potential disposal. The sale of some of this could be a short term solution to balance the books but that would be at the expense of future rental income where property is let.

I haven't lived in Nottm since around 1970.. so I have little or no intimate knowledge of Nottm politics and finances.

From a distance, I see them as running a very good city bus service and a somewhat controversial tram service. In every other respect I see them as.. err.. crap. 

They seem determined to destroy everything that is 'historic' 'unique' and interesting about the city.

It is all very sad.

• Upvote 1

Hmm..council land being sold off...

:(

On a more positive note, and something that has confused me and my friends for year's...

When traveling by train the amount of countryside, not even growing crop's, serving no purpose..

If you fall to sleep on the Nott's, St Pancras train your chances of not greeting countryside through the window is well under 10 percent!

On 12/7/2020 at 7:53 PM, LizzieM said:

just be a magnet for winos and drug addicts, but hey-ho. 

Big area for them to cover, think it's a really good idea personaly..  I'd like the tacky market Sq approach to be transferred here.

Is there any archaeology research going on here? Broad Marsh?   Does anybody know  if any was done at the new ice stadium? 

HSR, re the new Ice Stadium, some research was done by a City department tied to the City Engineers. Archaeology ? A couple of years ago I was in touch with a guy at that department about the caves in that area. They had discovered all sorts of caves whilst preparing the site for the new building but very little was documented as it did not seem important at the time. The caves were all filled in. I looked at the old maps and I think there had been an old pub somewhere on the southern end of that area. Just to the north of that, there were some steps leading up into an old graveyard. I had been to a fire in a cave near where those steps had been, hence my interest. I did post something about it on here at the time, but where that is............?

Regards all

• Upvote 2

It’s certainly not like that round here in the Trent Valley. All the land is intensively farmed. The small fields get snapped up by the horsey types for grazing. We are unusual in having a piece of land  which we keep as a traditional meadow and it supports a host of wildflowers. Even this is mown annually for hay but that’s an ancient traditional practice.

• Like 1

Well found , Clifton. I now recall a later conversation with that City Engineer,  behind the fire area in the main cave , was a small pothole off to the right, I crawled down it about 8 foot to where there was just a small hole into a cold blackness. He told me that it was probably the void under the steps up to the graveyard. I think that was most likely, that sandstone bank up to the top was about 7 foot .

On 12/11/2020 at 10:35 AM, philmayfield said:

An old aunt witnessed the building of the previous ice stadium. She saw workmen throwing human bones about from the excavations and vowed from that day that when she died she would be cremated.

The old ice stadium didn't overly incur on the graveyard,.it was the car park .  If i remember, only allowed if they retained the trees... Seems a straight tarmac job to me.

You're right,  it would have been the carpark , the graveyard was long gone. That space could'nt  be seen from Lower Parliament Street as there were large  advertising hoardings directly at the foot of the sandstone bank. It was a  wide footpath (at that point) , with a fairly wide grass verge too between path and hoardings.   The cave the fire was in must have been a peaceful little space for whoever was dossing in it, out of sight behind the hoardings. 

I believe the graveyard was not in use for decades, well before Lower Parliament Street was put through.

Vast changes in that area now. I rather think the old pub has gone and a more recent one built slightly further up L.P. Street. 

Looking at the details on that plan, I'm amazed at how many back to back terraced houses there are and the number of streets that have since gone.  Vast changes over the years. 

Very interesting.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Nottm City Council bankruptcy