Yes that was a fast straight road but it was a bit ropey the last time I drove it just before Christmas. I like Lincolnshire, some of my ancestors farmed there in the 1800’s. They lived at Bloxholme near Sleaford and I discovered a churchyard full of family graves when I was researching my ancestry both in Bloxholme and the surrounding villages.

• Like 1
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's an interesting find that was dug out of the ground, it is a Picket Hamilton fort from a WW2 airfield that I was working at, the idea was these were set in the ground near the runways and was oc

My quad bike doesn't have a hook on the bottom so nothing can stop me. I must get it out and give it run to keep it ticking over. I don't feel so bad about riding a quad at 80 since of friend of mine

It's not taxed nor designed for road use as it doesn't have a rear differential. It's a Honda 125cc which I bought over 30 years ago. Being a Honda it always starts first time. It's done sterling work

Do you know, I've allus had me doubts about you two. Considering both your interests and rural connections etc. Are we looking at the Notts/Lincs  Clampets family, (The Wolds Dynasty).  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Phil, I could have said Hillbillies but I didn't want to sound a bit derogatory,  so I chose Dynasty. Fancy passing so close to Rog and not calling for a cup of tea. I'm sure he wouldn't have charged too much, family discount and all that.

• Like 1

The only farming name she can remember from Bolxholm was Wrawby family and the Wright family, do those names ring any bells

Rog

Back to the quarry, sand and gravel extraction, a Priestman drag line loading a Bedford? Thames? Ford? truck at what is now Tattershall Lakes holiday complex on the A153 road about a mile after Tattershall bridge heading towards Tattershall, at the time of this photo the company was called Castle Gravels the main road is behind the buildings you can see in the distance 

Castle_gravels_Tattershall_(3).jpg

Rog

• Like 2
1 hour ago, plantfit said:

The only farming name she can remember from Bolxholm was Wrawby family and the Wright family, do those names ring any bells

Rog

No Rog, just the Frudds. Bloxholm cemetery’s full of them. It was quite a surprise when we found it. I think they migrated to Nottingham to look for work when farming was going through a thin time.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, philmayfield said:

No Rog, just the Frudds. Bloxholm cemetery’s full of them. It was quite a surprise when we found it. I think they migrated to Nottingham to look for work....

I was in the same class at Gedling in the 60s with John Frudd of the Mapperley plumbing company .

Later on in the 70s , when married , we moved next door to John's parents on Norman Road , off Porchester Rd. 

• Like 1

Most people think of big holes in the ground when they think of "gravel pits/quarries" but there's a bit more to them than that, here is a section of the processing plant (they are nearly all built on the same lines) where the sand, silt and gravel are separated after that the sands are separated into soft sand, sharp sand and silt (waste product), the gravels are sorted into different sizes ie: 40mm, 20mm, 10mm and sometimes 6mm depending on customer demand, anything above 40mm and in some cases above 20mm are sent to the crusher to be crushed and sent through the system again to come out the in their respective size, some of you might find it interesting

DSCF3978.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

When some of the gravel pits in the Bleasby/Thurgarton area were exhausted in the 50/60's they were filled with power station ash, piped in a slurry, from the then coal burning Staythorpe A an B power stations. They have been grassed over for years but a few remain as fishing lakes and wildlife areas.

• Like 2

I can remember as a lad of about 13, swimming in the used gravel pits that were at Hemlockstone, which is now the site of Bramcote Crematorium. The processing plant was the other side of the road and was still working at that time. There was a little thatched building next to the entrance and we kids firmly believed it was a witches cottage and we were terrified when passing it. Turned out it was the weighbridge office. One thing I distinctly remember was the clarity of the water. When swimming under water you could see all the weeds growing. We even found and swam round a wrecked car.

• Like 2

A lot of old quarries are filled with water but some are returned to agriculture, root crops can't be grown for five years though until the soil structure has regained most of it's original body so grass and cereals only, the water is usually very clear because it's mainly ground water instead of being stream fed, if the quarries are to be filled with water they are clay lined using the clay from the bottom of the "dig" after the usable minerals have been extracted

Rog

• Like 2
On 2/17/2023 at 7:23 PM, philmayfield said:

We went to Bloxholm Hall where an old lady loaned us the church key. The hall was pretty run down and supported by scaffolding. We keep meaning to have another look, its been a few years.

Hope you don't mind Phil but I was in the area this morning so thought a few phots would be in order for you

DSCF1984.jpg

DSCF1985.jpg

DSCF1986.jpg

DSCF1989.jpg

Rog

Thanks Rog. I have those very same photos from about 20 years back. Fruddsville we christened it! The church is kept locked but the key was obtainable from an old lady at the nearby crumbling hall. No doubt she’s gone up in the sky since I last saw her. My great grandmother was one of the Frudds.

Re churches. Our village church is open every day. We're not members but my wife is on the door opening/closing rota. Were it me it would stay closed! :biggrin:

• Like 1