Basically the same...

Basically the same view to the horizon, 85 years on....

Cheers

Robt P.

AP Knighton@1920

Can anyone obtain a modern image of this location to add to this thread - Admin

post-29-1157278933_thumb.jpg

;) Is that a number 42 bus coming up the hill? but where I haven't a clue.. vampire2

Please. please I know, is it the High street Beeston at about 2-30 in the afternoon................ :tease: ...

!clapping! Correct Red...

Bentinck Road, pictured from the Alfreton Road end.

Mount Hooton Road on the horizon..

Reckon that road off at bottom right could be Peveril Street.

Piccy is of William Bentinck, Duke of Portland 1738-1809

British Prime Minister twice, seemingly a real smartarse of his time.....

http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page159.asp

Cheers

Robt P.

A good test that Rob.

Does anyone know the connection with one of the shops on the left to the undetected 'Pretty windows murder?

nottingham-murder-poster.jpg

1963 - The murder of George Wilson, Nottingham

The Fox & Grapes was and still is known locally as the "Pretty windows pub". This is where landlord George Wilson was stabbed to death in 1963.

George was attacked when he was unlocking the door to his pub. He was stabbed 13 times.

The seemingly motiveless murder sparked, what was then, Nottingham's biggest murder investigation.

nottingham-murder-scene.jpg

George Wilson was killed outside his pub in Nottingham

For three months 140 officers worked an 18 hour day, more than 60,000 people were interviewed and in effect every dustbin was emptied in Nottingham within two days of the killing in the search for the murder weapon.

Scotland Yard were brought in to help the Nottinghamshire Police conduct the murder investigation. It was the last time Scotland Yard helped in a murder enquiry with no London connections.

Dozens of knives were recovered by officers or handed in by members of the public. Finally on the ninth day of the inquiry came the breakthrough the police were waiting for.

Two boys playing in a ditch along the Nottingham to Radcliffe-on-Trent road found the knife in its sheaf. At the time the clues offered up from the knife didn't lead to the killer.

Images & information courtesy BBC

Actually, an Interesting point.

They did not know about DNA in 63. How did they know that was the knife that killed george? By blood type alone?

Modern DNA technology could now link the knife to George.

Do you remember the newsagent that went missing, and as far as I know is still missing, from the shop on the green?

If I remember he used to go in the local pubs flashing a bulging wallet.

I don't think they ever found the newsagent though.

A ;)

It was around 1967 'cause that was when I met the other half and I think we were together when it happened. He used to go in the Johnsons Arms on the Green, smoked a small cigar and always had a lot of money in his pocket. We seem to remember a ring on his little finger.

A ;)

Actually, an Interesting point.

They did not know about DNA in 63. How did they know that was the knife that killed george? By blood type alone?

Modern DNA technology could now link the knife to George.

They knew it was a local lad who committed the murder , because the knife still had butter on it !