Two pictures up !! By the side of the Council House on Long Row , was the famous one !

Mentioned in the film "Ice Cold In Alex" by none other than Sir John Mills' character.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a date with a Waitress from the Grovesnor name of Linda,,don't know if it was same one Fly,tall skinny lass with short blonde hair.....be about 1968........went in 2 or 3 Pubs in town,,and i notic

A little mistake in that write up, they show a picture of the old Black Boy , but the story concerns the one on Market Street !

Thanks for the link Ray

I noticed that...bit of a daft mistake.The Black Boy on Market Street was certainly trading in '74. I remember parking being strictly limited outside there,and the Grosvenor car park being blocked off immediately after the Birmingham pub bombings.It was a few weeks before security at the doors of Berni Inns (and other pubs) was relaxed.

What was the replacement like?

The 2nd steak was worse than the 1st & the 3rd i gave up & left , think it may be geared up for students most of the meals where £3-99ish , you can only expect offal @ the best @ that price !

Not been in Wheelhouse yet the opening day/night was only yesterday 5th.

The pub were going to on Dec 28th Meet up does a very good Sirloin Steak for £5.99 or was it £5.29, with a free pint, including Guest ales. Unfortunately the 'Steak Club' is all day Tuesdays

• 2 years later...

Just reading the Pubs You Really Miss thread and noticed mention of Berni Inns so thought I'd have a look and found this thread.

I worked at the Savoy in the 70's as part of my work experience, in their grill bar as a waitress. One of my enduring memories is dumping - accidentally - a prawn cocktail in the lap of one of my customers. He was very good about it and I still got a good tip! (No jokes please!!!!)

In 1979 I was senior assistant manageress of the Black Boy which indeed was on Market Street, it wasn't all just standing around looking like a penguin as mentioned in an earlier post. The old Black Boy statue from the original building was there in the foyer I think? I remember there being three floors, downstairs being a lunchtime bar and upstairs being the banqueting suite, the ground floor was the actual Berni Bar. One of the main memories of working at the Black Boy was closing up when you had to check all areas of the building to make sure there was no one lurking in the building.....now that was spooky especially down in the basement, we always went down there in twos.

I left there when I got married in 1980 as we were bound for Oman, and was sad to see the Black Boy had gone on my return, though I believe the actual Black Boy statue is still around somewhere near the canal?

• Upvote 1

Mrs C and I STILL reminisce about the Bernis and wish that we could find somewhere that still offered a good tasty simple steak without being smothered in a questionable sauce, and perhaps start with something like a prawn cocktail, finishing with, say, a Black Forest gateaux. Our favourites were The Ol Cricket Players and The Hut.

Good old Days!!

• 3 years later...
On 8/21/2014 at 9:22 AM, Commo said:

Mrs C and I STILL reminisce about the Bernis and wish that we could find somewhere that still offered a good tasty simple steak without being smothered in a questionable sauce, and perhaps start with something like a prawn cocktail, finishing with, say, a Black Forest gateaux. Our favourites were The Ol Cricket Players and The Hut.

Good old Days!!

Cricket Players was the first Berni I ever went in. You got - "..a steak and a glass of wine for less than a pound...." 19/11 - I remember it well. I used to take new girlfriends there to impress them with my sophistication haha

Tried em all, and never had a bad steak. A sad loss to the discerning public.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, MansfieldMichael said:

I used to take new girlfriends there to impress them with my sophistication haha

You sound just like Del Boy, that was one of his phrases !

• Like 1
6 hours ago, MansfieldMichael said:

Just watched a BBC Timewatch prog and they told a brief history of Berni Inns. They showed a map of locations and Long Eaton was on it. I have Googled it exhaustively, but cannot find out which pub the Berni was in? Anyone enlighten me?

Like Commo said it was The Royal on High Street Long Eaton

Later became Credos, I believe it is now closed

Picture of Credos

• Like 1

One of the secrets of the "Guinness" looking coffees was that the coffee itself was loaded with sugar. The high density of this bottom layer enabled the less dense cream to float on the top. I remember the looks of despair on the faces of the staff when someone requested their coffee to be unsugared.

• Like 1

Thanks katyjay, jonab and commo,

Bugga, I've drunk all the Bushmills trying to get it right. I don't take sugar so that may be the problem.

Shopping tomorrow for some brown sugar, Bushmills and single and double cream.

In the interest of science I don't want to get it right the first time, it could well take a few tries

• Like 1

I thought it was always white sugar that was used, but I could be mistaken. A lot of specialty coffees have passed my lips since.

No, as I've mentioned previously, Linda, a girl who had a flat in my mates house in The Park worked there, and after the crowds had dispersed, she invariably treated a few of us to Russian coffees. Purely to use up the cream of course, as it rarely stayed fresh, even in the fridge. Well that was our excuse !

• Like 3

Something you might try, Oz, is to lightly whip some either whipping cream (if available over there) or double cream - just enough to thicken it and to incorporate some air and then carefully spoon that over the top of the coffee.

The cheats way is to use cream from a nitrous oxide cream whipper or from an aerosol can. Guaranteed to float then.