• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a date with a Waitress from the Grovesnor name of Linda,,don't know if it was same one Fly,tall skinny lass with short blonde hair.....be about 1968........went in 2 or 3 Pubs in town,,and i notic

1 hour ago, Commo said:

Summat to do wi Nonna perhaps?

Not guilty.

Yes it always had to be brown sugar, the soft one not demarara. Cold double cream over spoon whichever is easiest. The trick if you're not too sure about it is to get the tip of the spoon on or very near coffee surface and pour slowly. You quicken up with practice.

Went to see mum this morning and asked her if she knew what Bernis used on their steaks. From what she could remember was oil, salt and pepper and she said meat tenderiser. I think that was MG.u

As regards the steaks , the grills were very powerfull they sealed the meat immediately . It kept the steaks juicy that way.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, FLY2 said:

No, as I've mentioned previously, Linda, a girl who had a flat in my mates house in The Park worked there, and after the crowds had dispersed, she invariably treated a few of us to Russian coffees. Purely to use up the cream of course, as it rarely stayed fresh, even in the fridge. Well that was our excuse !

Had a date with a Waitress from the Grovesnor name of Linda,,don't know if it was same one Fly,tall skinny lass with short blonde hair.....be about 1968........went in 2 or 3 Pubs in town,,and i noticed the same bloke appearing in every Pub......pointed him out to her,, she said ''yes my husbands hired him he gets every where'' did'nt even know she was married.......our romance did'nt last long......lol

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I remember a steak-house on  Huntingdon St, just South of the bus station, it was opposite Brown Bro's, wasn't that a Berni Inn?, I have a very definite memory of an "incident" outside Brown Bro's around 1972 involving a brown Mk3 Cortina, hope it wasn't somebody off this forum !

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone remember the Shipley Boat Inn? A Berni Inn. We were supposed to have dinner there one evening. The person who planned this did not book! It was packed so we had to go back into Nottingham and the Cricketers was good. Any comments about the Shipley Boat Inn? Just wondering what we missed all those years ago. These days I love Italian food.

27 minutes ago, BilboroughShirley said:

Does anyone remember the Shipley Boat Inn? A Berni Inn. We were supposed to have dinner there one evening. The person who planned this did not book! It was packed so we had to go back into Nottingham and the Cricketers was good. Any comments about the Shipley Boat Inn? Just wondering what we missed all those years ago. These days I love Italian food.

I have memories of going to see local groups play at the Shipley Boat Inn, can someone confirm this was a venue? ......I certainly never went there to eat a steak.   

Yes it was,,late 60s fell out with a 'Band/Group' who used to often play there,,can't remember what they were called but they also played at the ''Man of Iron'' Stapleford,,fell out with em there as well,, it was them not me, ''honest m'lord''        lol

15 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Yes it was,,late 60s fell out with a 'Band/Group' who used to often play there,,can't remember what they were called but they also played at the ''Man of Iron'' Stapleford,,fell out with em there as well,, it was them not me, ''honest m'lord''        lol

This was not a female band/group, I presume? ;)

• Like 1

No Jill def. not a female group,,...although females were involved in our altercations..........lol

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stuart.C said:

MFN used to owned by the Drummer and founder member of Showaddywaddy , Malcolm Allured, don't know if it still is but he appears to be still alive.

It's a very popular motor enthusiasts venue, both bikes and cars.

https://www.mfn-club.co.uk/

Yes Malcolm still owns it, last night was supposed to be the final night for the year, Verbal Warning were the group, but they've extended it until next week with The Fockers.

I think we all miss Berni Inns though Shirley.  My husband particularly enjoyed dining In their restaurants back in the 1970s because the receipts didn’t show the address of the actual restaurant but rather the Berni Head Office (in Bristol I think). That way we could go out and enjoy a Prawn Cocktail, Steak and Black Forest Gateau on his company expense account ;)  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The best Cliff. Friday nights there in the early 70's were legendary !