When we arrived late on a Friday night, the two regular waitresses, Madge and Ann if I remember rightly, would bring us extra cobs, side salads and then apple pies. Super. Of course, they were tipped well !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a date with a Waitress from the Grovesnor name of Linda,,don't know if it was same one Fly,tall skinny lass with short blonde hair.....be about 1968........went in 2 or 3 Pubs in town,,and i notic

Fly I think you were talking about my mum Madge, can't remember Ann though . There was Bonnie who I remember. Think they all worked in Fanny's bar upstairs. She often said she had some lovely customers that she spoilt . Mum worked there for quite a number of years and don't think there was another Madge.

• Upvote 1

I must have been one of her lovely customers then nonna. A wonderful kind and amusing lady. :hungr:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

My dad was never one for spending money but we did have the occasional treat of going for a steak at the Black Boy Berni Inn on Market Street. I remember their Irish liquer coffees too.

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...

I remember nicking off school at lunchtime, getting ten bob out of the bank and going to the Grosvenor on my Lambretta for a couple of sneaky pints and a few Players Number 6 in 1970! Last night before emigrating to Oz was at the Savoy in January 1978.

Went to a Bernie inn with my boss in about 1976 - he asked for a pint and they told him they only served halves. "I'll have two halves then". all class.

• Like 1

Welcome Winnie. Don't think you were the only one that skipped school in 1970. I used to skip work in a sense that I used to go back late after lunch so I could go for a meal in one of the Berni's. This was before 1970 because I married in that year. 

In the early 1970s we used to go to The Black Boy Inn which I think was at the top of Queen St?  We always went on a Friday night cos you got chicken & chips in a basket for 7s 6d and I still have a receipt! but with that you got the disco thrown in.  A small dance floor but it was a lovely place to be and the DJ was female - she was great.  Her choice of music was fantastic but I have no idea what her name was.

Edit:   actually I think her name may have been Maggie?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2018 at 9:49 PM, Cliff Ton said:

DA8FiF7.jpg

What a great place this was ?? in the 60s there used to be 4 couples who went out on Every Saturday night, we were one of them. The thing was that pubs closed 10 30. So to get a drink the Chateau was the place to go as it closed 2 30 am, but to get a drink after 11 00 you had to put your name down for a meal, so time and time each Saturday we would put our names down but only now and again we woud stay for a meal.  ps Tell no one.

On 5/10/2021 at 1:37 PM, doodle said:

In the early 1970s we used to go to The Black Boy Inn which I think was at the top of Queen St?  We always went on a Friday night cos you got chicken & chips in a basket for 7s 6d and I still have a receipt! but with that you got the disco thrown in.  A small dance floor but it was a lovely place to be and the DJ was female - she was great.  Her choice of music was fantastic but I have no idea what her name was.

Edit:   actually I think her name may have been Maggie?

A very warm WECOME to a new member. Can not seem to remember The Black Boy on Market St the only one I know is/was on Long Row? can you give anymore details please?

Not sure @doodlesaid Market Street @mary1947in the quote you quoted, or in the original post which is only 3 up :crazy: 

@doodle said Queen Street, but strangely enough The Old Black Boy Berni Inn was on Market Street :crazy: which is now Latin inspired Revolución de Cuba :crazy:

Me heads spinning typing that :biggrin:

Quoting is so much easier RR.............  and would make more sense.... ;)

Being a nostalgia site we have to appreciate we are dealing with an older clientele who can easily forget what they are replying to or why they even came here in the first place it could have taken hours just remember their login :crazy:

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, radfordred said:

Being a nostalgia site we have to appreciate we are dealing with an older clientele who can easily forget what they are replying to or why they even came here in the first place it could have taken hours just to login :crazy:

Which makes quoting al the more relevant don't you think?  It enables poor souls like me in our dotage to follow the conversation.  

1 hour ago, Brew said:

Quoting is so much easier RR.............  and would make more sense.... ;)

53 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

Nah. No-one will ever use it.

44 minutes ago, denshaw said:

They might do.

42 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

When they find it IS easier:jumping:

41 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

There's a photo of the Market Street Berni earlier in this thread.

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/9082-black-boy-hotel/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-454461

4 minutes ago, Brew said:

Which makes quoting al the more relevant don't you think?  It enables poor souls like me in our dotage to follow the conversation.  

I agree, that makes a lot more sense (plus I’m on me pad on free EMR WiFi) 

Another convert!!!       :jumping:welcome to the club RR... I knew you'd see sense eventually...

• Like 1