Recommended Posts

Just been on a houseboat on the mighty River Murray with a group of friends. One of the girls made me a gaelic coffee. Took me straight back to the days of Berni Inns. The Sawyers, The Cricketers and the Grosvenor were our favourites.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a date with a Waitress from the Grovesnor name of Linda,,don't know if it was same one Fly,tall skinny lass with short blonde hair.....be about 1968........went in 2 or 3 Pubs in town,,and i notic

22 hours ago, radfordred said:

Not sure @doodlesaid Market Street @mary1947in the quote you quoted, or in the original post which is only 3 up :crazy: 

@doodle said Queen Street, but strangely enough The Old Black Boy Berni Inn was on Market Street :crazy: which is now Latin inspired Revolución de Cuba :crazy:

 

Me heads spinning typing that :biggrin:

sorry but it was very early in the morning i was half asleep xxx

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2021 at 8:38 AM, mary1947 said:

A very warm WECOME to a new member. Can not seem to remember The Black Boy on Market St the only one I know is/was on Long Row? can you give anymore details please?

All I remember is the road split and the main post office was on the left side of the split the Black Boy on the the right side of the split - can't remember the buildings the ran in the middle of the split if you get my drift?  I think the Kardoma may have been on the same street and also a Wedding Gown Shop Pronuptua?  that sat on the corner of a small alley where Keith Hall and Adrian Hairdressers were - I remember that cos I had a relative Rosco who worked there.  The alley led back down to square and I also remember a small boutique (dress shop)  called No. 10 cos I had a friend who could afford to buy clothes there I just had to enjoy the outing!

Link to post
Share on other sites

The roads that split are Queen St. (Post Office) and King St. (formerly Jessops). Market St. is the next street along and the Black Boy was at the top of Market St. on the rhs. The Kardoma was on the top rh corner of Market St. almost in Theatre Square.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The large building on the “prow” of the split was the Prudential Assurance Company where I started work in 1963. Although it’s gone through many incarnations (Hot Rock Cafe, Brazilian restaurant and now a trendy cocktail bar) you can still see “PAC” in the building’s many carvings. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, doodle said:

 I think the Kardoma may have been on the same street and also a Wedding Gown Shop Pronuptua?  that sat on the corner of a small alley where Keith Hall and Adrian Hairdressers were - I remember that cos I had a relative Rosco who worked there. The alley led back down to square and I also remember a small boutique (dress shop)  called No. 10 

 

I think you're referring to Greyhound Street, which is now pedestrianised. There used to be a Kardomah near the end of here (there's a photo which shows it)...and a Keith Hall. And the bottom end of Greyhound Street comes out facing the Market Square.  

 

https://goo.gl/maps/VYq41WGfDhTjiZp27

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, doodle said:

All I remember is the road split and the main post office was on the left side of the split the Black Boy on the the right side of the split - can't remember the buildings the ran in the middle of the split if you get my drift?  I think the Kardoma may have been on the same street and also a Wedding Gown Shop Pronuptua?  that sat on the corner of a small alley where Keith Hall and Adrian Hairdressers were - I remember that cos I had a relative Rosco who worked there.  The alley led back down to square and I also remember a small boutique (dress shop)  called No. 10 cos I had a friend who could afford to buy clothes there I just had to enjoy the outing!

Yes i think you are right doodle, but top of King st before Kardoma was it not Waring and Gillow? Jessops (john lewis) was allso there, across the road was another hair salon now called "Krowns" and the building which went round bottom of King St and Queen St used to belong to the council.  It was the rent office.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, doodle said:

All I remember is the road split and the main post office was on the left side of the split the Black Boy on the the right side of the split - can't remember the buildings the ran in the middle of the split if you get my drift?  I think the Kardoma may have been on the same street and also a Wedding Gown Shop Pronuptua?  that sat on the corner of a small alley where Keith Hall and Adrian Hairdressers were - I remember that cos I had a relative Rosco who worked there.  The alley led back down to square and I also remember a small boutique (dress shop)  called No. 10 cos I had a friend who could afford to buy clothes there I just had to enjoy the outing!

Used to work in the Provident office on Upper Parliament St in the late 70's - we often used to go to the Black Boy on a Friday lunch treat for an Irish coffee which we thought very posh!  Was always busy with shoppers having snacks in the bar area - the restaurant, I seem to remember, was at the rear to the left of the bar.  Can see the girl pouring the cream over the back of a spoon onto our coffees even as I type.  It was all red velvet curtains and guilt furniture, along with the statutory red flock wallpaper that was so popular in places like this back in the 1970's.  Loved and lost eh?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can remember the Kardomah being at the corner of Greyhound Street, Cliff. Remember you used to go down stairs into a huge cafeteria - well it looked huge to a little lad, which I was back then!

My wife used to go to Keith Halls, entrance to which was up the stairs in the corner of Greyhound Street - where the bins are in the photo.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can remember it being there, but don't remember actually going in the place.

 

I've looked in old phone directories, and Kardomah was officially 12 King Street, which on the Streetview link is now the Zizzi Italian Restaurant.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to recall Kardomah coffee was situated close to the Bell Inn on Angel Row. Walking past the aroma of freshly ground coffee was delightful. Date about 1950 to 1960.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

I can remember it being there, but don't remember actually going in the place.

 

I've looked in old phone directories, and Kardomah was officially 12 King Street, which on the Streetview link is now the Zizzi Italian Restaurant.

It was indeed, I remember it well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Alpha said:

I seem to recall Kardomah coffee was situated close to the Bell Inn on Angel Row. Walking past the aroma of freshly ground coffee was delightful. Date about 1950 to 1960.

 

I think the place you are remembering would've been something other than Kardomah. In old directories there isn't one listed at that location.

 

In the 50s there was a Kardomah on Clumber Street; and in the 60s there was one on Market St and the other on King St.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Zizzi’s still has a similar layout to the old Kardomah. In the door, turn right, down the staircase, dogleg left, into the dining room. Not as big as I remember, but I was only a nipper when it was the Kardomah.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow how Nottm has changed but then I did leave in 1979!  Zizzis where the Kardoma I remember circa 1965 had a basement where in the main students hung out, the ground floor was where to buy your coffee beans and have a coffee at the bar where mum took me and upstairs was posh!   Failing that it was a well known old fashioned tea room (so well known that I've forgotten the name!), was it Lyons? the waitresses wore black dresses and white pinnies one of my relatives was a cashier there.  Then again if all these were busy on a Saturday we would end up at either Griffin & Spalding tea shop or Pearsons tea room where I remember they did a lovely toasted tea cake.

 

By the way thanks for the photos and yes Keith Hall & Adrian was in the corner.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2021 at 9:27 AM, Andyblackpool said:

Used to work in the Provident office on Upper Parliament St in the late 70's - we often used to go to the Black Boy on a Friday lunch treat for an Irish coffee which we thought very posh!  Was always busy with shoppers having snacks in the bar area - the restaurant, I seem to remember, was at the rear to the left of the bar.  Can see the girl pouring the cream over the back of a spoon onto our coffees even as I type.  It was all red velvet curtains and guilt furniture, along with the statutory red flock wallpaper that was so popular in places like this back in the 1970's.  Loved and lost eh?

I'd totally forgotten the irish coffee which was delicious and I still make them at home all these years later!  Very difficult to get a good Irish coffee in France in fact most coffees that come with cream has the squirty out of a tin type - just not the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, doodle said:

  Failing that it was a well known old fashioned tea room (so well known that I've forgotten the name!), was it Lyons? the waitresses wore black dresses and white pinnies one of my relatives was a cashier there.  

 

Lyons was on Long Row, just along from Griffin & Spalding (later Debenhams). It was a narrow building, but went back a long way.

 

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/4910-lyons-tea-house/?tab=comments#comment-56036

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...