Keeping fit indoors

Improving and maintaining our fitness has never been as important as it is now, during the ever extended Covid period. It does not matter how restricted or unfit we are, there is always something that can be done to improve matters. Lethargy is a killer, both physically and mentally. It is a proven fact that a bit exercise and raising the heart rate for a while will break us out of our stupor and energise us. Makes us feel better.

For those that can, a brisk walk is good but don't fall into the trap of thinking that 'that is it' and then spend all day in front of the telly or playing with the ipad.

It is time for inventiveness. For example - if you go upstairs for some reason, go up and down several times instead of just the once. I do this, involuntary, quite often, when forgetting what I went up for:rolleyes: 

If you are watching TV during each commercial stand up and sit down for that period. Play games like stand up and sit down five times every time that you see an actor have a drink or light a fag - and so on.  It could be fun ;)

• Like 9

PeveriPeril 

Tried what you said about going upstairs ended up on the roof, (live in a bungalow) why don't you have a look at Joe Wicks utube he showa you excisise or seniors. 

Tried to do power walk the other day walking home from the village, but !!   and a big but!!!!!   i did not start my power walk till 50yds from home, and the last 50 yards was up-hill. So by the time I arrived at my front door iI needed oxegen.

• Like 3

Well done Mary. At least you got out. I get plenty of exercise, what with the digging and wheelbarrowing. I also use the indoor rower every day. Rowed over 80km since New Years day. I did feel tired today though. Just supping a beer - that'll bring me round :biggrin:

• Like 2

Now don't get me wrong here.. I'm pretty unfit and I've certainly put on a few pounds since lockdown... When I've got rid of all the Christmas treats.. I intend getting back to a low carb.. low fat, high protein high veg diet. I think that counts as indoors...:rolleyes:

Exercise is still allowed and I try to go for a decent walk at least every other day.  By that.. I mean a walk of maybe 30 to 40 minutes...and I mean purposeful walking.. not just strolling. Everywhere is uphill round here..so I often find myself slowing down and struggling.. but if it is raising the respiration and heart rate.. my understanding is that it is good for you.  I can't walk as far or as fast as I could only a few years ago and I suppose the state of the old ticker doesn't help.. but you have to keep on pushing.

I also try to do shorter 'powerwalks' a few times a week.  They are just 15 minutes, or even ten minutes.. out .. just on the local streets.  Get as far as poss in the time then turn around and walk back as fast as poss.. I use the timer on my phone.

I try not to sit for extended periods during the day..and always try to get at least one thing done around the house.  So.. yesterday I moved six bags of sand and some 2x2 paving stones so that they are where I want them if it ever warms up enough for me to continue re-laying the paving at the back.

Today I took down all the Christmas lights inside and out..untangled them and put them all back in boxes and up on the landing.  I'm not allowed to take the tree down, but when the Boss does that tomorrow.. I'll put everything back in the loft.

This bit isn't about fitness.. but I really do find myself desperate to get the Christmas stuff out of the way as soon as poss after New Year.. whereas Mrs Col would leave it for weeks.  It's not that I hate Christmas.. it's more that I need to consign it to the past and look forward.. to the Spring.

Finally.. on the fitness.  I've re-started my weight training.  I've had to reduce my Dumbbells from around 12Kg.. to 9Kg. and so far have only done one set of ten of each move per session... but  previous experience shows that the strength comes back fairly quickly if you keep at it... so I'm hoping to be back to three sets of 10 reps per move soon... then start to 'up' the weight again.

I really miss swimming.  Maybe after I get a jab..

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Think you do brilliantly with your fitness Col,,wish i could,,

Before my surgery i prided myself on my fitness,, at 73 i was proud of my ability to still run and walk long distances,,een able to play five-aside football,,,          Now at 76 i struggle ti walk far,, I'm getting better but very slowly,,,but i will improve my fitness,,, not quite to pp"s standard,,but ill strive,, lol,,   

After smoking and drinking and generally chasing the good life for 50 odd years,, i mus"nt grumble,,,

I'm lucky to have a loving Wife and family around me.  Live in a nice house in a nice area with lovely Neighbours'''...always think about people who are alone and have to cope with their problems alone.....and this Covid has certainly added to their problems.......

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Just a little more about getting fit.  I brought a skipping rope the other via charity shop, and belive or not I could not skip.

Now I know that I have Parki and this could be my problem, (Parki ) (Parkinson's slow movment) so I took the skipping row with me to my Tai Chi class, most members there are over 50/60s  and belive or not, none of them could skip. 

Along came a grand-daughter of one of the member's and there we all were learning to skip from a 10 year old. We are a mixed group so there was know discrimation. eg women v men  If fact we all had a laugh and good time.   

ps this was early last year.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Now at 76 i struggle ti walk far,, I'm getting better but very slowly,,,but i will improve my fitness,,, not quite to pp"s standard,,but ill strive,, lol,,   

That's the spirit Ben.  Thanks for 'bigging me up', but I don't deserve it.  I haven't had to deal with what you have.

• Like 1
On 1/6/2021 at 9:24 AM, radfordred said:

Have you tried skipping without the rope @mary1947 it's called jumping :biggrin:

HA!!! HA!!!

• 1 year later...
On 1/6/2021 at 12:04 AM, mary1947 said:

PeveriPeril 

Tried what you said about going upstairs ended up on the roof, (live in a bungalow) why don't you have a look at Joe Wicks utube he showa you excisise or seniors. 

Tried to do power walk the other day walking home from the village, but !!   and a big but!!!!!   i did not start my power walk till 50yds from home, and the last 50 yards was up-hill. So by the time I arrived at my front door iI needed oxegen.

I did the same mary about an hundred yards from home after getting off the bus , i did a fast walking sprint , sideways like a crab......i was busting for the toilet badly !!