The style of chimney stack on Sherwood station master's house (photo above from Catfan) helps to identify two other station masters' houses on the Suburban line that still exist: one on The Wells Road (St Anns Station) and the other at bottom of Porchester Road (Thorneywood Station).

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A brief history.  

Mrs C's 87 year old dad is moving in to his own flat here tomorrow so Mrs C can keep her beady eye on him.    

The only bit I knew about the Cedars was that Tina went up to the top of Upton drive to a rear entrance to go to work. Wasn't sure where the main entrance off Mansfield rd., was. After all, it is 42 years since I went up that road.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

The Ewing school is opposite Woodthorpe Drive. The Cedars is further down towards Valley Rd. but is long demolished.

No Phil, the Cedars building is still there, having been turned into ‘executive apartments’ a long time ago.  In fact I know 3 people who live in the building but I’ve never been invited in.  
All I remember about the Cedars years ago was that it was a rehabilitation centre, my Grandad was in there in 1953/54ish recovering from a bowel cancer operation.  He didn’t live much longer after that sadly.  

The Ewing School for the Deaf was the location of the first Youth Club I ever attended and I learned to do the Twist there!!  Don’t remember there being any deaf kids there while Chubby Checker was on the gramophone though and I have no idea who organised the youth club.

• Like 1

When I was 16 I was invited to a birthday party in the building where that Youth Club/Deaf School was.  My dad wouldn’t let me go even though it had been organised by a parent!  I was NOT pleased!

I visited a friend of mine in the Cedars in 1964 as she was recovering from surgery after a car crash where she’ d gone through the windscreen!  

I've found this topic fascinating, parts of the City I never saw. Looking at railway lines referred to on the old maps, I spotted an area to the right of Ransom Road where there is an unusual semi circular layout of small blocks, marked as ruins, there are what look like old barracks nearby. This is on a post war map and I wonder if it's an anti-aircraft site or perhaps a barrage balloon site. 

I'm intrigued, anyone know about that site ?  On Google maps there is now an education centre.

Regards all.....

It's  remarkable how this thread has taken so many twists and turns since its inception. That's one of the things I find fascinating about NS. Learning all the time about areas I thought I  knew.

(but still not come across anybody i used to know).

35 minutes ago, fogrider said:

I spotted an area to the right of Ransom Road where there is an unusual semi circular layout of small blocks, marked as ruins, there are what look like old barracks nearby. This is on a post war map and I wonder if it's an anti-aircraft site or perhaps a barrage balloon site. 

I think you're referring to the place mentioned in this thread ....... 

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/18502-camp-near-walter-halls-school/

2 hours ago, Beekay said:

....That's one of the things I find fascinating about NS. Learning all the time about areas I thought I  knew.

(but still not come across anybody i used to know).

There’s only one person on here I used to know.  The last time I spoke with him face to face was when we were both 10 or 11.  I just remember he was a quiet little lad ..... wonder what happened :rotfl:

It’s a ‘meadow’ to be pedantic. The village event’s committee were discussing our two yearly ‘open gardens’ which should be this year. We do our bit by opening the meadow to those who like looking at wildflowers. Alas it’s very difficult to plan fo events at the moment so it’s been decided to hold it over until next year. It’s disappointing because we used to get a lot of knowledgeable wildflower ‘experts’ to chat to and I would display my old Fergie tractor. Next year maybe.

• Like 2

Thanks for that interesting link Clifton, the consensus appears to be anti-aircraft gun site, but, would that many huts be needed even with a 2 or 3 shift system. ? I suppose it's possible that if homeless were given them after the war, maybe a few more were added later, it's quite a large space. When we moved here in the mid seventies, there was a similar layout of huts in a wooded area nearby. Put up for Italian prisoners of war. Eden camp museum, near Malton ,is based on an Italian prisoner of war camp with many of the original huts still in use.

Good bit of Nottingham history , will look at some more of those old aerial photo's. 

18 hours ago, fogrider said:

Thanks for that interesting link Clifton, the consensus appears to be anti-aircraft gun site, but, would that many huts be needed even with a 2 or 3 shift system. ?

Good bit of Nottingham history , will look at some more of those old aerial photo's. 

There are/were probably quite a few AA gun emplacements around Nottingham which have gradually been lost or buried over time. A few years ago I found there had been one on the outskirts of Clifton only a few minutes from where I grew up; it disappeared in the early 60s under the Teacher Training College - now University.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...