• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A brief history.  

Mrs C's 87 year old dad is moving in to his own flat here tomorrow so Mrs C can keep her beady eye on him.    

Thanks Phil., you have just jogged another memory. Old mate of mine used to be a caretaker at Arno Vale school. He lived in the bungalow just inside the entrance. Sadly, passed away many years ago, after moving to Peacehaven, on the South Coast.

Then there was the railway line, mentioned on here a long time ago, that I assume ran from Daybrook Station, along the side of Arnold Park, under a bridge at the top of Arnot Hill Road and along the back of Sandfield Road and through a tunnel at the bottom of Greendale Road which in my childhood was just a track, not an asphalted road and there were no houses built down there, beyond the tunnel I have no idea where it went to.  I used to go and play down that track, on the embankment, picking bundles of pussy willows for my mummy and we would see how brave we were by creeping into and along the dark tunnel. 

• Like 1

I'm not talking about when you were at school Phil., this must have been late 60s early 70s. Just had a look on Google as another memory clicked in. Our dentist was at the start of Arno Vale Road, it was Brown's then, looks like Woodthorpe dental practice now. Mr Brown was the first dentist to give me an extraction using injection in the gum, (always had gas before).

Edit.. Just had another look on Mr.Google, the school is now called Woodthorpe Infant school. The bungalow is still there. Maybe this was not your school after all.

Sincere apologies for any confusion.

Yes Phil.  The caretaker was Mr Varley, then there was another man I think who was the caretaker when I was 14.  I remember him because he had a son who my friend liked.  My friend and I used to play ‘tennis’ against the school wall so we could sometimes see this lad (and his dishy friend!) who used to play football kick about on the school field outside the caretaker’s house.  I can’t remember the name of this caretaker..... but he was a very friendly man

@LizzieM that railway ran at the bottom of the garden of the house where I was born - Hereford Road.  I can’t remember it because we moved to Woodthorpe Drive when I was just a few months old.

Pleased you liked to pick pussy willow same as me!  When I got married I went to the brickyard the day before and picked some to put in the church along with daffodils from our garden .  

A recap from me with cap in hand. I had the schools wrong!! Never knew about your senior school. The one I  was referring to was the junior school that is actually  on Arno Vale Rd. I see from the sign that it now an infant school. I remember me and 'er indoors going through the gates to his bungalow for tea. So sorry for mistake Margie and Phil.

You aren’t mistaken BK.  Arno Vale was our infant and junior school.  
My friend and I were 14 when we used to hang around on the school field - the caretaker said we could.  Just remembered the caretakers name was Archie

As you and I are roughly the same age, what I'm referring to is well after your school days. Don't forget, I was married at the time and my mate was a bit older than me, (RIP). His name was Dave, but everyone called him Day. For the life of me I cannot recall his surname, (could ask his widow but she is over 90 and I don't want to stir memories).

I’ve just pinched the above photo from Facebook ‘Mapperley People’, Ashwell Tunnel and it’s only been posted this evening! Looks like 1950s but could be that harsh winter of 62/63. 

Talking of tunnels. I've just been trawling my nets on Youtube and came across this tunnel from Derby Road to the Park. Half my life in Nottingham and never knew it existed. Anybody got any info on it? (Please).

Screenshot-20210115-222614-You-Tube.jpg

I never knew it existed either BK but 2 or 3 years ago a group of Nottstalgians visited this tunnel, I couldn’t get there but one of these days I’ll go try to find it. 

After the Nottstalgians walked through this tunnel (we missed that meet up)  Paul and I walked through it on our next visit to Nottingham .  I never knew of its existence until then

• Like 1

Not sure where I got this story from, but here goes.

The tunnel was built approximately mid 18hundreds, for the carriages to get to the Park Estate. It was never used for what it was built for as it turned out to be too steep for the horses to drag the carriages up there?

We attended that Tunnel meet up and it was a lovely day. Sorry to say it rained throughout the walk, but the company made up for that. I believe Sue (Mrs Catfan) took some pictures and made a presentation of them, it was brilliant,   I had a look on our Nottstalgia Social Events thread and there was also some photos taken by Catfan, also ruined, I imagine when the photobucket  fiasco happened. Such a shame, because it was a pleasant day .

• Upvote 1

I found out from the YT clip I was watching that it was the 5th Duke of Newcastle who commissioned it to be built. It was supposed be a slope of 1 in 18, but the architect built it at 1 in 12, thereby rendering it, ( as Carni said) too steep. The central bit was left open to provide light. There are 92 steps from this section to the top, which comes out on Upper College Street. I found it fascinating, due to the fact that as a child up the age of 14, I lived only a couple of miles away.

As a bus driver, I drove by it every day! When we were kids, living off Denman Street we used to go scrumping in the Park, as we knew where some apple and plum trees grew.

Re; the railways in that area.

There were two lines around Sherwood/Mapperley/Woodthorpe, as well as a few connecting industrial branch-lines.

There was the Great Northern Line which went from Nottm Midland out towards Netherfield, then turned up through Gedling, past the Colliery, under the x-roads at Mapperley Top, and ending up at Daybrook.

There was also the Suburban Line which went out through Sneinton, past Thorneywood, parallel with Porchester Road, through Woodthorpe Park, and joined the other line at Daybrook.