• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A brief history.  

Mrs C's 87 year old dad is moving in to his own flat here tomorrow so Mrs C can keep her beady eye on him.    

I do remember seeing the brickworks and it’s tall chimney before it was demolished. Nottingham Patent Brick Company? A disused car showroom and a supermarket now occupy the site. There was an enormous quarry at the top of Woodthorpe Drive from where the clay had been excavated and which is now a housing estate.

Looking on Google Earth it looks like the old buildings of Mapperley community centre might have been part of the brickworks buildings.

• Like 1

thank you to @Stuart.C Lots of information in those links.   I have seen it before but great to reread it all.

Looking at the past and present photos, I think I could be on one of them!  It was outside the house and said ? In the 1950s. There is a girl with a coach built pram on the right.  When I was 13 or 14, I regularly used to take a neighbour's twins out in their pram into the park, and sometimes sat on that seat!  That would be 1956/57.   It is a bit blurry when the photo is enlarged but she actually seems to look like I used to at that age.   Of course it probably isn't me but it gave me a bit of a turn!!!!

It mentions that the last train - a special - was on 16 June 1951, so that would be the one I remember seeing with my mum as we stood  on Woodthorpe Drive bridge.  I was 8

• Like 1

The photo I was referring to is from the top link, photo gallery, No 7 Pictorial past and present, photo number 3

Picture of the brickworks.

Sherwood station along the bottom leading to the tunnel and you can see the railway spur line heading off into the brickworks.
Woodthopre Drive across the top of the picture
https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW057129

9hdqHPU.png

Similar view nowadays;

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9809353,-1.1430216,548a,35y,80.47h,50.98t/data=!3m1!1e3

• Like 1

The first I knew about Nottingham Suburban Railway was when I was buying a house on Mapperley Rise in the early 1980s.  My solicitor said: "Do you know there is a tunnel under there?"  He showed me a plan and sure enough the Sherwood tunnel was directly under the lounge.  His next question was: "Do you want to get a structural survey done?"  I thought that sounded prudent so went ahead.  The surveyor said there was minimal risk as the tunnel was bored through sandstone.

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, Beekay said:

Talking of tunnels. I've just been trawling my nets on Youtube and came across this tunnel from Derby Road to the Park. Half my life in Nottingham and never knew it existed. Anybody got any info on it? (Please).

There's an old thread on the subject with a lot of photos.

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/9990-the-park-tunnel/?tab=comments#comment-136204

Thanks for that link CT. Interesting to find it was talked about all those years ago. Also surprising not a lot of people, including me know about it.

As an aside, I lifted this picture from a 29min.video on YT. It's called,

"Daybrook to Bestwood walk", going along the old track bed. The map shows the old lines that were around that area. I can post the video if anyone wants to see it. I found it very interesting. 

Screenshot-20210116-185124-You-Tube.jpg

• Like 2

The red line from Bestwood through Leen Valley junction, I notice, passed by City hospital. I remember when in Heathfield isolation hospital, with my youngest brother, we both had Gastro enteritis. We spent many hours counting the coal wagons passing by us at the top of a field. I was 11 and my brother was 6. We were in there for weeks, not allowed visitors.

I'm pretty sure we didn't count coal wagon along there Ian.

That miniature track club moved to the transport museum at Ruddington, years ago. There is a thread on here somewhere.

I never knew what happened to that Lizzie, so any info would be interesting.

Beekay  hope this info helps    when we were rehoused from St Ann's we were given a house on Longdale Road which is in Daybrook but postal address is Arnold.   

I'm sure most of you have seen the white wooded clad houses just up from the City Hospital just before Arnold Rd , well these houses go right though to Daybrook Square and they have been built on the old railway line.  The first one's built were Dakbrook end , if I remeber you go down Shirebrook Rd on to Edwards Lane then first turning left and thats Longdale Rd   just remember I think its Longmead Drive not Edwards Lane. It was a long time ago now.

Was the miniture railway near or in the grounds of  Valley rd Tennis courts?

The model railway moved to the Heritage Transport centre, Ruddington. It is called, The Nottingham Society of Model Experimental Engineers, N.S.M.E.E. for short. It's sited adjacent to the Transport centre, (GCNR I think).

I'm sure it's been talked about on here before. No doubt our Guru CT will confirm this.

Screenshot-20210117-104808-Maps.jpg

This is where it was.

3 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Beekay  hope this info helps    when we were rehoused from St Ann's we were given a house on Longdale Road which is in Daybrook but postal address is Arnold.   

I'm sure most of you have seen the white wooded clad houses just up from the City Hospital just before Arnold Rd , well these houses go right though to Daybrook Square and they have been built on the old railway line.  The first one's built were Dakbrook end , if I remeber you go down Shirebrook Rd on to Edwards Lane then first turning left and thats Longdale Rd   just remember I think its Longmead Drive not Edwards Lane. It was a long time ago now.

Mary, I'm not quite sure what this is alluding to.??

I have lots of memories between The Valley road island and the five ways one..........would guess only 300 yards.........

Lived there when first Married.........

Uncle Bill was one who maintained the minature Railway Engine...

Found £20 there once when i was skint....

Played Tennis many times

Played my last football game on City hospital ground just behind Tennis courts...played in goal i was 40.....

Was in the Five Ways when 1st son was born.......

Got lifted off my feet by big black bloke outside Coop........

Small Area large Memories..........