4 hours ago, Beekay said:

Mary, I'm not quite sure what this is alluding to.??

to be honest i'm not sure my self  i just thought members were dicussion about this area. Where the railway line was. Never mind I blame the virus, 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A brief history.  

Mrs C's 87 year old dad is moving in to his own flat here tomorrow so Mrs C can keep her beady eye on him.    

I mentioned counting the wagons from our ward window. My brother and I were in an isolation ward. When we were on the mend, we were allowed outside for a short walk. We used to walk across the field in the hospital grounds toward the railway line, as the hospital kept some pigs in the top corner. From memory, I think it would be towards the direction of Arnold road/Hucknall Road Xroads area. Looking on the maps, I suspect the rail line came from Bestwood to Leen Valley. It was always coal wagons we saw, with empty ones going the opposite way.

Alpha, if you referring to Valley Road Park, the culvert you allude to carries the Day Brook (not the area, but stream). Don't know if it still happens, but to used to be prone to flooding.

We used to live opposite that field Phil, on Upton drive until 1978. I remember seeing that field flooded many times. On one occasion my lad and I were looking at this "lake" and my young un said, "Can't we play football then dad"? (This from a lad in a wheelchair)

There used to be a little putting area there too. The only place 'er indoors managed to score a "hole in one"!

@catfan as I said on another thread, I walked today all around my teenage haunts on Streetview. I went right up to Winwood Heights but on the day that the google car had visited, nobody I knew was out !!

When the original flats were being built, I must admit I didn’t like them ... thought they spoilt the park, but now I’ve decided it looks a beautiful place to live (right next to my favourite park)

• Like 1

A friend of ours lived in one of those towers with his parents, until about 50 years ago, when he got married.  Odd isn’t it?  ........ young people living with their parents until they got married, doubt any of them do nowadays, my two boys certainly didn’t.  There was more respect in those days. 

24 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

They say 'never go back' BK.

One of the things that get me, is all those bloody bins on display.

Front gardens ruined.

18 hours ago, Beekay said:

. I remember seeing that field flooded many times.

Don't know the area, but this rings a bell with me, entering from assuming Woodthorpe Drive take a left, on the left, a substantial property, council? 

on the right, fenced off area, is this the culvert? Definitely something there.

Further down the path, a small shed on the left,issued with a putter and a five iron, scorecard the size of an underground ticket and a tee you could keep!

Holes 1 to 3 heading towards the football pitch, still had goalposts up? Definitely pitch marked out...and very waterlogged...

Think it was known as pitch and putt..

Edit..thinking you may have payed extra for the tee, 25p, think the round was 60p! this was about '79..

HSR.  I think the culvert that they were referring to was on a field next to Valley Road.

You are right, though, about the Pitch and Putt course on Woodthorpe Park...... and the football pitches on there did become waterlogged sometimes as it’s mostly clay soil and doesn’t drain well

• Like 1

Following on from Margies post, the putting area on Valley Road was a very simple affair, like some had just mowed a few rectangles and stuck a hole at one end. You collected your putter and ball from a little shed at the end of the field, (over a little pathway) this was another stretch of field that had I think tennis courts and bowling green.

It certainly wasn't near Woodthorpe drive HSR.

A few memories of Woodthorpe Park....

Played football up there a few times....always remember the 'Underground'' changing rooms in the big old house....and the sloping Pitches...also chased two young 'Lifters'' up there who stole a bag full of Coffee.....they got away.....too fast for me..but dropped the bag of Coffee.........

Sherwood Station 1910, present site of Winwood Heights.

SDherwood-Station-1910.jpg

Sherwood Station clearance 1964. Getting the site ready to build the flats.

Station Master's house in the background.

Sherwood-Station-clearance-1964.jpg

Woodthorpe & Winchester Courts 1965, changed to Independant Living a year later.

Woodthorpe-Winchester-flats-1985.jpg

Winwood Heights present day.

IMG-20190920-134632.jpg

• Like 2

BK..knew I shouldn't chance my arm with a street name!, walked down a steep hill to enter, a small clearing on the left, building on the left once in the park was substantial. 

Was the culvert down a hill to the right of here, near a fence, at the parks boundary?

HSR, absolutely no harm in chancing your luck mate. It's a good way of finding out information from knowledgeable compatriots on here. That's how I've had my memory cells jogged about things as diverse as, Colwick woods, The Park tunnel, City transport, Radford, Wollaton canal, etc. to name just a few topics of which there a wealth of stuff on NS. CT has bailed me out many times. I like to think I've made lots of 'pen friends'.

So keep 'em coming mate and I'll do me best. If not me, some bugger will know.  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

I don't recollect any streams or culverts in Woodthorpe Park. The only nearby stream, the Day Brook, runs through the Valley Rd. recreation grounds and is culverted where it passes beneath roads.

No streams on the park but it does get very soggy at the bottom of the pitch and putt course and other places I believe.

Slightly off target but at the bottom of Woodthorpe, is "The Cedars" opposite, (across Mansfield road)?. 'Er indoors worked there as ward orderly, on evening shift for a while. I believe the Ewing school for the deaf is in the grounds. My lad attended there for some reason I can't recall. Sorry to digress.