• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A brief history.  

Mrs C's 87 year old dad is moving in to his own flat here tomorrow so Mrs C can keep her beady eye on him.    

I remember playing around the old Sherwood station back in the ‘50s and walking through the tunnel under Woodborough Rd. The slope down the hill towards the woods was great for sledging down in the winter. There was a very good pitch and putt course on the opposite slope of the park which I haven’t played on for about 25 years. Woe betide you if you were caught sledging down there!

• Like 2

Phil. I never dared walk under the Woodborough Road tunnel.  I was even scared of going too far into the smaller tunnel!

47 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I must admit it was a bit eerie! I don't know if its blocked off for safety now. Two of my friends went through it about 20 years ago.

Blocked off now but there are YouTube video's showing the tunnels being explored.

When I lived in Woodthorpe in the ‘50’s one way into the park was to climb the bridge wall on Marlborough Rd. and go along the old suburban railway. The rails hadn’t been taken up at that time and I do remember once seeing a goods train on the line. The other way in, out of hours, was through one of the bent railings on Woodthorpe Drive. Just wide enough for a child to squeeze through! There used to be an interesting rock garden on the road side. I presume that’s still there. There were quite a few greenhouses and a garden at the top end. I think they grew the plants for the parks and traffic islands in the City.

1 hour ago, catfan said:

Talking of tunnels,

P1100577.jpg

That photo is taken from the park - it is the small tunnel going under Woodthorpe Drive!

CT The information on the link you posted Is not unite accurate.  
I suppose I’m being a bit picky but if the train coming out of Ashwell tunnel is going into Sherwood station it was going in the wrong direction to get to Daybrook, Bulwell etc as stated!  It looks to me that it was coming out of Ashwell tunnel towards Woodthorpe Drive (where Thomas the Tank engine is now). The train in the link photo  would already have been through Sherwood station before entering Ashwell tunnel.

I saw the last train (a special) go under Woodthorpe Drive when I was a little girl - mum took me on to the bridge to see it

• Like 1
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:There used to be an interesting rock garden on the road side. I presume that’s still there. 

That was called the dell and was originally a very small clay pit for making bricks.  It’s still there but has been landscaped to be a more open space.  Not an exciting place to play hide and seek anymore.  It used to have stone tunnels.....

Sorry Phil, the quote facility didn't work properly.  I was referring to the place you called 'a small rock garden'

Never looked for newts but did play in the brickyard and  picked pussy willow from there.  (Also climbed in the trucks)

Oh yes, the trucks! They were pulled by cable and had a turning point on Breckhill fields where they went back up to the brickworks. That was another good sledging run in the winter. There was a path that went down the side from Breckhill to Melbury Rd. You probably went to school that way.

Breckhill Rd.runs from Mapperley top down to Thackeray’s Lane roundabout. It used to be open fields on the rhs as you descended the steep hill. Woodthorpe Drive runs parallel past Woodthorpe Park and finishes at Mansfield Rd. Sherwood. Breckhill had the No. 25 bus service. There was no NCT service on Woodthorpe Drive. Does that help?

I know Breckhill rd., also Woodthorpe park, as I used to live near there for 10 years. I used to learn some of my bus driving with crashbox on Breckhill.

What I'm having difficulty is placing a train track and tunnel in that area.

BK  part of the suburban railway ran through Woodthorpe Park.  There was one tunnel (Ashwell tunnel) which passed under part of the park, near where the children’s play ground was:still is.  

The other ‘railway’ we were talking about was a little one which ran through 3 main brickyards which were next to Breckhill Road, Woodthorpe Drive and Woodthorpe Road, carrying the brick clay in little trucks.

hope this makes sense....

Thank you Margie for the insight. Would I be right in thinking the main line ran from Victoria, heading North, ( I've seen pictures of a tunnel just outside of Victoria.

Have walked our sons on Woodthorpe park many times. Just can't imagine a tunnel running underneath. Did the main line head towards Mansfield or Ollerton or perhaps some of the collieries up there somewhere.?

We're talking two railway lines here. One ran past Daybook Station under the Plains to Gedling Station and ultimately in to Victoria Station. The suburban railway left the main line just after Daybook Station, went through Woodthorpe, over Thackeray's Lane, Marlborough Rd., through Woodthorpe Park, Sherwood Station, under Woodborough Rd, Thorneywood Station and on to Victoria Station.

I know very little about the suburban railway apart from the bit which ran under the park!    I do know it linked to the main line to Daybrook and then to Bulwell.  There is info and maps on t’internet and I think on Nottstalgia somewhere

you could google Nottingham Suburban railway if you are interested!

just read your post Phil.  I wasn’t quick enough in replying!

Correct me if I'm wrong Phil, but wasn't  there a bridge over Thackereys lane, just before you got to the island?