Radford, near the White Horse

On 1/18/2021 at 6:09 PM, Beekay said:

memory cells jogged about things as diverse as,

Exactly..when I first joined, comfortable musically...great  to take virtual braincell tour!

Must confess gave me a headache

Different approach..beer Goggle's, only know this area though a mate who went to the same  London school as me. he went to Nottingham University.. My Grandparents Nottingham through & through...

Back to topic.. fleeting memories, out of the plainsman, first right down a hill, on the left a small entrance to a park...

A substantial building on the left!!!! council???? (Third time) the fenced off area I initially thought electricity?

This has got me thinking! was the flat area of Colwick Woods once a golf course? Certainly has the undulations, and a 'culvert'

Back to Woodthorpe Park, I do remember those flats, at a much lower level than the golf course, in the. dip think there was a playground. Flats beyond...

Other than the Running Horse, Wasn't there a Green pub in Sherwood? Robin Hood?

There was another In Radford, near the Gasometer, were there anymore?

Always liked that colour scheme, reminds me of the boiled sweet with the chocolate run through....;)

You've lost me with this post HSR. Do remember some Nissen huts on Colwick woods, (my Auntie Evelyn lived in one !). The only pubs I know of near the gasometer were the Midland Hotel, (my local) at the end of Kennington Road and the White Horse, Faraday Road. There was another pub on the opposite corner, The (original) Crown Inn, but this was way before our time and demolished and rebuilt at the corner of Radford Bridge Road and Western boulevard.

• Like 1

Green Boiled sweets, creates a distant memory of my Grandparents, Granny always had a preference for a Nuthalls Minto,

Green pub.. Right hand side, heading towards the city..just coming off a flyover..

Ilkeston road.. ??

Thanks for the encouragement BK..

I will continue to post, but become more focused in future..the downside of this...zero responce! ;) 

Brilliant Bk.. think that's it, always thought that looked like an interesting pub, only saw off a bus,, walked by once after visting a mate at Uni.

I assume it's near a gasometer?

Hopefully correct with Radford, I went to the Gregory many times to see Dawn Trader.

Also once went to a pub, Marquis of Lorne? Name sticks because I couldn't find it.

I find on here it's abit like taking a quiz, where you you set your own questions! 

Thanks....

You're more than welcome. You're correct about the gasometer, although it was over the bridge, on Triumph road, can't remember if there were two. I do remember opposite this pub, there was a place where you could buy coke or coal. I often used to go there and buy a 28lb bag of coke when I was about 12/13, this would be about 1956.

When I was a bit older and we had moved to that area from a slum clearance up Denman street, I used to drink in that pub. This would be about 1961, it was either that pub or the Midland hotel, (just over the bridge). They a lovely crowd in the "White Hoss", I used to belong to their table skittles team, which was very popular and very competitive.

• Like 1

Morning Dave, in reply, not quite sure whose coal yard it was. I assumed it belonged to the gasworks. It was just round the corner on Faraday rd.,on the opposite side to the White Horse, probably 50-100yards down. Once fetched a bag of coke, after staying off school and while waiting for a 39 trolley, who should pass me on his bike, but our class teacher, Jim Sullivan !!

Incidentally, there was a bloody lovely chip shop next door to the 'Hoss.

• Like 1

Thanks CT. Just had a Google walk down Salisbury street down to Faraday road. All totally unrecognisable. Would be really confused driving round that area.

Beekay, Sorry got the wrong opposite, I was thinking across from the pub frontage on Ilkeston Road. Glover's Oils was in a dilapidated old building, the owner's son was Jeremy Glover a well known national hunt jockey. The chippy was very good a regular haunt for us after a night out in Ilkeston, Mansfield or sometimes The Festival. 

• Like 1

I remember the Anglo American garage. I always fancied one of those big Yankee cars. One of my uncles had one in the 50's. An Oldsmobile 88 with lots of chrome and big tail fins. It did about 12mpg. He got fined for hoarding cans of petrol in his shed during the Suez crisis!

Where was this AA garage Phil. Can't say I remember a garage opposite the White Horse, I would have passed it on me way to school. This would be up to 1958. I left that area when I got married in 1965.

NB.Had a Google walk down Kennington road, another area totally changed, although did see me old house. That area was known as "Sodom", never found out why. Noticed the allotments had all gone too.

Not sure how this thread turned into Radford, but the chippy next to the pub had seating down stairs for sure. Ate there a few times on my lunch hour.

• Like 1

@BeekayI think the American Automobiles garage was on the LHS of Ilkeston Rd., before Faraday Rd. Willbonds are in an old building and I think it was just past there, where the student flats are now. I’ve never had cause to go round there in over 25 years. RR may be able to be more specific. 

Talking of Winwood Heights,

I remember the afore mentioned American Auto garage as being same side as White Horse a couple of buildings back, as Phil said where the flats are now.

But may have been later than 1965.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9555101,-1.1822268,3a,75y,124.94h,87.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQyW57ijYYerr9gjqh1tLMw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Probably where the hoardings were in 1949

eEIvjcr.jpg

• Like 1

Looking at your picture rings bells, but looking at your link means absolutely nothing to me, I've never seen any of those buildings before. Going back to your picture Stuart, there used to be a cycle shop just above where the hoardings are. Not only that but Camms coaches had a little office cum  shop about there too. I once tried to buy a cycle at the bike shop, put me deposit down but when I went back a week later I had turned down for HP as I  was only 17. Never did get a bike until I  was 68.

Top fuel drag racer Barry Shevalls owned AA they are now based @ the old central studios in some form, supplying cars for films, archway to a courtyard & Radford Mill, Two Wheel Centre, Skills Booking Office, Wilbonds showroom, across Bright Street, LSD Bookies, Beeroff, Sunblessed Bread Shop, Paper shop, Wool Shop, Barbers, Tailors, George Shepherds butchers, hardware shop.

The coal merchant was Jeffords & Sons, went to Sidney Pearson Hill with his Son who now runs the business.

• Like 2