Radford, near the White Horse

Thought i'd put this on this thread instead of the boxing one....it suits because the White Horse was for many years the home of Radford boys boxing club......used to drop one of my sons off there to do his training........also worth mentioning are the numerous young Amateurs that went on to become Champions in the Pro game,,,,one who never gets a mention was Roy Smith who became British Cruiserweight champion in about 87 or 88...he was managed by another Nottingham ex champion Wally Swift.....

The club was run by the Smith family...yesterday on Facebook i was saddened to learn the two i knew best are no longer with us....one of their sons informed me..............

My son loved his time there and made many life long friends....Radford Boys not to be forgotten.....

• Like 2

Beekay  Hope I haven't asked you this before, but my Aunt, Violet Charles, lived on Kennington Road in the 60's and possibly earlier, but can't remember what number.  She had 2 sons and  one of them might have been around your age - Raymond Charles.  I wonder if you remember them?

Hello Annswabey, I'm not aware that you've asked the question before, certainly not to me. I lived on Kennington Road from about 1957 to 1965, when I got wed. That road must be close on half mile long and we lived right down the bottom, next to the railway. The name seems vaguely familiar, though I cannot ask any of my family as they've all passed away, (my older brother and two younger brothers). I remember a few names from down there so don't give up on me. I'll get back to you as soon as I can. A pity you can't recall your Aunts  house number. Take care. B.

Lots of Charles (went to school with two) still around Radford & Crown Island area still on the road you mentioned, my gang have family links with the Sandfields, along with the Elliot’s who any Kennington Road residents worth their salt would have known :Shock: all good work hard, play hard families.

• Like 1

So my scatty, reminiscent cross references get the blame! ;)

Bens reference to Boxing, i could have done it again,reminded me of a column in the evening post, back page inside or overleaf bottom, next to it was the Jim Bean Greyhound column, I will create another thread..

Annswabey,  this is where your Aunt lived. It was lower down the road from us, (it's  the one with white door). We lived on the opposite side.

20210124-093650.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I lived in the Bungalow at 160 Faraday Road about 50 metres from the White Horse. I remember an American chap was the manager there and I used to play with his daughter.

Our backyard adjoined Camm's Bus depot. I lived there until about 1958 when we moved to AInsley Estate.

I remember parking' my car in Camms depot, when they took us to the Grand Hotel, Sandown, I.O.W. That was back in the late 70s. Also remember being at school with Valerie Camm circa 1957.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Radford Boy,  I wanted to ask you if you have any memories of Mr Laurence Hartley?  He was a teacher in the 1950s at Forster Street School and I notice you mentioned you attended that school.  He sadly passed away in 1990, but his son is researching his history and I would be very pleased to be able to pass on anything.  Many Thanks

Jen

Hi Jendaw,

I remember the name but unfortunately that is all. The only teachers I can really remember are Mr. Dixon and Mr. Guthrie however,

I may have a class photo somewhere with Mr Hartley in it. I'll dig out the old photos and let you know.

Cheers