What do you know about Bob Marley, reggae, cannabis, marihuana?

"Legal Highs" are become a problem lately. Governments continue to make each new drug illegal but fail to ask themselves why they have to keep doing this. Drug use is down to social problems - sort out the social problems and you will sort out most of the drug problems at the same time. Humans have used Cannabis since time immemorial; it has been found in pot remains (no pun intended) from Neolithic times. No amount of criminal punishment will stop its use - only make it more glamorous. Cannabis plants have recently been bred to make them stronger and more psychoactive. The reason for this is purely their illegality. The more you make something illegal the more it will be seen as something to aspire to amongst the population; especially that portion of the population that needs to turn to drugs in order to make their lives tolerable and to forget their social deprivation. Of course, not all habitual drug takers are socially deprived but a great many are and their problems are ignored by successive governments.

Not entirely true Compo, as some leisure drugs are very expensive and are out to reach of people in so called poverty.

I'm personally sick to the back teeth of this 'excuse' of being socially deprived. They are so called deprived due to their own violation.

NO sympathy here I'm afraid. It's a total lack of self control !

I once knew a girl called Moira Marley at school, wonder if she was related............I liked reggea, but have never been into drugs......

I detest reggae and drugs.

A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James is the winner of the 2015 Man Booker Prize for Fiction.

The 44-year-old, now resident in Minneapolis, is the first Jamaican author to win the prize in its 47-year history.
A Brief History of Seven Killings is a 686-page epic with over 75 characters and voices. Set in Kingston, where James was born, the book is a fictional history of the attempted murder of Bob Marley in 1976. Of the book, the New York Times said: ‘It’s like a Tarantino remake of “The Harder They Come”, but with a soundtrack by Bob Marley and a script by Oliver Stone and William Faulkner...epic in every sense of that word: sweeping, mythic, over-the-top, colossal and dizzyingly complex.'
Referring to Bob Marley only as ‘The Singer’ throughout, A Brief History of Seven Killings retells this near mythic assassination attempt through the myriad voices – from witnesses and FBI and CIA agents to killers, ghosts, beauty queens and Keith Richards’ drug dealer – to create a rich, polyphonic study of violence, politics and the musical legacy of Kingston of the 1970s. James has credited Charles Dickens as one of his formative influences, saying ‘I still consider myself a Dickensian in as much as there are aspects of storytelling I still believe in—plot, surprise, cliffhangers’

I'm going to get that book for my husband! He's spent a lot of time working in Jamaica in the last 20 odd years, in particular Kingston. One of his good friends in Jamaica is the accountant for the Bob Marley family and the Tuff Gong group of companies. I'm sure this book would keep him quiet for a few days ......

• Upvote 3

FLY2 #31: You are right to detest drugs but it is not always the illegal ones that do the most damage. One word....THALIDOMIDE.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 years later...

Early Marley

Late Marley

Dig!!  :)

• Like 1

If yer've ever done a three hand 13 skin spliff on the back of a couple of album covers......  :) you should 'dig the Ganja

And yet..

'How long shall the wicked reign over my people'.