Hello Nottingham, just received a copy of my gggrandfather's 1853 marriage certificate from St. Barnabas. My question is has anyone heard of the section called Smiths Yard, that's if it even was a section for all I know my ancestors could have been living in the yard of a family called the Smiths :). Would love to hear anyone's response.

Me and the present mrs Frank were married in St Barnabas Cathedral on the 22 Aug 1970.

I remember standing outside with my best mate/man looking across at the Strathdon Hotel (one of the few in Nottingham that still has the original name) thinking - mmmmmmm, wish it was finished and the bar was open. smile2

Never got the chance to have a 'nerve steadier' before the ceremony. :(

According to

www.british-genealogy.com There was a Smith's yard, Glasshouse-street, which is also a possibility.

Nottingham 1844 - List of Streets, Lanes, Yards and Courts, etc.

http://www.british-genealogy.com/resources...ces/1844str.pdf

Wow thank you all. Dang even a picture. Mick2me thank you also for the brit geneology site. It seems as though the old family spent at least 30 years in Nottingham, doing more research hope to find out more. The town that they settled down in the US has a church that looks very very similar to St. Barnabas. Interesting/fun stuff. Chasing down information was what brought me to this site.

btw my family's surname is Tarpy.

Not just me Shari, glad we found it for you.

You can buy a better quality picture from, picture the past org.

Now I know where it is I may be able to find a map copy for you.

If you need any more help and information, let us know.

Note, ensure your email address is correct here, subscribe to this topic, and you

will recieve notification of any replies.

Not just me Shari, glad we found it for you.

You can buy a better quality picture from, picture the past org.

Now I know where it is I may be able to find a map copy for you.

If you need any more help and information, let us know.

Note, ensure your email address is correct here, subscribe to this topic, and you

will recieve notification of any replies.

my sister-in-law went to school with Ann Tarpy. Angela, my sister-in-law, was born in 1942 and went to Radford Boulevard school her maiden name was Mart.

I also knew a Doug Tarpy from my younger days in Nottingham. He was a miner at Babbington Pit.

An unusual name so you never know.

A lips0

The plants look as if they are thrieving on the juices which are oozing from the thunder boxes....must have been a early form of plant food pity they didn't bottle it they could have sold it to Wilkos and made a fortune from it......and then they could have bought there own slum house........just a thought.... :Vampire:

The plants look like Laurel.Very Hardy plants they were.

Shut up and take one of your pink pills.

OK I'm on me way.

Here comes the nice man in the white coat. B) Wheeeeee!!!!

Baz :ph34r:

Smiths Yard Off Millstone Lane Nottingham.

Millstone Lane off Hockley somewhere near St Marys Church. circa 1820

Is your name or are you connected with BRADY?

Millstone Lane, is shown on an old map as near glasshouse street, which matches other reports here