Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone can help identify the age of a map I found in my loft. I know it was framed years ago by by granddad who enjoyed collecting old maps and book. Until a few months a go it was hidden in the loft, but is now hanging proudly in my front room. 

We believe it to be late 60's early 70's due to.

Queens medical center not built

lady bay bridge is shown as a railway bridge.

Colwick loop road is not built.

St Ann's is the old St Ann's, pre demolition

If anyone can help date this map I'd be very grateful. 

Thank you in advance.

Lee

16125377362016092207149069838215.jpg

16125377764203428823048440647183.jpg

16125378044873751149847076414178.jpg

1612537834756699505368074491097.jpg

I would guess this map dates to around 1959 because you can see the section of The Nottingham Canal that ran alongside Charlbury Rd is filled in. IIRC this occurred around this time plus I can see no sign of Peveril School on Robins Wood Rd. I think this school was completed about 1958.

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Lee

I’d agree that it’s around late 60s  partly because of the things you noticed.....and I'll add a few others.

Clifton Bridge is only in its first version, not the multi-level version you see today. That started in 69-70.

No QMC.

Clifton Boulevard (from the river to Dunkirk) IS marked, and that was built in the mid 60s.

No housing on the west side of Clifton Lane opposite Clifton Estate; that started in 1970.

The Meadows is still the old version.

Lady Bay is still a railway bridge - that line closed in the late 60s.

And I'm sure other people will identify other features which might suggest late 1960s.

I have a map off the Web that I think I have nailed down to 1960.  A couple of differences I spotted in the parts you shared are:

Next to Highfields Lido, mine says Open Air Theatre and yours says Pavillion.

Bottom of St Anns Well Rd, mine says Mecca Bingo and yours says Hall.

Bear in mind that maps lag behind demolition and new builds.

What about the railways? Are Victoria Station and its lines shown?

I think it is around the late 50s early 60s my great grandad lived on Sutton St. right behind Notts County football ground i used to visit there quite often during those times but now i dont see the street on the map i dont now when Sutton St was demolished.

There is no flyover at Clifton Blvd and University Blvd. So about 62/63. I recall being on the 53 service, Mansfield rd. to Dunkirk remember the turn round being that island, prior to it's extension to Clifton.

CT, it must have opened before then. I'm only saying because I remember as a conductor when the 53 was extended to Green lane, Clifton. That must have been up till November 1964, when I turned 21 and went into the driving school. I was the second conductor to make that shift. The lad who did it the week before me collapsed with exhaustion, when getting back in the depot. (Sunday service only to Clifton).

I doubt if we can say for certain; it shows things as they were over a number of years.

It's just about possible to see the area around Maid Marian Way. Part of it is there, but not quite how it eventually ended up. And the top end of Chapel Bar is still open to traffic, and it looks as though you could still drive down Albert Street, Lister Gate, Carrington Street etc; which stopped being a through route by the late 60s.

Hi guys. 

Thank you for all your replies, some good observations! 

6 hours ago, The Engineer said:

I have a map off the Web that I think I have nailed down to 1960.  A couple of differences I spotted in the parts you shared are:

Next to Highfields Lido, mine says Open Air Theatre and yours says Pavillion.

Bottom of St Anns Well Rd, mine says Mecca Bingo and yours says Hall.

Bear in mind that maps lag behind demolition and new builds.

What about the railways? Are Victoria Station and its lines shown?

I'll look at Victoria station in the morning and let you know. 

If anyone would like a picture of a particular area please let me know. I'd be more than happy to post it. 

Once again. Thank you very much guys. I wish I could pin point when and where my grandad got the map, it might help narrow it down further. 

Leebo_c, welcome to the Ministry of assistance. Reference to your grandads maps, is there no printers name anywhere around the edge of anything on the back? Forgive me if you've already explored this possibility. I'm looking forward to the outcome of your quest. Good luck. B.

Hi Beekay. Yes the makers is Geographia Ltd. I did some research on this last night. Which puts my guess out slightly. 

Going by the address they use it puts the map at 1964 or earlier. 

The company used a Cumberland code but I can't see this anywhere.  I'm loathed to take the back off but I feel I might have to in order to date it properly. 

Thank you all for your help once again.

Lee, would it take long to take a series of pics to cover the whole map?  Different parts might trigger memories of different people and aside of that, a lot of us just like looking at old maps!

Not at all. I'd be happy to upload some pictures for you all.

A little further update. I took the map down and there is a sticker on the back. Boots picture framing department 29th August 1969. 

So I think it's safe to say the map dates from the 60's at least. 

Leebo_c,

Thanks for your feedback, it tallies with what I thought about it being circa 1964. I was dating it from what was NOT on the map, which coincides with my time on Nottingham City Transport. Glad to be of some minor help. Regards, Beekay.

• Like 1

Don't  know about anybody else but I can't see the maps because bloody photobucket assessment boxes and ads.

A pain in the area map. !

Lee, try comparing yours to this one that is said to be c1960 (the cartography looks similar):

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/resources/maps/Nottingham/nottinghamstreetmapc1960.pdf

Burrows Street Map of Nottingham (c. 1960)

On 2/7/2021 at 3:01 PM, The Engineer said:

Lee, try comparing yours to this one that is said to be c1960 (the cartography looks similar):

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/resources/maps/Nottingham/nottinghamstreetmapc1960.pdf

Burrows Street Map of Nottingham (c. 1960)

Brilliant, Thank you for that. Certainly some differences in only a short time.    

Later i feel. Its pre 69, as that's when it was framed.  The only other clue I have is the address for Geographia which makes it 64 or earlier. without taking the frame apart and looking for a date on the back of the map, We'll have to guess. haha