Hair clippers for the lockdown?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You Dad was quite right @mary1947you know what's under a pony's tail?  

I was due a haircut in the week the lock down started, my son cuts his own, with what I call the thug cut extremely short, so I asked him to TRIM mine. He did not understand the word trim , after the

Brilliant clippers. Did most myself in about a minute then Mrs PP trimmed back and sides.

Our’s is a Wahl.  For Paul, I use a no 2 first, then a no 1 in some places, finishing off with just a straight shave on the top!  I use a no 1 on his eyebrows.  Takes between 5 and 10 minutes to do...

• Like 1

I have a Wahl.  I bought it as a beard trimmer, but it does my hair as well. 

The downside with the cheap re-chargeable Wahl's is that the blades do get blunt over time, but I think I've had this one for about 5 years which isn't bad for something costing about 30 quid.  My hairdresser always used Wahl trimmers, but they were 'professional' and mains powered.  I believe she could also send back both trimmers and blades for service/sharpening. 

P.S.  Kev.. why is your Moai not wearing his mask properly?

I also have Wahl clippers must addmit they have lasted a long time. Brought them from "Pompadour's for the salon in 1970, used for at lest a year in the salon. used to cut my 2 boys hair, and grandsons hair. Now just cut master's hair. well worth the money you get what you pay for, just remember to oil the blades with clipper oil each time you use them. You can also get the blades re-sharpernd. 

If you use clippers make sure you cut the hair the way it grows. Don't forget to use your guards as if not you could end up with no hair at all.  Your right MargieH nape of neck guard 1 to obtical bone, thts the bone that sticks out just at bottom of your ear lobe.then no 2 and if you want it a bit longer on top no 3.  Do the same at the sides no1 then 2. if you think of the letter c this is how to use your clippers,  letter c in.up and out.   if you have a doulble crown then cut it by going round in a circle. If any of you like a flat top then use an afro comb hold it ontop the lenth you want it then just cut with your clippers, no guard. if you want tram lines which at one time every one ask for them, make the lines with a straight comb (not teeth end ) make your lines by dipping comb in talc, then turn you clippers up side down and place on line.     

20 hours ago, Brew said:

Mine is now so long it will need a combine harvester...

Next meet up Brew  I will bring my clippers along.  I hope your not going to have a pony tail.   

My Dad allways told me never to go out with a man with a pony tail.

• Like 1

Mary1947 , While your on the subject of hair cutting tutorials, 'er indoors has suggested I have a go at doing her hair. She is getting a bit peed off with her barnet, it's just coming down to almost shoulder length. She usually has it shorter but not page boy short. I don't want to scalp her so what's your suggestion?

When my hair gets a bit long I just grab it between my fingers, twist it round and chop it off. I’m not too worried about looking smart, just being comfortable. As I wear a cap when I go out in this cold weather I used the pudding basin method yesterday by putting my cap on and trimming of the bits that hung down.

On 2/11/2021 at 9:52 AM, Beekay said:

Mary1947 , While your on the subject of hair cutting tutorials, 'er indoors has suggested I have a go at doing her hair. She is getting a bit peed off with her barnet, it's just coming down to almost shoulder length. She usually has it shorter but not page boy short. I don't want to scalp her so what's your suggestion?

Hi Beekay when you cut her indoors hair, if you play snooker it's easy peasy or just think of angle's 90 degree's 45 deg's 25 degree's  0 degrees' make sure you used sharp scissiors. (for her hair not her neck) if you can invest in some cheap hairdressing from boots (who care's) and always cut hair wet then you should not get solids lines. this is a basic uniform layer cut. Starting on the crown, take a small section of hair about 2 inch long about 1/4 inch wide. sorry don't work in metic. using the points of your scissors NOT THE FULL BLADE cut of the amount you want. less is better than more as you can not stick it back on this piece of cut is your 90 deg now work you way all around the head, taking same size section and bring it up at 90 deg. then when you get about 4inc from your crown ex you should now be just above your ears  start by now doing your 45 deg then take each setion from below to your 45 deg then next section 25 deg then 0 deg.  your hair should now be looking quite professional. Then feel (not her Body ) her hair of cause lift it up in all directions and if you have any bits that are longer just do  that section again. You can allways start this cut from you nape.  Hope this helps Beekay but I will not be held resonsible for your finished result. ps if you find you have got a clump because you have taken a too large a section then you can what we call chip in, just pick up the clump and with your points just cut or chip the ends, a bit like thinning hair out.    

• Like 1