New Member - Sussex Street & William Squire

Ay up! First 18 years of life in Stapleford and Nottingham. Now live in the south but I'm still walking the streets of Nottingham most days in my mind. My gggrandfather William Squire was a chemist on Milton Street, Zion hill and then at 11 Sussex Street where my ggrandfather and grandfather lived with him. I've never seen a photo of his shop. Be great to see a more detailed map of Sussex Street. I know the shop was near the Rancliffe Arms.

How do Alan, welcome to NS, or the "Crazy Gang" as some folk call it. You might like to know that you're not the only ex-pat living down in the deep south. I'm just down the road from you, near Sheffield Park and the Bluebell railway.

My sister in law lives in Stapleford. Look forward to hearing more of your memories. Kindest regards, Beekay.

My neighbour, down the lane, is a qualified steam engine driver. He mainly works on the Great Central Line at Loughborough but he sometimes goes down to drive on the Bluebell Railway. He’s been doing it for years, I was at Mellish with him but he’s three years older than me. He needs to pass a medical to drive but that’s similar to the one for an HGV. His claim to fame, years ago, was as lead guitar with the Beatmen. Obviously he’s not driving under the present circumstances.

Sussex Street top centre (same area: 1884, 1901 and 1915)

https://maps.nls.uk/view/115392407

https://maps.nls.uk/view/115392410

https://maps.nls.uk/view/115392413

Phil, back in 1989/90 I used to drive steam locos. Mind you, it was 3.5 and 5 inch gauge, up at Tonbridge Model Engineering track. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Alan Charlton said:

and then at 11 Sussex Street where my ggrandfather and grandfather lived with him. I've never seen a photo of his shop. Be great to see a more detailed map of Sussex Street. I know the shop was near the Rancliffe Arms.

This might help as well. You can see Rancliffe Arms marked; and the old Trade Directory shows the pub being 9 Sussex St, so your relatives were next door.

q28cBfz.jpg

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Alan Charlton said:

Ay up! First 18 years of life in Stapleford and Nottingham. 

APOLOGIES to trogg,,,but i have to mention went out with a girl who worked in Rowells...do you remember them Alan?.........i worked in Savemore just below when it first opened...then later did some security in the Coop opposite....the girl lived on West avenue....still see her now some 50 years later........

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to New Member - Sussex Street & William Squire

Alan, you my have already seen it, but there's a tantalising nearby pic, aren't they all!;)

Shows Current St on the right and the Woolpack Inn on the left, sign removed! 

Your shop would be just a few yards down over the photographer's right shoulder.

I to,  have relatives in this area in the 1860's.